Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Mega Nuke Proof Are They That Good
  • grantway
    Free Member

Looking at the Nuke Proof Mega and are they That Good?
    I was to look at the Alpine 160 But i have invested my cash
    in another place.
    First is there anything different between the 2010 to the 2011 Nuke.
    I have seen a couple of broke Nukes and how was the service!

So will want to demo the Nuke for a frame only purchase.
    then sell me Orange 5 frame as needing a slacker head angle.

Thanx for you input

mildred

Your post reads like the scam emails I’ve been getting about my car.

Are you a Nigerian Prince with an offer of thousands for my final price?

z1ppy

Some info and a bump…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I have mega for sale. All boxed with cousin away on business, payment by western union thank you please.

boxxer7
    Free Member

lol^^

Love mine, Try and get a ride on one if possible, Its a fair bit cheaper than the Alpine, you could even get a CCDB for it much cheaper than the orange frame.

The monarch is rubbish if you ride hard, great for long XC rides but doesnt do well when things get hairy. The broken ones were from a batch of silvers i believe?

grantway
    Free Member

Thanks zippy great help

LOL to the above just bought a family place in Alicante so loose
    cash all gone
    so thats why i am looking at the Mega

A friend is taking me to Narvana cycles as they have a demo bike.

steveh

I’ve seen silvers and blacks break, I know of two folks who are on their third back ends. Service for replacements has been very good though.

grantway
    Free Member

boxxer7 did you try the Alpine too
    and was there a huge difference?

Steveh is it that there riding the bike past its capabilities/designed for?
    I wonder if this years version of the frame be stronger than 2010

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

An Orange 5 is fairly slack. Where do you ride the requires such a slack head angle and 6 inches of travel? Could you not put some sort of angled headset in the Orange 5 frame?

steveh

I’d say not really over the top for the bike no. A bike like that should be able to take most things!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think theres some videos of some good riders on Orange 5’s on youtube. Shows whats possible on the bike. Perhaps refine your riding skills before splashing a load of cash on a possibly dodgy frame? A skills course is a fair bit cheaper than a new frame.

grantway
    Free Member

Hi Davdtaytforth I have the 2008 Orange 5 AM and just doesn’t work for me in tight corners
    as the front is raised higher, tried assorts of things so thats why i was looking at the Alpine
    at first but maxed out in spending.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Is that the one with those 160mm fox floats? Perhaps reduce the travel in them, thus lowering the front end and steepening the head angle. This may make it easier to go round tight corners. Slacker head angles are usually worse round tight corners. 160mm forks on that bike also seems a bit overkill. Perhaps lower them to 140mm and get a reducer headset if you still want ti to feel slack.

grantway
    Free Member

Yep mate done the lowering including having a zero rise stem
    but i need a slacker head angle for the steeper downs
    so lowering the fork only works on the flats and tighter corners.
    but not going over the edge

I thank you dave for you input and help

bone_idle
    Free Member

Get some stabilisers save you a fortune

Paul-j

have you thought about angle set bushing for your rear shock, lowers the BB as well.

Dancake
    Free Member

Spend some money on a skills course and ride your “bike of the year”

Mugboo

Admit it you just fancy a change!

Nowt to be embarrassed about, I can’t help it either 🙂

Plus one for a bit of coaching.

Northwind

5 is pretty damn slack! About as slack as my Hemlock, slacker than my DH bike. Mega isn’t really such a drastically different bike.

So in all honesty I doubt you need slacker but if you’re like me you might want slacker. Check out Works Components, £75 for a head angle reducer doobrie and shorten your forks or switch to something more appropriate for the frame.

Mega is not really such a different bike to a Five IMO. There’s nothing much out there that’s significantly slacker, and for good reason.

climbingkev
    Free Member

I’ve rode a 5 (good), 5AM (just wrong and unbalanced), alpine (good also) and ended up buying a Mega which is better up and down IMHO. And bags cheaper! The shock is the weakest link but for the price of an alpine frame with 36’s you could get a Mega with CCDB and BOS Devilles! Which would be awesome!

freeride_addict
    Free Member

can speak from first hand experience – we (the guides at trailaddiction) broke 3 swing arms this summer but it was a manufacturing / quality issue soon to be fixed permanently (wait for press release from Nukeproof). My personal bike has had 1000km’s of HARD riding (5000m+ rocky descent per day, lift accessed) and its still rock solid.

