Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Maxxis Ikon 27.5 going tubless OR I didn't want to ride my bike today anyway
  • jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

*grump*

Trying to do this today – I have an Ardent up front which went fine but the Ikon on the rear is just impossible – it won’t even get close to seating on the rim, even when blasting it with one of these . Has anyone else had similar trouble? I don’t want to be alone 🙁

daveh
    Free Member

Tube in, seat it, remove tube by popping only one bead off, try again?

Too tight? Leave overnight with tube in to stretch tyre. Use washing up liquid.

Too loose? Add tape.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Too loose doesn’t even begin to describe it – when you say add tape how do you mean?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yes,
    Same issue with 29er tyres.
    Another wrap of tape with a tube in and leave for a few days.
    Pop one side of tyre off,latex in with a valve and jobs a good un.
    If very slack try another wrap of tape and same procedure.
    Thanks,
    Max

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll give that a go then come back and grump a bit more if I am further vexed

daveh
    Free Member

Wraps of rim tape. My 29 Ikon was a bit loose so I just added a full wrap of electrical tape (your first wrap is doing the sealing so any old tape will do to add thickness – best if it’s got relatively clean glue should you need to remove it in future though). I might actually have benefited from 2 extra wraps as it still didn’t ‘pop’ onto the bead – not had any trouble with it mind.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

never have issues with ikon setting up tubeless even to a non tubeless ready wheels.. i always use ghetto setup though which imho the best way to do

daveh
    Free Member

Ghetto certainly a good plan for sloppy tyres.

rickon
    Free Member

If a tyre is that loose that it won’t pop on the bead, then I wouldn’t want to be riding it. As its likely to burp and fly off the rim.

I’m assuming this is an Exception series Ikon? Not an EXO tubless ready one?

Does it flap around like a wizards sleeve when your pumping it?

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

It’s tubeless ready but not exo. And yea, it does flap around like that – I was gonna replace it anyway since it’s a bit slippy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Ikon 27.5 going tubless OR I didn't want to ride my bike today anyway’ is closed to new replies.