Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mayhem – is it too big?
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member

As the title, should the number of riders be capped at a lower limit? I know of other races (& Im sure others do too..) where the numbers are kept low to avoid the course ending up being trashed. I for one do not get a kick out of riding in the sh1t. Its ok but hell not the slopfest Mayhem can be thats for sure!

sharki
    Free Member

It’s an endurance event, you’re not meant to get a kick out of it, you’re meant to endure it.

That’s why they have it during the wet summer and not in March or September when it’s dry and comfortably warm.

For me the numbers make it what it is, Not that i aim ever to do it again. I like to enjoy my rides, not endure them.

mboy
    Free Member

It sells out almost instantly, and lots of entries get turned away… Is it too big? It’s not big enough according to demand!

And what Sharki says… It’s an endurance event, clue is in the title!

Sharki, will have those tyres with me over the weekend, just gimme a shout I’ll come find you if you’re about.

njee20
    Free Member

Its good because it’s so big, if it were smaller you’d be annoyed by all the mud and the crap course, yes the course is pretty dull, but you know that, it’s just about riding with thousands of other like minded folk.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not too big, no. Just in the wrong place at the wrong time of year.

Jason
    Free Member

I think it has got too big with all the add on events this year. It is a big and successful mountain bike event, does it really need a running race and a dog event on at the same time? The none bike stuff on Friday evening has really limited the time the course is open to practice on – although I doubt too many people will bother with a practice lap in the rain anyway…

Unless they limited it to a very small number of riders, the course will get trashed in the wet anyway.

rOcKeTdOg

i’d say yes after visiting the Bristol Bike fest which seemed chilled and friendly, but that’s a 12 hr not 24

nickf
    Free Member

The none bike stuff on Friday evening has really limited the time the course is open to practice on – although I doubt too many people will bother with a practice lap in the rain anyway…

A couple of years back, the practice sessions pretty much trashed the course before it started!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Smaller events are available – SITS for example.

I’d like to see Mayhem bigger.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve done plenty of enduro events (both home & abroad) & I like to enjoy my riding not endure.. Some of those events deliberately cap numbers in an attempt to try to ensure that the quality of the experience is kept high, rather than trying to ram as many people as possible into an event.. Where numbers have been capped the effect has been noticeable. I wish here in the UK we would show a little more concern for the damage to trails a large number of riders can do under poor conditions in a very, very short space of time.

Interesting what PP said: “wrong time of year”‘ so when’s a better time given our unreliable climate?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

its good because its big, the best moment is always the night riding coming out of the smaller woods (west I think) and seeing all the lights from the campsite in the middle of know where.

5thElefant
    Free Member

its good because its big, the best moment is always the night riding coming out of the smaller woods (west I think) and seeing all the lights from the campsite in the middle of know where

This. Mayhem is more about the event than the riding. Which is why it’s so popular.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I reckon they should hold the event somewhere with permanent tracks so that they don’t get trashed.

they should hold it later in the year, perhaps August 20/21st.

They should have lots of other events as well as the big race for riders and non-riders.

They should limit the numbers to keep it a party atmosphere.

they should rename it the Big Bike Bash and that way they could have the hassle of organising everything and I wouldn’t need to bother!

soma_rich
    Free Member

No WCA BBB is loads better than MM.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

That’s because I organise it as a party and just let people bring bikes and stuff. Everyone likes a good party

5thElefant
    Free Member

they should hold it later in the year, perhaps August 20/21st.

They do. It’s called SITS.

they should rename it the Big Bike Bash and that way they could have the hassle of organising everything and I wouldn’t need to bother!

Ah, I see what you did there.

Give Pat a call and get him to move SITS back to September. It was better in September…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

any bigger and they’d have to find more marshalls . . .

according to a twitter they’re still looking for some for this weekend, thought it would be on here somewhere this morning?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

so when’s a better time given our unreliable climate?

There’s some odd meteorological reason/statistic (I forget now) that makes it more likey to be wet around the Summer Solstice. Remember that’s when Glastonbury festival is too, and how wet has it always been there? 🙂 If they moved it to May or July, there’d be less problems.

5thElefant
    Free Member

There’s some odd meteorological reason/statistic (I forget now) that makes it more likey to be wet around the Summer Solstice. Remember that’s when Glastonbury festival is too, and how wet has it always been there? If they moved it to May or July, there’d be less problems.

I have a feeling it’s not a coincidence that it’s around the summer solstice. 😉

It would be nice to get a 24 in September again though. It gives it a different character.

soma_rich
    Free Member

WCA You organise it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have a feeling it’s not a coincidence that it’s around the summer solstice

Yeah, I read about it somewhere. Can’t for the life of me remember any facts though…. Still trying to google it….. 😕

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I like to enjoy my rides, not endure them.

+1.

I’m only doing this cos Bullheart gave me a Chinese Burn and made me asked me and I’m happy to support him. With the rain forecast, I’d definitely not chose to do it. I can’t see the point in riding a bike unless I’m going to enjoy it.

I’m just hoping the off the bike stuff will make up for the fact it’s going to be horrible, wet and muddy. Plenty of beer and Valium should see me right I reckon.

It’ll be a laugh though, I’m sure.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I often wish Bristol Bikefest was 24 hour. Would make the Sunday less of an anti-climax which it often is relative to the chilled but buzzing Saturday.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well when I say ‘organise’ I really mean that I get everyone else to do everything while i walk around with a water pistol and a beer. 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mayhem – is it too big?’ is closed to new replies.