Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • MBR – Jacobs Ladder
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

In this month's MBR they claim to have ridden all of Jacobs Ladder, in sections. Having gone up yesterday evening, I don't think there are a few bits that there isn't a line up and that to do it all, even in sections would be impossible.

I noticed that in their article they only have photos of them riding the easiest sections, none of the death-steps etc and the grid reference they have as the start point is the wrong side of the summit.

Thoughts?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Thoughts?

Ignore any of the route information given out in MBR.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've ridden all of it in sections – its my fitness that let me down.

I'm not that amazing a rider, so I'm sure there will be plenty on here that have ridden it.

fatboyjon

Does the mag not say that Nick Craig cleaned all of it in sections? That I can believe.

mt
    Free Member

same article every 2 years in all the mags but ST.

hora
    Free Member

Its impossible to ride the top section of Jacobs ladder- immpossible. You'd wheelie and go backwards. You'd need a MX bike and balls. Im assuming Edale side up? Or do they mean the long 3 mile climb from the Hayfield direction?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I think your first line is a bit sensationalist (OP).

The story is that they tried to clean the whole of Jacob's ladder without dabbing and couldn't.

However, whilst practicing for the final attempt they broke the climb up into sections and managed to clean these sections individually (with breaks to recuperate in between/pick the best lines, get advice from one of the few blokes who has cleaned it successfully etc.).

Seems fair enough to me.

cp

i don't know how far up he went, but there was an article a few years ago in a mag, i think it was nick craig cleaned it top to bottom in one hit.

i've not attempted it in a while – you've given me some inspiration for a ride once i get my forks back on the bike 🙂 the higher stuff where there are some big steps – i've cleared those, just not done it all from the bottom.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Well it's not that hard to do nearly all of it in one go (for an experienced rider such as myself like 😉 )

However, I'm of the opinion that the top bit is impossible. I've heard claims against this over the years, and have ridden it with Nick Craig/Fred Salmon/John Shaw (ex pros) and have never seen anyone do it. I'm happy to be proven wrong though!

Pre-steps it was closer to being possible but I never did it.

djglover
    Free Member

It wouldn't be STW without the all the pompus snobbery about other mountain bike magazine readership. I bought the MBR mag this month, becasue I wante to find out about routes in the peaks, not about some niche 29er 14 spoke wheels and a load of old giffers testing bikes they can only dream of having the skill level to ride properly and then said bikes being likened to some kind of dog. personality: red Setter. Piss Off

nbt

i think it was nick craig cleaned it top to bottom in one hit.

I've cleaned it top to bottom in one hit several times. Bottom to top is a bit hard though 😉

fatboyjon

djg, the jam from your doughnut seems to be under your chair.

Imagine you're in a happy place and smile a while. Most magazines readerships think all the others are wierd and always will. I read most of the bike mags and think they've all got good, bad and average bits.

cp

aye, good point, well spotted! Me too 🙂

of course meant bottom to top !

taka
    Free Member

i think your all jealous 8)

Andyhilton
    Free Member

to echo mt and cp posts. There was an article 2 or 3 years ago (maybe more) and Nick Craig did clean it bottom to top in one. I think Paul Lazenby did on a fs marin too.

fozzybear
    Free Member

IIRC nick detailed he dabbed twice.

Kramer
    Free Member

This is a subject that does come round fairly frequently in the mags.

peachos
    Free Member

you'd need a hell of a lot of stamina to get anywhere near close to the top. i got to the first corner in about 3 dabs and was completely ****, and i consider myself a half decent climber. maybe with the right bike (not 36lb 6" FS) and in broad daylight i'd get around that corner but you've still got a loooong way to go even from there. you can clear the first stepped section after the gate by sticking tight to the corner and taking the line to the left where there is an eroded cut away section but once you summit there you've landed in the thick of it and would have to power your way straight up and over the next section, the bit where there is a definite smoother section that has been laid that zig-zags around the bigger jagged stuff. clear that and you've got a relitively easy section to recoup before the cobbles, which again you'd need high rpms to keep your momentum up – a tough section after what you would have just done. into the gorge bit with a couple of step-ups(which i cleared last night so they can be done) and you're home free. king of the mountain.

can it be done? possibly. if you're of superhuman qualities. but worth a shot just to see how much of it you can ride. i'd love to see someone do it.

descending in the dark is highly recommended though 😀

pantsonfire
    Free Member

The problem with Jacobs ladder is the fact that it goes on for a good way what stops me and most others from cleaning it is lack of fitness. If you broke it down into small sections of say 50 yards I imagine quite a lot of us could clean all of it with a bit of practice after all most of it is no worse than a lot of other climbs.

cp

maybe we should organise a forum challenge – one saturday morning, rock up there and see who cleans it 🙂

Kramer
    Free Member

cp, that's a great idea.

hora
    Free Member

Respect due to whoever cleans it. Even on a mx bike I wouldnt clean that.

peachos
    Free Member

flats or spds though!?

