Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Maverick revival!
  • AlexSimon

Here’s a pic of my Maverick ML7/5 on New Bike Day May 2006
    Lovingly provided by Sideways Cycles

That’s my eldest son Niall with it – age 4 in front of Mam Tor.

I rode it and loved it for 9 years, but last year I finally got a new bike and since then it’s been sitting in the shed unridden and to be honest unloved.

For Niall’s birthday (now 14 and nearly outgrowing me) I asked him whether he would like the Maverick, or a new hardtail and after a short test ride he chose the Maverick.
    I was slightly reluctant as I know (from experience) that spares are pretty hard to come by and it needed quite a bit of work – I’d run it into the ground during the last few winter months of its life.

But he was keen so I persevered and I’m glad I did.

New 1×11 drivetrain, wider bars, polished cranks, polished polished bits, rattle-can-painted black bits and new Reverb (last one warranty returned) and hand-painted acrylic touch-up of all decals.

I’m really glad he asked me as it’s turned out great and it’s really good to see it back on the trails.

Big thanks to Tim at Sideways Cycles for all the servicing and support over the 10 years, Gary for the gift of a set of DUC32 forks so I could nick a dropout off it and Rhid from this forum for donating the new handlebars.

ads678

😀

rhid

That looks brilliant!
    Glad I could help out.

AlexSimon

Thanks again Rhid!

Lifer
    Free Member

That’s brilliant!

AlexSimon

Thank goodness for anodising I say!

salsaboy

What bars did you put on it, I want to update my Maverick?
    Bars are a lot wider and fatter these days.

martinhutch

Now he can be your wingman anytime…

AlexSimon

They were Sunline V1 711. They’ve got a highish rise which I was a bit worried about, but I think it works pretty well!
    Thread here with a few more options (KCNC seemed the best bet new)
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/254-handlebars-wider-than-680mm

There is also a 31.8 Maverick stem available, but I could find one in time.

Dickyboy

I thought long shoelaces and unguarded chains were risky enough, dread to think what could happen if younguns hair gets any longer.

All in favour btw

AlexSimon

martinhutch – Member

Now he can be your wingman anytime… Very good! Might cue that up to watch with him!

I thought long shoelaces and unguarded chains were risky enough, dread to think what could happen if younguns hair gets any longer.

Good point about the laces – I’ll have to tell him. I don’t stand a chance with the hair!

They got the seat angle and the HT angle mixed up 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

What were they really like to ride ?

The suspension set up looks ‘different’

AlexSimon

What were they really like to ride ?

Well from previous threads it’s really controversial! Mainly people like to guess what it’s like despite rider experiences 🙂

But I loved mine – if they still made them, and they were now longer/lower/slacker and I could afford it, I would have one again.

There’s something magic in the suspension, yes it’s linked to the pedals, but it never feels a negative in practice. No other bike drives into a berm or jump in the same way and of course there is never a hint of pedal bob. I’ve never ridden one of the GT iDrive bikes, but I’d like to.

It’s no coincidence that I used it for 9 years – it was ahead of its time imo.

ChrisL

I love the then-and-now pictures. 🙂

vondally
    Free Member

Fabulous, great pics and a great revival.

Maverick was a great bike, just worked, I had ml7 ml7.5 ml8 all climbed brilliant, descended really well. 29 er need really

vondally
    Free Member

Ohhh and the name idea was brilliant

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Son in 2006 aged 4…. now he’s 14..!!! 😯

I KNOW it’s just some simple maths, but jeez… amazing how quickly these children-things change so. I can remember 2006 like it was, erm, yesterday. I was in my prime! 8)

Some people now have grown up children in that time. I’ve amassed 11 bikes.

Sweet bike though (I always had a hankering for the Klein version), and great modern-day use for it.

AlexSimon

vondally – Member

Ohhh and the name idea was brilliant Ooh yes – this one is called “Hawthorn” 🙂

I KNOW it’s just some simple maths, but jeez… amazing how quickly these children things change so. I can remember 2006 like it was, erm, yesterday. I was in my prime!

Yup – imagine being the parent! It only seems like a couple of years ago he was struggling to stand up and now he’s teaching me maths 🙂

timmys

I’d imagine it’s quite hard pushing a reverb down at that angle!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

One of the best climbing bikes ever.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Agreed, I had a ml7.5 & it was a great bikes. I just struggled to get the saddle angle sorted on mine but it was a great climber & descender

AlexSimon

timmys – Member

I’d imagine it’s quite hard pushing a reverb down at that angle! Slightly harder, but not hard – still just works with body weight. You don’t have to purposefully direct it forwards or anything.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Great pics! I’ve still got my ML8 in the shed (no forks though).

They are/were great bikes and way ahead of their time. 165mm bikes that didn’t weigh much and climbed well – an enduro-ists dream! The geometry is obviously of its time, but I loved riding mine and did many happy alpine jaunts on it.

matt_outandabout

I Like the contents of this thread.

Bimbler
    Free Member

AlexSimon

Cheers all! – Just need to wait for the rain to stop now!

beaker

Former ML7 (and Klein Palomino) owner here…. Love this thread! The ML7 was and still is an awesome bike. Spent many happy hours riding and racing mine. Enjoy riding it Niall!

mboy
    Free Member

Hmmm, dunno what happened to my lengthy reply earlier… Anyway…

Suffice to say, I approve of this thread! So much so, I may just finally build my Durance back up soon. Don’t know when or where I’ll ride it but still… Awesome bike that was much maligned, and it’s not worth selling it so I may as well enjoy it somehow again…

Keep up the good work fellow Maverickista’s… If anyone needs any spare parts, I think Craig still has a load. I’ll message him and see what he’s still got.

BillMC

I’m still riding an Ml7, great bike and I’m curious to find a contemporary bike that has the same Weagle suspension. It’s amazing. Again, all thanks to Tim.

benpinnick

I know you called me to talk about a new hardtail but I am pleased to see the Maverick make a comeback! I am sure he’ll enjoy it, and its always good to see old classics get a new lease of life!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Still riding my Mav Durance and loving it.

nedrapier

Always wanted a go on one of these! Looks ace. And looks like you’ve got some good days out on the cards! 8)

AlexSimon

benpinnick – Member
    I know you called me to talk about a new hardtail but I am pleased to see the Maverick make a comeback! I am sure he’ll enjoy it, and its always good to see old classics get a new lease of life!

Hi Ben. Yes I put the choice to Niall, New Zero TR or Refurb Maverick. I guess that’s the lure of full sus 🙂
    When he’s reached full size (around 6’2″ if his uncle and granddad are anything to go by) I reckon we’ll look again at whatever Bird loveliness is available 🙂

Good to see a few others popping up in this thread too!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Maverick revival!’ is closed to new replies.