Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Consumer rights advice
  • rsmythe
    Free Member

Hi there,

My partner paid for a mobile phone online from “Company X” (big name electrical company) to arrive in store. We collected the item from the store and took it home. When we opened the delivery box at home, the phone box was present but had no phone inside. The delivery box was not sealed with tape. It seems that the phone has been stolen in transit.

Immediately returned to store and was told that a replacement phone would be sent out and it would be received in a few days. It never arrived. After chasing this up further, it turns out that the company responsible for sending out the phone and who we actually bought from is called “Company Y.” They are very hard to contact as there are 20 mins of call queues. We have basically been fobbed of for around a month now.

Firstly, (after we harassed them) they checked the CCTV footage in store. Since the box looked closed when we collected in store they have said we can’t have a refund/ replacement. We have challenged this decision and apparently an ‘investigation’ is underway. The result of this was promised a few days ago but they have not contacted us. Upon calling them today they were incredibly unhelpful and we got nowhere despite a long time on the phone.

It seems like they are hoping if they ignore us we’ll go away and it’s wearing quite thin now. Does anyone on here have tales of any similar experiences or can anyone please offer some legal advice? Citizens advice pack we were emailed was not very helpful.

Many thanks,

Rob

martinhutch

How did you pay?

rsmythe
    Free Member

Debit card unfortunately 🙁

martinhutch

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback

Speak to your bank. Debit Card Chargeback might be worth a go.

Oh, and Name and Shame….

spekkie
    Free Member

Is there a good reason for not naming the company?

rsmythe
    Free Member

Thank you for the suggestion. That definitely seems worth a try. I didn’t name the company because if this does go further I don’t want them digging up an internet thread linked to my email address and somehow using that against us (as unlikely as that seems). Cryptically the company is: Korma’s/Balti’s-Personal Computer planet 🙂

martinhutch

I’d never have guessed….

Mrs Toast to the forum!

rsmythe
    Free Member

Partner just called the bank and they have been very helpful/ positive. Remains to be seen if they get anywhere but it seems like a good start.

ski
    Free Member

Have they reported the theft to the police?

spekkie
    Free Member

Ahhh. Wink wink

rsmythe
    Free Member

ski, no idea. Good point though. I think I will if they have not.

Cougar

Company Y is irrelevant. Your contract is with company X, it’s their responsibility (both as poster of the consignment and as initial provider of the goods under CRA) to ensure safe delivery. If company Y need to be chased, company X should be doing it; it’s entirely not your problem and not your responsibility to be following it up. You have no relationship whatsoever with company Y.

I’m totally not surprised that the unnamed company X that we obviously cannot identify are going “not our problem, sunbeam”; it’s absolutely their problem, don’t let them pass the buck.

Drac

All this not naming companies is a very PC world.

rsmythe
    Free Member

Cougar, it turns out that is pretty much what the bank said. Being told to contact Y seems strange. Drac, very good 🙂

matt_outandabout

I hope being discreet Curry’s some favour…

curto80
    Free Member

Is it Rumbelows?

Cougar

Cougar, it turns out that is pretty much what the bank said.

Hardly a shock when we’re both right. (-:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Consumer rights advice’ is closed to new replies.