The bike is the best all round bike Ive ever ridden for any sort of aggressive trail riding. Love it to bits, pedals better than an orange. “too slack”? ride it, then tell me that. I have a set of 2 step lyrics on mine, very very rarely bother to run it in shorter (steeper) travel mode.

Only criticism would be a slightly too low BB – ie catch pedals a lot. But then again, it feels sooooo planted when ridden fast.

flow
    Free Member

5 is pretty damn slack! About as slack as my Hemlock, slacker than my DH bike. Mega isn’t really such a drastically different bike.

So in all honesty I doubt you need slacker but if you’re like me you might want slacker. Check out Works Components, £75 for a head angle reducer doobrie and shorten your forks or switch to something more appropriate for the frame.

Mega is not really such a different bike to a Five IMO. There’s nothing much out there that’s significantly slacker, and for good reason.

What he said

zangolin
    Free Member

freeride_addict – Member
    can speak from first hand experience – we (the guides at trailaddiction) broke 3 swing arms this summer but it was a manufacturing / quality issue soon to be fixed permanently (wait for press release from Nukeproof). My personal bike has had 1000km’s of HARD riding (5000m+ rocky descent per day, lift accessed) and its still rock solid.

freeride – Interested to know how the RS Monarch shock has worked out or did you fit different?

boxxer7
    Free Member

Haven’t risen an alpine I’m afraid, I used to own a patriot a few years back but I’m sure they have proberly changed a bit since and that was set up DH so not a good comparison.

grantway
    Free Member

Paul j – Member
    have you thought about angle set bushing for your rear shock, lowers the BB as well.

What are these Paul j ? got any pics or links to buy.

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind I want to go 1-1.5 slacker this is the 08 version
    Thats why i see the Mega as a cheap substitute to the Alpine all there angles are like the Alpine
    for near half price.

grantway
    Free Member

So Freeride_addict you reckon these are good then
    does it feel weird with the 150 rear and 160 upfront.
    and not to un balanced.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Tbh I’ve always tended to run my bikes with more travel up front than out back, Defintely doesn’t feel in balanced, I’m not sure how others feel.

Northwind

grantway – Member

Northwind I want to go 1-1.5 slacker this is the 08 version

Ah, fair dos, I thought yours was more recent. So it’s what, 68 and a half? And standard headset or tapered? You can knock a degree off it with the Works kit, though that’ll lengthen it as well.

Don’t worry about mismatched suspension, they do different jobs so no reason they should be the same.

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind its 68 with a 140 fork and standard hope headset.

What is the Works Kit do you have a link for this please.
    With the 160 fork on the bike its rises up higher at the front end
    and difficult in tight corners and single track.

Northwind

Works Components:

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/

Like a Cane Creek Angleset except cheaper and better and made in England 😉 With standard steerer tube you can only reduce the head angle by one degree. I’ve got these in 2 bikes now, really useful bits of kit.

grantway
    Free Member

Appreciate that Northwind So these actually work.
    What was your head angle before and now?

Northwind

Not totally sure tbh 🙂 TBH I don’t worry much about the numbers. Hemlock ended up around 66, 456 around 67 with the fork wound out I think.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Just back from 5 days in Molini freeriding on my mega,

22,000 metres chasing a trek Session DH. so much fun 😯

Bike is incredibly capable for only 150mm travel. although i took off the monarch and run a Vanilla R (but would do that on any bike)

I have a 1.5 lyric up front but with a Totem it would be even faster….the back end of the bike feels so planted and stiff. Just the lyrik basically was beyond its call of duty chasing the session down any real fast sections.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Mega Nuke Proof Are They That Good’ is closed to new replies.