Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Mayhem in just over a month….. How's your training going?
  • beaker

This is my first Mayhem and the day I found out I was in I started getting the miles in. My last ride was two weeks ago now and I’ve got no interest in riding at the moment. I know I should be getting out but can’t face it. Anyone in the same boat?

letmetalktomark

beaker – Member

This is my first Mayhem and the day I found out I was in I started getting the miles in. My last ride was two weeks ago now and I’ve got no interest in riding at the moment. I know I should be getting out but can’t face it. Anyone in the same boat?

That could have been a post from me.

Feeling exactly the same.

It will be my first mayhem too – If I am honest I am crappy myself about it – I am a quietly competitive sole – It is this competitiveness that I am hoping will see me through 🙂

I have a ride this Saturday which will be my first for a few weeks – hope it stimulates more interest.

nickf
    Free Member

Guys, whatever you do, there’ll always be someone faster and someone slower than you at Mayhem. And the determination to keep riding when it’s tipping down at 3am and it’s muddy as hell counts for at least as much as pure speed/fitness.

Get out riding, do some training, but don’t overly worry about it.

letmetalktomark

nickf – Member

Guys, whatever you do, there’ll always be someone faster and someone slower than you at Mayhem. And the determination to keep riding when it’s tipping down at 3am and it’s muddy as hell counts for at least as much as pure speed/fitness.

Get out riding, do some training, but don’t overly worry about it.

Cheers for the above Nick.

I am sure when the event comes around all will be cool.

Less of this talk of muddy conditions though 😆

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve not been on a bike for 12 weeks, having had: ear infection, chest infection, gastric flu, full on flu, chest infection.

I’ve just resigned from my Mayhem team.

Even though it’s quite possible to ride it without much fitness, there’s no point in being knackered after two laps….

beaker

Good- It’s not just me then. I’m sure there must be some reason for my apathy but I can’t work out what. It’s even getting to the point where I’m tempted to buy something new and shiney for the bike to make me gout out and ride therefore justifying the new part.

letmetalktomark

ourmaninthenorth – Member

Even though it’s quite possible to ride it without much fitness, there’s no point in being knackered after two laps….

Hoping for a couple of laps breathing space between laps – all will be fine (team of three) 😡

Not doing any specific training, just riding as much as I can.
    Finished 101st/150 solo male two years ago, so I’m aiming for top half this year.
    I’m more concerned about riding Erlestoke 12, followed by Bristol Bike Fest a week later, followed by MM only two weeks after that.
    Two 12 hour and one 24 hour solo in four weeks. 😕

Get yourself on Endomondo if you want some motivation to train.

DaveRambo

Just tell yourself to do a gentle ride – not far, not fast, only 20mins.
    Or arrange to ride with someone.

Worth while getting a few rides in now as you’ll want to do very little the last week or 2 – that leaves you about 3 weeks or so.

If you can’t then don’t worry, MM hurts no matter how much training you’ve done and as nickf says it’s the mental aspect that counts for just as much.

bomba
    Free Member

Been doing loads of road riding. Mostly at an average of over 25mph…

😆

TimP
    Free Member

Struggling to find time to ride. Not been able to do more than 5-7miles at a time. Conveniently though I changed the front pads on my HT and there isn’t enough clearance for the disc anymore. Didnt have time to take out pads and file them down and they are as far back as they will go so I am looking at it as being better training for me and hoping that it will wear off enough to give some clearance soon. I was never any good at hills but this really is ridiculous at the moment!

Diane
    Free Member

😯 training? What’s that then?

crazy-legs

Mayhem in just over a month….. How’s your training going?

My what?

Spud

Pulled out of our team too, illness, injury and really stuffing my back at Enduro 6 has meant no go for me.

LS
    Free Member

We’ve been 4th in Open Men for the past two years so the lure of the podium is driving me on at the moment. No motivation problems here 😀

Gary_C

Training?? that’s only for shavedleglycracladjeyboypeaklesshelmetedwannaberoadies…

😉

votchy
    Free Member

Mayhem in just over a month….. How’s your training going?

