Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Melbourne night rides?
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

After nearly six months off the bike I really need to get out more. Does any of the Melbourne based guys fancy a weekly night ride?

I am really not keen on solo night rides. The deep seated fear of things that once preyed on our ancestors runs to deep for me.

Anyone interested?

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Mate, we are popping out your way in October with the view to moving in the following year.

I’ll catch up with you in about 18 months then….

PS: I’ll be armed with approximately 4.5k lumens
    PPS: Can we take guns?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pop over to Launceston and I’ll meet you at the airport (only 1hr!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uphillcursing
    Free Member

Mike,
    That would be an expensive night out!
    Love tubs,
    No guns I believe.I had an air rifle I had owned since being a kid and was advised not to bother taking it.

tinytim

I’d be keen to join you if free after work.
    Currently working at St Vincent’s hospital, living in Kew.
    Cheeky trails along the Yarra should be better in the dark… the snakes will be asleep!
    Email in profile

bigrich

lysterfield is the place for nightriding, i’d be up for that.

tinytim

Whereabouts are you two based?

bigrich

Yarraville. Westside!

The plantation.at the youies is good for a night giggle too.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Mount Eliza here.

From what I have seen of Lysterfield it would be well suited to night rides. Nothing there to take you by surprise.
    Going to have a look and see if I can find my lights when I get home.
    As long as you chaps don’t mind being followed by “Thomas the tank engine” huffing and puffing along I am up for it.

corroded
    Free Member

I might be up for night rides too. Moved to Brunswick a couple of months ago and yet to sort out a bike but when I do bunyips beware!

cr4zyb0y
    Free Member

Lysty is awesome for night rides…but I too find it utterly terrifying solo…I am a gigantic wuss.

Need to dig those lights out now daylight savings is over….

uphillcursing
    Free Member

So,

Does anyone have a preference for which evening? Tuesdays and Wednesdays are usually a no go for me but other than than I am usually OK.

Just charged the magicshines up but need to get a new rear light. Will try and pick one up tomorrow.

bigrich

Did a night ride there last night. 23 and dusty. Mondays or thursdays are best for me

clubber
    Free Member

ah you guys are making me reminise about my trip to Melbourne for Australia Day 2002 when we did the “Rowing Ashes” against an Oz crew. We were based out of the Melbourne Uni boat house and I saw a good few of the students had mtbs. As we went a fair way up the Yarra I’ll admit to bring distracted at times wondering if there were mtb trails nearby.

One day I’ll be back as I loved Melbourne.

bigrich

I have a spare bike and quite possibly a spare set of maybe functional lights.

zokes
    Free Member

Any of you lot fancy a trip across the Mallee for some Adelaide riding?

stevego
    Free Member

I’m getting out at nights here in warrandyte, ride either local trails or out towards sugarloaf and smiths gully. You’d be welcome to join. The guys from the local bike shop go out most tuesday/thursday at about 6 ish also.

stevego
    Free Member

Would love to ride adelaide. Might be there for christmas (I know its a long way off still), but unlikely to have the bike with me. It’ll be a family holiday with the brother-in-law who is visiting. If I can swing taking the bike I’ll get in contact

zokes
    Free Member

@stevego

Ironically, we’re planning on heading your way for the Vic alps at xmas, and also won’t have a bike 🙁

I do have a spare I’ve been meaning to finish for a while though, so if you can ride a 16-18″ in comfort, and are over this way at xmas give us a shout in case we don’t get round to organising our own holiday (which is quite a possibility!). Nowt fancy, but it will stop and go, and be reasonably light.

stevego
    Free Member

Have to see how it pans out. Brother -in-law isn’t the most reliable when it comes to long-term plans. I’ll let you know closer to the date.
    Cheers

cr4zyb0y
    Free Member

Hey Steve…I’ve heard but not been able to find anything on sugerloaf. Any good?

stevego
    Free Member

There is nice single-track down the side of ridge road from near the sugarloaf gate, also all the stuff near smiths (the paths near rob roy and off the happy valley track). There are a fair few paths around there, lots of up and down hills.

stevego
    Free Member

Drop me an email (sgoodall2@googlemail.com) some time and I can show you around out there, I do out early on weekends (pre dawn) as it means I can get back 10ish for family time. I go out evenings also when time permits, often riding from here in warrandyte.

Fat-boy-fat

Just watch out for the roos when you’re night riding at Lysters. They can be fricking deadly when they charge across you at full thrap. Ah, I miss night rides at Lysters.

antigee

stevego – Member
    There is nice single-track down the side of ridge road from near the sugarloaf gate

moving out to Melbourne from Uk in August with family – trying to get head around what is where – google tells me that sugerloaf is a reservoir with walking/sailing/picnic spots and think found main entrance and ridge road- anything else in that sort of area? we plan on being based Hawthorn/Balwyn/Brunswick suburbs as somewhere in that that will suit work commute / schools
    don’t need you best secret single track just would be nice to see some other places to ride just out of the city

stevego
    Free Member

Other good places are Wombat state forrest (near woodend, the You Yangs near Geelong (never ridden there but lots of people rave about it) and Forrest (past Geelong towards Colac) which has great tracks. There is good single track along alot of the yarra als. Follow single track which leads off the main bike trail anywhere along it. Some is great, some sections not so great. You need to be careful as it is multi-use and some nutters use it as a training track, causing issues with walkers. I know of a cople of people who have had head-ons there with overly fast riders.
    Off for a sneaky early morning ride now before our (non-cyclist) visitors awake.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Lights now located and charged. Im proposing Thursady night (12th) for a spin out at Lysterfield.

Anyone else care to join me and stop the “night beasties” feasting on me?

stevego
    Free Member

Mind them drop bears, vicious claws and teeth on them.

antigee

cheers stevego will look those up – nice to be convinced not just flat bike track stuff – will look out for city folk training intensely – wanders off to google “drop bears”

edit think it’ll be ok have arm wrestled a few flying badgers

bigrich

after an easter weekend of heroic wine and food consumption, I needs a ride out! I’d be up for Thursday.

stevego
    Free Member

I’ll be getting out tonight (local ride, starting warrandyte-ish) and thursday morning (9ish for a few hours), the joys of being a teacher in school hols (and managing to farm out the ids for a few hours)

slinkybike
    Free Member

Two Good weekly night rides in melb at the moment are the coummuter cycles ride most weds(ring the shop and ask if it’s on) yarra trails they take no prisoners though it’s fast. Also the weekly dirt crits under the westgate it’s $15 if you have a mtba licence and there is most weeks a beer or two after. The same mob orgainse dirt crits at lysty as well check out full gas promotions for details.

bigrich

is everyone on rotorburn? there’s a pm system over there.

stevego
    Free Member

I am, SteveG, but I don’t tend to lon in as much

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I do not fear the DropBears. I have a special pointy attachment for my helmet. 😈

stevego
    Free Member

A few other places near to melbourne which occurred to me include Buxton and Lake Mountain, Mt Buller, Red Hill (down the peninsula, never been there but they have a club). There is probably stuff near healseville (there was a downhill club out that way I think). FUrther out is Beechworth and Mt Beauty. Sure I’ve missed lots of places.
    Cheers

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Melbourne night rides?’ is closed to new replies.