Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • "Mega" or "Five" You decide for me (maybe!)
  • PolisherMan

Been posting all day and contemplating for months.
    £900 vs £1400

It will have Mazocchi 44’s 150mm. So perfect for the 5, just about ok for the mega with external headset.

The 5 is right at the top of my limit price wise.
    Gonna be ridden around the rocky pennines mainly plus big days in the hills. Lakes mainly.

tried and tested with 3 year warranty vs cheaper new and 2 year warranty……

Rorschach
    Free Member

Covert 😕

PolisherMan

NO, listen to the rules…..!

steezysix
    Free Member

YT Wicked 150 for the same price as the Five frame?

nick1962
    Free Member

Titus El Guapo or a Heckler.
    This is STW you didn’t really expect people to answer your question did you?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Butcher…not Heckler.

kayak23

Mega, and buy yourself a ccdb with the change…

momo

Not sure if this’ll help sway your decission, but Rutland cycles had a medium mega frame in raw finish for £699 when I was in there a week or so ago, was tempted to buy it myself, might be worth giving them a call at the Whitwell store to see if they’ve still got it.

Personally I’d find it very difficult to justify a 5 at double the price if these were the only two frames I was looking at!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

why are all these bikes so small (Mega, YT, Canyon Strive etc). It’s not fair, I want one but being 196cm tall they just won’t fit.

Sorry, as you were (although if anyone does know of an option not in the silly money price range let me know)

PolisherMan

It’s between these two cos I’m showing amazing and supportive loyalty to my LBS (and I ride/drink ale with him).

The Mega does leave some usefull change for bits, the 5 don’t.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d get the five if i wanted a trail bike, and the mega for riding bigger mountains. I have a mega and it’s great if you have the big terrain to do it justice. You could build the mega as a lighter trail bike for those long days out but it would sort of be missing the point.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Whipersnapper, get in contact with Nukeproof. They are considering doing a run of XL megas for guys your size.

creamegg
    Free Member

I’m showing amazing and supportive loyalty to my LBS (and I ride/drink ale with him).

will he be giving you and ‘amazing’ discount then? I’d expect around 15% off anyway but seeing as your mates you’d get a lot more would’t you which could have an effect on things? Ok you’d have even more money left over for bits if you went for the mega but with a decent discount you’ll have enough money for a maxle and possibly CCDB (if you wanted one) for the Five. Don’t forget though that if you want a custom frame colour for the Five it could cost up to £100!

I can’t comment on the mega as ive never ridden one but i love my five, although for the same price I do like the look of those transition Coverts!

toys19
    Free Member

Just in case you were unsure of the covert, here’s mine..
    Its a brilliant bike.
    A couple of brand new frames on ebay for £1100 and £1099

ask1974
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the Mega but I bought a 2012 Five back in October. Quite simply blown away buy this bike… I’m 6′ with a 31″ leg so went for the 17″ frame. At first it felt slightly wrong but changing the 50mm stem for a 70mm sorted it. From then on it’s been a revelation. Regular 40km rides on it, comfortable and fast but when you point it down hill… I’m carving gully’s and searching for jumps – brilliant 😛 😯 😛

Huge recommendation from me. Also, I get your comment re LBS as I did the same. But I did get a very good deal 😉

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

I would certainly stay loyal and go with the five. Fantastic bike with exceptional custermer service. The covert is more expensive in the long run when things go wrong!

PolisherMan

Yeah I may not be telling the truth about the 5, mates rates….still dear though.
    I really can’t stretch to the maxle for a five.

I think it’s gonna be the Mega, it has a bolt through rear, sounds as though they are both similar weight and both “stiff as”, but still slightly worried about the 150mm forks on the mega. They’re not changing as brand new.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If you buy the Mega you’ll always be left thinking “what if I’d stumped up the extra for the 5?”.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I would be wary of taking advice from rupert on this. Here’s a post of his from 3 months ago. At the time he was riding a Dawes Galaxy! Several posters suggested that a bit of trolling was going on, myself included.

“rupertpostlethwaite – Member
    New to the forum so hello everybody, my question is regarding the new orange persuite, I’ve been recommended this by my biking friends, who say it’san exceptional allrounder and one that i’m interested in finding more about. I’ve chosen the orange brand as they have a very good reputation and exceptional aftersales policy. At the moment i’m riding a dawes galaxy but now feel ready to bite the bullet and “update” my bike, i also feel my riding has improved over the two years i’ve been cycling and maybe worthwile buying a f/s “full suspension” so could anybody please share with me there experiences of the new orange persuite? what size frame should i be looking for? I’m 5ft 9″
    Thanks all.

