Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • MBT tyre advice
  • leigh0rough0riders
    Free Member

I am an advancing novice XC track and trail etc mountain bike rider who needs some help with tyre set up. So am looking for expert advice from those who know and have used many different types of the better make tyres.
    I do not have tubeless rims and am still using V-brakes.

I am looking for a strong, reliable, all rounder, all year, all terrain, all season, fast rolling U.K. ‘summer’ tyre. Ok you are going to tell me there isn’t one, but which is the best tyre to go for (front and back), for mainly use in spring, summer and autumn, on U.K. trails, tracks, single tracks, paths, roads, but that can handle wet roots and wet rocks plus loose ground and mud. Plus the odd ride in winter, and preferably one that does not puncture so easy.
    I have been looking at 2.2 tyres (26in x 2.2ish fast rolling XC / Trail tyre with good grip).

Which compounds are best, and can any grippy tactile rubber roll fast? Which is best for fast rolling but gripping wet roots etc, or is that a contradiction?
    What does ‘PSC’, and ‘WCS’ stand for, or mean?
    Is it best to mix and use different tyres front and back?

Basically what would you advise for my type of riding and why?
    Thanks!

leigh0rough0riders
    Free Member
    MarkyG82

Yes you are looking for the holy grail. I have been using Conti vertical pros for a couple of years now and they have been perfectly fine. It seems they don’t rate well on here. Not sure why. I wil replace with another set of something or other that are on offer at the time probably as winter kicks in to make the most of the tread in the wet.

As long as they are made of rubber and dont fall apart then I’m happy.

leigh0rough0riders
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I have been on a learning curve and looked at many tyres and read many comments and reviews. Then put my own thought on it.
    I will first buy my front tyre and then see which is best to match.
    It was a difficult selection but I was eventually drawn to the Bontrager XR4 2.2 (Team Issue TLR). It looks a well priced all rounder 3 season summer tyre. However English summer for the last 4 years has been wet and muddy, and this year although warmer June has been a wash out. So instead I am seriously considering Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili with 180tpi (850g). Baron doesn’t have many write up’s but all are good and it appears a good choice for British conditions. My only worry is on some rides we do many miles on roads, and it is not a hard pack tyre.
    I think I will probably go with it and see, but I shall then be asking opinions for a rear to match it.

neninja
    Free Member

You’d be better off looking at the Conti Rubber Queen or Mountain King II rather than a Baron for the riding you are describing. You’ll find a Baron hard work on the tarmac.

There are loads of other good tyres that would fit your criteria though – Nobby Nic, Maxxis Advantage etc etc.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

advatages are my favourite, don’t expect any wonders from them in the wet, but then there are wet tyres which are worse.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘MBT tyre advice’ is closed to new replies.