Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Medial ligament support recommendations
  • iamtheresurrection

The ice claimed a win yesterday on my commute into work and left me with ligament damage to the ankle and knee (seriously considering returning to flats in the bad weather now)!

The main discomfort is coming from medial ligament damage to my right knee. I’m looking at one of these as support in an effort to both reduce the risk of further damge but also get me back on the turbo (at the least) in a few weeks. Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

Cheers

Craig

Talisker
    Free Member

I managed to tweak both my medial ligaments in seperate incidents, nothing too serious, just grade one sprains. First one took an age to clear up, second time I was in to the physio twice a week and skiing again in 6 weeks. Used a braced support initially but had to remove the inner stay as it put pressure on the ligament. I found cycling to be fine apart from when I forgot about it and dismounted, swinging my whole body around on the injured knee.

balfa
    Free Member

I’ve no experience of medial support but after 5 surgeries (ACL,PCL & Shattered kneecap) I use a Donjoy Armor brace whenever I’m doing sport. It certainly isn’t cheap but is a world away from the one pictured above. If its something you are going to be using for a prolonged period I can definitely recommend the Donjoys. I don’t notice it at all when cycling. Only problem is it can scuff your top tube if its not protected.

iamtheresurrection

Cheers both. I’ll have a look at the options and speak with the docs tomorrow…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

A bit of man up may help in this instance.

riverdog
    Free Member

I have had a recent problem with a Medial ligament strain, and found braces/supports too much, I used KT tape, which is a cotton adhesive tape, applied to the front and side of the knee. There are “how to” videos on youtube, as the placing of the tape is critical, but I found it the best solution for me. It gives gentle support without pressure/restriction/chafing/rubbing etc

My advice is don’t rush to get back on the bike too quickly. I got back to cycling quite soon as it seemed walking/climbing stairs was painful, but cycling was fine, however with hindsight, it never really healed properly and came back with a vengance when I started to do hill intervals resulting in 3 months off at the peak of the race season.
    I found the key to be active rest with stretches, exercises and massage, its very difficult to stretch the ligament, but massaging or pressure with the thumb on the side of the knee directly on the area of the ligament was what finally sorted mine out.

good luck and be patient !!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Medial ligament support recommendations’ is closed to new replies.