Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mates race app
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Yes I know I could just use pen and paper but I’m lazy and want technology to work for me.

Does anyone know of an app that will help me keep track of a simple one on one race between about 10 people?

I’ve very vaguely organised a slalom but with people turning up at different times its difficult to run it as a knockout so I was thinking something more like a league table might be better.

darrell
    Free Member

whats wrong with pen and paper or Excel

wwaswas

http://www.matesrace.co.uk/

This uses Strava so

a) not wildy accurate over short courses
    b) everyone has to use their gps/phone
    c) it’s strava.

but allows you to organise a race and everyone arrive/ride at different times.

Otherwise it’s two stop watches and write down start/finish times for each element of the course – can’t need a spreadsheet for 10 peoplesurely?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Strava, make a segment for the course start 100m away from the line then all upload when done, did one with it last summer, took a while to get signal at the end but we were in a pub so it was all fine, it was also a mates race so the results were not the prime concern

thepodge
    Free Member

Strava is no good, the course is maybe only 50m

mikewsmith
    Free Member

50m? Stopwatch pen and paper then

thepodge
    Free Member

Its a dual slalom, we dont need to time people.

Was just after something that I could click to say Dave won, John lost and tally it all up for me at the end.

DickBarton

Pen will do the clicking (unless it doesn’t retract the nib)d paper will do the telling…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you could write a spreadsheet and pop a 1 or 0 next to the names and set up a formula to add them up, which would probably take as long as writing it all down.

but with people turning up at different times its difficult to run it as a knockout so I was thinking something more like a league table might be better.

Just tell them all to turn up on time 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

A couple of mates of mine wrote Tap Timing.
    Should do the trick (don’t know what it costs).

thepodge
    Free Member

That Tap Timing looks good but only available on iOS

Why write a spreadsheet when someone must have done it already and made it into an app?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

because by the time you pop all your names into an app and set up the bespoke 10 man league system it will be quicker to use a spreadsheet or get a bag of sweets and give a red one to the winner, most red ones wins – or even red zip tie on the bars of the winner

thepodge
    Free Member

Found an app called SportsTables, does exactly what I need and more.

Main thing is its dead easy to update.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Shirley an old The Sun Euro 2016 pullout feature would work well enough just assign people countries when the turn up!

@mattoutandabout has an app for android that works well. starter has one and finisher has another, as long as no one overtakes anyone I think it works fine. at the end of the timed sections you get the two phones together and bluetooth the results, it works out the times.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks for not reading any of the previous posts, especially the ones where I said:

Its a dual slalom, we don’t need to time people.

and

Found an app called SportsTables, does exactly what I need and more.

billybadger
    Free Member

We’ve run a few “Race Nights” for a bit of a laugh. Have a selection of different types of riding; technical downhill, twisty singletrack, tough climb etc and time each other riding them. Used a stopwatch and mobiles. One person at the start and one at the end shouting stop. Quite easy to do. Recorded times on a bit of paper then everyone gets points depending on where they finish for each section; e.g. 10pts for 1st, 7pts for 2nd, 5pts 3rd etc & work out who’s won in the pub after.
    Strava sort of spoilt it, but still good fun.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mates race app’ is closed to new replies.