• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gee.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • MB Bike Race in Combloux – absolutely insane
  • gee
    Free Member

Well, they said it’s the hardest race in the world and they weren’t joking. 7100m of climbing in 90 miles (although I thought that was too easy and so did a bit more – I got a bit lost after about 30km having missed a turn and ridden up an extra hill, then back down again!!). The climbs were endless, mostly they were rideable which was good. Maybe 500yds of walking in total which I was really pleased by.

It is absolutely roasting here now – 35 degrees for our race yesterday. Tim came 10th and I came 20th – but I lost 40 mins and about 8 places because of a series of problems other than getting lost! So, I got lost, then after 60km my rear brake failed – the banjo on the calliper undid itself. Since when is that even possible??!! So, I had to ride a 900m vertical height descent with one brake, stop in a tech zone and fix it; the commentator got on the mic in the arena and put out a request for an XTR bleed kit, 5 mins later a chap ran across carrying one! After explaining that he really didn’t need to be running, he bled my brake and all was well. The mechanic made me promise not to quit – so I knew I couldn’t let him down.

After about 85km I got a puncture, and what a faff that was to repair as the tubeless valve was a bit reluctant to undo, then my (now repaired) rear brake fell off – yep, the mounting bolt same loose. Luckily I noticed before they actually fell out. I never normally have such bad luck!! I am so picky about maintenance too – I know it was all done up before the race as I checked the day before – it was just such a brutal course. The descents were absolutely mental – a variety of euro bombing rocky fire roads, massively gullied/rocky/rooty trails, stupid steep switchbacks and a downhill track with massive berms (that was the bit I only had a front brake for). Ignoring the problems, Tim would have finished about 20 mins ahead of me; we were pretty even on the hills until I got lost, but he was destroying me on the downhills. I don’t fare well when I don’t know where the trail goes.

I finished in 11hrs 30 min, an hour behind Tim (but actually about 20 mins riding time!).

GB

wallop

That sounds absolutely nuts. Well done!

sarpullido
    Free Member

Hi George. I saw Tim and you in the list of participants. It took me 13 hours and 51 minutes. Best ever marathon race by far with very technical downhills. Loved the feeding stations. Had 2 near bonk situations after 100km but managed well on that scorching heat as I tend to get dehydratated very quickly.
    Next time NO rigid forks!!

gee
    Free Member

Yep rigid forks must have been absolutely horrendous on that course…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘MB Bike Race in Combloux – absolutely insane’ is closed to new replies.