Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Maxxis Highroller 3C or 62a/60a Front Tyre
  • homebrewjunkie
    Free Member

Looking for a new front tyre and settled on the Maxxis Highroller 2, probably an Ardent out back.

Anyone any experience of the 3C and 62a/60a compounds?

I know the 3C (3 compound) is a race tyre, super tacky but quicker wearing and 50 bucks.

Anyone use the 62a/60a as a front tyre instead?

stevied
    Free Member

Been running 3C for ages (DHF) and it’s worn really well, not much worse than the 60a it replaced.
    edit: Does add extra grip on rocks etc over the 60a too so that might be worth considering. EXO (and tubeless) also adds to the whole package as I can run lower pressure without the risk of pinches.

deviant
    Free Member

Maxxis’s 60a compound is actually really good and fine as a front.

I’d only switch to a tacky front if I was racing DH but that’s just my opinion.

jolmes
    Free Member

Check out Alltricks.com for Maxxis tyres, french company I believe but appear to be the best place to get them from atm.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

3c is 3 compounds

I’ve got a 3c minion up front, like it only just fitted so not sure on longevity. Prefer it to the HRII but I’ve never been a fan of square edged tyres anyway.

rhayter

I’m running a 3C HRII up front and an Ardent on the rear. Quite a revelation. SO much grip and don’t seem to be any less hard wearing than other tyres, particularly. I’m not riding somewhere where there’s loads of rock, which may wear them down more quickly…

chakaping
    Free Member

As mike said, 3C = triple compound.

I think they might only do super tacky for DH tyres now?

Anyway, it’s a great front tyre IMO. Bit of cracking around the bases of the knobs but none have fallen off and it’s holding up well.

Much prefer it to the old HR.

Northwind

I’m using a 3C HR2 on the hardtail, it’s been really good- it’s wearing a bit erratically/breaking up a little but it’s not failing or anything and it still works despite looking a little haggard. Not one of those tyres that goes rubbish as soon as it’s visibly worn. Pretty fast, pretty grippy, good allrounder really.

I’m not a fan of 60a on the front, I kind of reckon if you’re doing the sort of riding to make a highroller a good call, then stickier rubber is also called for. But ymmv.

tmb467
    Free Member

3C HR2 on the rear here – it’s wearing quite well but I’m getting cracks on my big knobs

Nothing split tho and it’s actually good enough that I’ve not replaced it with a Minion DHR2 yet

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’m using a Minion DHF 29 2.5 3C and I can attest to the compound being grippy as ****. Laggan Black on Monday, kept hearing the knobs release from the rock sometimes with a ‘pop’ as I made my way down. Not a single slither from either end! (16f, 20r)

homebrewjunkie
    Free Member

Good input guys and gals. Confirms what I thought, go with the 3C compund. I’ll also check out Alltricks.com hopefully get a bargain.

Cheers

stevied
    Free Member

If you can’t find a HR2, have a look at the DHR2..rate it better than the HR. Seems slightly more aggressive and has the proven DHF side knobs.

mactheknife

The HR2 in 3C MaxxTerra is a belter of a tyre. I was always a lover of Schwalbe until i tried maxxis again and so far i am very impressed.

I have a DHR2 for front and rear duties in 3C (front) and 60A/70A (rear) for when its not nice and dry. 80% of the time. The dry season requires that i run an Ardent 60a/70a (rear) with HR2 front in 3C maxxterra.

Plus they go up tubeless better than anything else i have tried on flow ex rims.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

3C EXO TR Minion DHF on the front and high roller EXO TR on the rear. Seem a good combo and I’ve run similar for a few years now. Would go for something faster/less grippy if I lived somewhere dry.

Northwind

tmb467 – Member

big knobs

Nothing split tho

Can’t be that big then.

Ahahahahaha. Ha. Hmm.

rickon
    Free Member

3c is a great front tyre compound.

If you are aggressive on the front end, lean and push the tyre into turns on hardpack, it’ll wear fast as those side knobs are soft.

Mine have gone rounded and don’t dig into wet soil well anymore.

But has lasted about 4/5 months, so pretty good really.

3c on the rear will last a very short amount of time indeed. I ran one for about a month and its as worn as the front is.

3c in MaxxTerra is not race only, 3c MaxxGrip is close to that mark, unless you’re rich and like replacing tyres 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Highroller 3C or 62a/60a Front Tyre’ is closed to new replies.