Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Maxxis Beaver 2.2, are they like Swampthings? and are they any good?
  • Vortexracing

Used to run swampthings, 2.35 60 variety as my winter tyres, sadly they no longer make them 🙁

I have tried various ‘mud’ tyres and have eventually settled on Spesh purgatory as the winter all rounder, but I think they are not very good on wet rocks, Lakeland descents noticeably being a bit slippy.

So, I thought about the Beavers especially as they are now in a bigger 2.2 size.

any opinions from anybody using them?

Ta very muchly

Dave

z1ppy

I like the 2.25 version a lot but I’d not suggest it was a swamp thing alternative (not that I ever used one), think of it as a Bonty mud-x with volume. As in a “good all round wet weather tyre”, it’s not a specific mud tyre. Aren’t magic mary’s more swampthing territory?

Vortexracing

that’s sounds good news z1ppy, as the mud x I find good except they are a bit too narrow.

and although swampthings are probably labelled a DH tyre, they were very good all round trail tyres IMHO.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have a look at maxxis shorty, stuck one on the front last week and I’m very impressed so far.

Northwind

If you’re on 26 inch then the black chili Baron is exactly like a singleply Swampthing, except better at absolutely every damn thing. (except possibly sidewall strength). Not used the Beaver

Agree with Nobeer though, the Shorty’s kind of blown me away.

IA

Zippy speaks sense, and I’ve ridden swamp things.

A beaver is a bit more XC than a ST, ace tyres (got a pair of the 2.25s on right now).

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’m also running the Beaver up front on my 29erSS. I’ve never tried the Swampthing but used to run Medusas in 26 format. The Beavers are much better all round the tire is much more supple and it’s pretty good over slick rock and roots. As has been said it isn’t an out and out mud tire but then most of the trails I ride are not exclusively deep mud. I really rate them.

kelvin

Imagine a “half ply” Swampthing… or a Swampthing for whippets.

cakefacesmallblock

I’ve been using a 26″ 2.25 Beaver since the end of last summer. Not exactly a mud specific tyre, although our local stuff is very muddy at the moment in parts and it works well. Certainly as grippy in most conditions as anything else I’ve tried.
    Does come up big in terms of profile, very close fit in my Trance’s rear triangle, clears the spar on the front of it by maybe just 5mm. High Roller on the front, makes for a decent , quite predictable combo. I’ll stick with this set up quite happily.

davosaurusrex

29er shorty on the front and 2.25 exo Beaver on the back, combination packed full of win so far

kudos100
    Free Member

Got a 2.35 swampthing that is in great condition. Yours for a tenner if you like.

Send me a pm if you’re interested.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I’m been using a beaver on the rear in the peaks since Nov, whilst I think it’s a geat tyre the trends have shredded at an alarming rate.

Gee76
    Free Member

not again! 😉

I can do ya 3 swampies for £10 🙂

neilwheel
    Free Member

I love Beavers, I do. More mud than rocks here though.

Vortexracing

What do you mean not again? 😀

How was the ride yesterday?

I have had to take the bloody floor up as well, it leaked all through the laminate and floor boards 😥

Got a 2.35 swampthing that is in great condition. Yours for a tenner if you like

is it Kevlar and single ply 60A?

Gee76
    Free Member

I remember last time and the big wheel revolution;) they were the skinny ones I suppose.

Put my purg on yesterday. It coped ok on what was quite an average ride really. Poor route, terrible weather, dire company and my bike snapped into three pieces. I’m pretty sure you had more fun. Mars bar cake was good tho;)

Hope you got sorted btw. Welcome to rumage my old swampies for a useable 60a.

kudos100
    Free Member

is it Kevlar and single ply 60A?

Definitely single ply 60A. I’ll have to check to see if it’s folding as it’s in the shed.

Sent me a Pm if your interested and I’ll dig it out and take a pic.

Vortexracing

I’ll take you up on that offer before e mailing kudos100.

Poor route, terrible weather, dire company and my bike snapped into three pieces. I’m pretty sure you had more fun

I would have swapped all that for a driving around the northwest trying to find a seal for the bog 🙁

Gee76
    Free Member

I suspect a new cistern might have been cheaper!

Oh I may have altered a few details re the ride to spare your feelings. Obviously we didn’t take pics for the same reason not because we were having too much fun or that the sun was to bright!.

I’ll drop ya a piccy.

Vortexracing

kudos100 YGM

ta

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Beaver 2.2, are they like Swampthings? and are they any good?’ is closed to new replies.