POSTED 3 MONTHS AGO # REPORT-POST”

B.A.Nana
    Free Member
    rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Thanks for that matt! 🙄 was that not 3 months ago, I know a lot more now hence the latest post! Yes ok if that’s what you think. Have you nothing better to do than check peoples history!

andylux
    Free Member

Yeah Matt, leave Rupert alone. I’m sure since December he’s been shredding the gnar lots on his Orange Persuite in the snow and shitty weather.

PolisherMan

SO… Mega or 5 ?

Matt24k
    Free Member

So Rupert, in the space of 3 months you seem to have progressed some what from riding a Dawes Galaxy and stating in your profile “I’m new to riding and thought what a jolly good idea to start my learning on a cycle forum”.
    You are now able to tell us that “The covert is more expensive in the long run when things go wrong!”
    I only check peoples history when I am buying things from them, I think that they are trolling or talking B.S.
    If you are for real then I apologise unreservedly.
    To the OP if you are going for the 5 then I would say a rear Maxle is highly desirable and only cost effective when buying new.

godzilla
    Free Member

MussEd
    Free Member

Dont think youll be missing out if you buy a cheaper frame. Orange 5 are one of the cults on here and Im amazed there hasnt been more of a frenzy to recommend them on this thread TBH. A riding buddy of mine swapped his 5 for a Mega and I know he doesnt feel he’s missing out….another guy I ride with has a 5 and swears by it…

If it were me, I’d buy the Mega and use the extra money for better build…Just make a decision and if it’s not right, punt the frame! Either of those will still sell 2nd hand no bother.

reedspeed
    Free Member

5 !

mrblobby
    Free Member

They seem quite different bikes though, with the Orange Alpine being more Mega like. I’d say that if you want a bike for big terrain then get the mega, otherwise get the five. Your choice of forks suggest that the five may be the better bet for you.

creamegg
    Free Member

matt24k has got a point! If you dont know from personal experience why try and influance somebody’s opinion when you dont know jack?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I have an Orange but at full rrp they are overpriced. You’d have to really love the brand and your lbs mate not to get the mega from jejames in the link, basically half the price of the 5.

I actually think coverts are one of the best value frames in the class, you’re getting $2k niche quality ala Yeti, turner for $1k Mega/Heckler money.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If the fork choice has to define the bike, then I’d go for the Five.

That aside, the choice depends more on your proportions and intended riding though.
    I have a 2010 Five with 44RC3 Ti forks and love it. It hasn’t felt out of its depth yet in Lakes, Calderdale, etc, which is where it gets most of its use.
    I’m 6’2″ with a 34″ inside leg and the 20″ Five is perfect for me with a 50mm stem as I’m long legs/shorter body. It’s far more manouverable in tight techy stuff than the Commencal Meta 5 that I rode previously.

Haven’t tried the Mega but I’d not build one with less than a zochi 55/Fox 36/RS Lyric.

As other have said, I’d think of the Mega as more of an Alpine 160 equivalent.

twotonpredator

i am unsure of 5 frame weight but having seen the weight of mega’s in various builds (all with lyriks/36’s) you are having to spend big to get it under 30 lbs.

mine is 34lb with lyrik coil u u turn, reverb, pro 2 evo/flows, xt/slx.

Limy
    Free Member

one more thing to consider is you what drive chain set up you want to run. The Mega can only take a single or dual set up with a max chain ring size of 36T. On the Five you can run bigger and a triple. Its more relevant if upgrading an existing bike and wanting to just swap all the bits over. I haven’t ridden either but have mates who have got them and neither has said a bad word about either bike.

creamegg
    Free Member

@twotonpredator

which have you got? the Five or mega?

trout
    Free Member

I have mega with rockshox I think 140 or 150
    I like it. it does big stuff and small stuff. even canal bank stuff and on the road stuff it’s my only bike and I like it .

can the OP find one in his area to have a go on welcome to have a spin on mine if in the west Yorkshire area.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Buy the bike you want the most, in my experience gut feel is generally right.

catvet
    Free Member

Easy
    if the frames weigh roughly the same, in one hand hold 2 bearings, in the other the load of bearings from a multipivot bikes, and ask yourself one question, if the frames weigh the same, where has the extra metal been removed from to achieve the same weight !

Superficial
    Free Member

My feeling is that if you’re trying to shoehorn the wrong forks onto a bike it’s not going to be that nice. I also think the Mega is kinda overkill for most riding in the UK, but some people like that sort of thing.

Given the choice, I’d go for the Five, although my money would probably go somewhere else.

honourablegeorge

catvet – Member
    Easy
    if the frames weigh roughly the same, in one hand hold 2 bearings, in the other the load of bearings from a multipivot bikes, and ask yourself one question, if the frames weigh the same, where has the extra metal been removed from to achieve the same weight !

Dunno about you, but my suspicions would be towards that mahoosive ugly swingarm on the five.

PolisherMan

Recommendations so far…11 ish for the 5. 4 ish for the Mega.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘"Mega" or "Five" You decide for me (maybe!)’ is closed to new replies.