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

SPDs everytime!

Junkyard
    Free Member

NFM – not for mortals IMHO

Kramer
    Free Member

I've not no chance, but it'd be fun to try.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

For clarity, I don't read ST and I wouldn't say I read MBR either, it was just what they had at the train station. No inherrent bias or anti-xx magazine stuff from me. In fact I was surprised when a few people pointed out that MBR have a reputation for not riding their routes, I don't know how true that is though. Still, it's odd that they have the start grid reference as the Hayfield side, but the pics are fromt he Edale side and there isn't any pictures of them riding the really hard bits, which are the obvious bits to photograph.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I don't see why it'd be so hard assuming you had a level of fitness way beyond what most of us have (and the skill that comes with riding that much). It is just very steep and long. You'd have to be quite strong mind, and good at staying on the bike over the big rocks, but no way is it impossible.

Joe

nickc

We need BWD here, his mate Guy Kestaven has a minor obsession about cleaning the ladder, and has done a couple of articles about it in WhatMB, I think one or two cleaned in in one go, could be wrong though

thefallguy
    Free Member

there isn't any pictures of them riding the really hard bits

this is probably to do with the photo editor designer choosing photos to suit page layout rather than mbr not riding it. Photographer will always ask riders to session certain bits, often in wrong direction for lighting purposes. Otherwise it would just be arses a la sfb.

I'm usually off within the first 30 seconds

Onzadog
    Free Member

I cleared it once. It was years ago and I think it's become rougher since then. I was younger and fitter and my bike was lighter with a longer stem so better at climbing. These days I don't seem to be able to get from the bridge to the first right hander most times.

peachos
    Free Member

joemarshall – Member
    I don't see why it'd be so hard assuming you had a level of fitness way beyond what most of us have (and the skill that comes with riding that much). It is just very steep and long.

it's not all that steep though. more like very loose, rocky and relentless!

richpips
    Free Member

I was the photographer for that MBR article, and can say it was all done in sections by all three riders, After spending a number of hours sessioning the climb everyone was too tired to do it in one.

This vid shows Nick and Danny cleaning the bottom section for the doubters.

http://vimeo.com/5820832

fizzer
    Free Member

Nick Craig cleaning it was in What MTB? magazine a couple of years ago. I seem to think Paul Oldham was with him & did it too. If I can dig out the mag I'll confirm.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

richpips – I don't think the bottom section is in doubt, that's the 'easy' bit (although as pointed out not as easy as it used to be). We need a video of someone cleaning the cobbled steep stepped bit at the top.

Wookster

I think its possible for sure, but your talking mega fit and skilled with a big hit of luck! As for me I'd reckon I'd do about 30 meters before getting off for an enjoyable walk to the top!! 😆

I'm sure it been in one of the mags too and WMb springs to Mind like with the others on here.

Would be intresting to see how top level guys would do like Julian Absolom or Lance Armstrong? No issues with running out of gas with those chaps!!

richpips
    Free Member

richpips – I don't think the bottom section is in doubt, that's the 'easy' bit (although as pointed out not as easy as it used to be). We need a video of someone cleaning the cobbled steep stepped bit at the top.

The bit captioned "Milner ruined lungs.." is taken as he crests the cobbles. Nick was quite able to start at the bottom of the top cobble climb a number of times for pics.

IMHO no matter how good a rider you are if you've got the stamina to do the lot, it's the bottom section still that is most likely to derail your dreams of making it to the top.

Sanny
    Free Member

I rode down it two years ago with the guys from GMBC when we were on a riding trip to the area. Reached the gate part way down and got bored waiting for folk so ended riding back up to the top of the climb. Didn't realise it was the famed Jacobs Ladder until I topped out, dab free. It was a challenging climb but I think I had expected it to be much harder than it was. The bottom section looked to be far harder given the loose rubble that litters the trail. Keen to go back and give it a go. 😆

Cheers

Sanny

D0NK

I never have and never will clean it but it's all do-able (or was last time I went up there dunno if it's changed much), so in theory all I'd need is someone elses legs a third lung and a very good day

🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

I heard that Craig, Kesteven and some bloke called David Millar had a pop and only Craig managed it with rests on sections.
    The MBR attempt seems similar.
    I do seem to remember a relay attempt that succeded many years ago.
    I've never seen anyone ever clean the lot, not now and not post steps.
    Getting up around the first bend is pretty good going.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘MBR – Jacobs Ladder’ is closed to new replies.