Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mechanic advice from interweb forum fairies
  • Irish_AL
    Free Member

I have to say I tend to lurk in the background these days, posting very little and generally logging on and reading the sometimes brilliant threads, which reduce me to tears.

Some of you know me quite well and are aware I have been spannering in the industry donkeys. I used to post advice on mechanic issues, but stopped as there always seemed to be some IT bloke who knew better, most of the time their advice was complete twoddle. Every so often there would be a little jem to which I would tip my hat to and use in our workshop.

But I digress, I am concerned slightly about a new craze which I have seen an increase in over the past few weeks. WAXOYL! Which bright spark came up with the idea that Waxoyl on disc’s was a cunning plan or am I missing something here?

I have had half a dozen cases now of Waxoyl and one which involved MR Sheen polish and then the complaint that their brakes no longer stop. Admittedly the MR sheen one did result in rotors with a mirror finish

scotroutes

The only reference to Waxoyl I’ve seen is as a frame-saver for steel frames (and even.the the jury is out). Do you have a link to one of these threads or is something you’ve seen locally?

argoose
    Free Member

not heard of using waxoyl. have heard of using cola. any brake issues I usually rub discs with muddy water, my thinking is the grit scrubs the disc and pads clean. works for me .

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

New craze?

Sounds like some one has been trolling a forum somewhere.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

No Links sadly, but it is appearing on some odd bikes. Yip Waxoyling a steel frame I have seen before, but not for many years.

The ones I am seeing at the moment range from enduro bikes and xc hardtails the Mr sheen one was on a downhill rig and this morning waxoyled bike is a jump bike.

None of the riders seem to connected to each other.

To be fair they don’t seem to be STW collective members, and I certainly haven’t seen anything on here suggested its a great idea.

Was just wondering if any of the collective have come across it suggested else where?

nickjb
    Free Member

Waxing your brakes makes you faster – FACT

scotroutes

I think someone might have posted a joke response to “how do I stop my brakes squealing” and it’s been taken seriously.

harryparabolics
    Free Member

Waxing your brakes makes you faster – FACT

Dunno whether it makes you faster, but it certainly doesn’t slow you down… 😆

Northwind

Waxoyl on discs? Was the question “What can I use to **** up my discs if I don’t have any oil?”

I can’t even figure out why it’d seem like a good idea to do that. Stop rust?

Irish_AL
    Free Member

just spoken to one of our sales guys who lives in internet forums more than I do. Apparently there is a thing for using waxoyl on chains during the winter season, but not entire bikes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mechanic advice from interweb forum fairies’ is closed to new replies.