Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Megavalanche – total costs?
  • dizcostix
    Free Member

Thinking about taking part, either this year or the next. Anyone done it while keeping a total record of what the trip cost?

Breakdown would be useful:
    -race entry
    -accommodation
    -travel (either driving or plane)
    -insurance
    -food + beers
    -bike parts?
    -any extras to think about?

rough costs to give me a good idea please!

mafiafish
    Free Member

Race entry = c.50-100 quid depending on pack
    Accommodation = you can camp in Allemont or live it up in a private chalet. if you’re going with friends a self-catered chalet or apartment might work out the best value
    Travel = c.£200 plus transfers we drove as a three but were out there fore two weeks. I wouldn’t want to drive for just a week. Worked out about £180 in fuel each over two weeks.
    Food an beers = supermarket beer is very cheap, food is a little more expensive than UK but that comes with being on the side of a mountain in a tourist hot spot. you can shop down t’valley for cheaper fare.
    Bike parts – take spares prices are nuts and demand very high during Mega week so you might not get what you want or have to pay through the nose for the next spec up because everyone’s bought the entry level stuff to keep them going. I was looking at £60 for an x5 shifter. I stayed singlespeed after that.
    The insurance depends on length of cover, for one week covering DH racing probably 15 quid ish but I’m not expert.

nealglover
    Free Member

Travel wise, depends on how many would be travelling. If it’s 3 or 4 driving is a great option if you have the right vehicle available for all your kit etc.

Mafiafish- £540 on fuel 😯 Really ? I drive to the Alps a quite a bit, and could get from York to Alp D’huez and back twice with that kind of fuel spend (and I drive a Van)

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Free to camp in Alpe d’Huez, up the top near the lifts.

br
    Free Member

If you drive, tolls (about the same as fuel).

honourablegeorge

Bike parts – take spares prices are nuts and demand very high during Mega week so you might not get what you want or have to pay through the nose for the next spec up because everyone’s bought the entry level stuff to keep them going. I was looking at £60 for an x5 shifter. I stayed singlespeed after that.

Couple of years back there was a tent village in the centre of Alpe D’Huez, loads of UK shops had stalls, prices were good – local bike shops less than pleased.

mafiafish
    Free Member

It might have been a bit less that (internet says it should have cost about £400) as we were driving most days and went to Morzine for a week beforehand. We were taking full advantage of the nice roads too and rocking on as much as you can in a fully-laden berlingo. If I were doing it again I’d do it in more of a “drivers'” car with AC though (It can get very, very hot down in the valley e.g 35-38degrees).

steveh

I’d say…

– race entry – 100
    -accommodation – 80 Based on sharing a self catering apartment with friends.
    -travel (either driving or plane)- 200 ish by plane if booked early or with 3 in a car
    -insurance – 30
    -food + beers – Very hard to say but for a week 100 if you don’t go mad. Beer out is expensive but cheap from the Supermarket.
    -bike parts? – Again take spares with you but budget on a set of tyres and pads over a week so 80
    -any extras to think about? – Nothing in particular springs to mind.

So that’d work out as around 600 for a week. If you had 3 folks and a decent fuel efficient car with early bookingf for ferry etc you’d knock another 50 off that easy enough.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Megavalanche – total costs?’ is closed to new replies.