Mine is brilliant, can now drink 3 cans of stella, do a 10 mile loop, drink 3 cans more, do another 10 mile loop and continue until I’ve done 5 loops – perfect training for MM 😀

nickf
    Free Member

I can get my tent up in under ten minutes now, and know to pack mud tyres. Both vitally important for Mayhem.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

i’m bricking it! first solo attempt at this kind of thing after always doing it in teams of four. not sure what i’ve let myself in for

bullheart
    Free Member

Amazing.

I’ve ridden shit-loads.

(sigh….)

veedubba

+1 for Votchy’s “training”*

*I will be one of the people slower than you. But I may very well have the biggest dome tent, so there.

squiff
    Free Member

Spud

Am looking to join a team for MM. I will pay my share of the teams fees. Email me with details if you like.

votchy
    Free Member

*I will be one of the people slower than you. But I may very well have the biggest dome tent, so there.

don’t think you know me as not many people have done a lap of MM in over 2 hours 😀

cakerider

Am in the same boat as jontydewolfe “i’m bricking it! first solo attempt at this kind of thing after always doing it in teams of four”

Eeek!

Phil_H

Just got tonsillitis, fantastic so antibiotics & no beer for a week 😡

nickf
    Free Member

don’t think you know me as not many people have done a lap of MM in over 2 hours

I did one lap in the middle of the night in (I think) 2007 which took me almost three hours. It was hideously muddy, and I ended up carrying the bike for almost the entire lap. Wrong bike, wrong tyres, but truly terrible mud. Some of the team riders were managing to keep going (1.5″ spiky mud tyres, I believe) but virtually everyone else was trudging a slow shuffle of resignation.

The only bad thing about Mayhem is the actual course. As soon as more than three drops of rain fall consecutively it just dissolves , quite literally in the case of a stepped descent a few years back – it was there when I did my practice laps, gone when I went to my first lap at about 7pm.

pinches
    Free Member

have been out on the roadie building up the miles, mtb ride most sundays. Had my forks setup by a proper fox race tech and the bike is much more ridable, so just need my legs to keep up!

uplink
    Free Member

don’t think you know me as not many people have done a lap of MM in over 2 hours

can’t remember what my first lap was last year, but it was pretty slow
    got stuck at the entrance to the first bit of singletrack – along with half the field

The leaders lapped me when I was around 3/4 way through that 1st lap 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

did one lap in the middle of the night in (I think) 2007 which took me almost three hours. It was hideously muddy, and I ended up carrying the bike for almost the entire lap

Ditto that. I felt sorry for the poor girl hanging round the handover area waiting for me to eventually turn up, but somehow I managed to feel even sorrier for myself.

nickf
    Free Member

Ditto that. I felt sorry for the poor girl hanging round the handover area waiting for me to eventually turn up, but somehow I managed to feel even sorrier for myself.

Oh, we just gave up on that waiting around bit. Finish your lap, go and wake up the next person, make sure they got out of their sleeping bag. Despite the extra 15 minutes it put into each lap, it was worth it. At least we kept going the whole time.

toppers3933
    Free Member

training? i ride to work and back most days. is that training. to be fair i only had confirmation i was actually doing it a couple of days ago. sorry if this is bad news to team bullheart.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I’ve got £2.51 in my bike tin 😕 . You did mean preparation for MM shoppyland didn’t you?

Can we have some proper mama-sized demo bikes this year please? It’s very embarrassing when you’re all set for a quick half a lap and can’t get your leg over 😳

grtdkad

I’m down on my usual mileage due to illness and then the bike being off the road for a while. Hopefully some proper mileage starting now (on the back of the Trans Cambrian last week).

pedlad

Been doing a decent amount. However went for a real ” race pace” blast last night and feel knackered today. Worrying!

crispybacon
    Free Member

I’ve been doing a sheadload of running in prep for a half marathon – maybe I should just run around with a wheel in one hand & a saddle in the other during MM 😀

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Last time I rode MM was the ‘slightly wet’ 2007 race……

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Mayhem in just over a month….. How's your training going?’ is closed to new replies.