Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 207 total)
  • Car dealer. Disorganised or flogged the car I put a deposit down on?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The suggestions to use another ‘phone, etc may have their place but why should I actually have to use such tactics – should be no need for this.

Because most human communication is done face to face, and then if not voice communication is best. If that fails then email/writing is down the bottom of the list.

You have kind of done it all the wrong way round which doesn’t help resolve anything or build a relationship between the two parties involved.

Get your mummy or daddy to ring for you if you find it difficult to speak on the phone?

Edit: If it is the Berwick place it does sound like he can be difficult to get hold of. But I would be phoning every day x multiple times.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Get your mummy or daddy to ring for you if you find it difficult to speak on the phone?

Ouch!

scandal42
    Free Member

Is this really still going on?

Pook

Yeah what’s the outcome?

bikebouy
    Free Member

steve-g
    Free Member

I need to know how this ends

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Email: goodwoodmx5@aol.com

I think that tells us the guy is not the most IT savvy.

nickjb
    Free Member

Because most human communication is done face to face,

source?

and then if not voice communication is best. If that fails then email/writing is down the bottom of the list.

In this scenario it’s far better to get something in writing if possible. Yes he could trick the dealer into answering the phone but the dealer could then easily back track.

andyrm
    Free Member

Because most human communication is done face to face, and then if not voice communication is best. If that fails then email/writing is down the bottom of the list.

You have kind of done it all the wrong way round which doesn’t help resolve anything or build a relationship between the two parties involved.

So true!

You’ll find out so much more from a conversation face to face, a bit less over the phone, and less still on email or other written comms.

We seem as a society to be losing the ability to interact in real time – whether it’s social media, less “real life” time or what I don’t know, but it’s definitely happening.

As has been said, borrow a phone, call geezer, be friendly “alright mate, it’s Benz. Wanted to see if I can come up this weekend and give you the rest of the cash and collect my motor”.

He’ll either stutter and stumble, in which case you know you’ve been had and can take steps, or will say “ok mate, it’s ready/not ready yet, come by next week”.

Job done.

Failing that, send me the bloke’s name, number, your name, what motor it is and what was being done on it and I will call him for you. As a freebie I will record it and post the MP3 up here to put everyone out of their misery.

Cheers.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If you speak to him, in person or by phone, you’ll just get lots more excuses, similar to all the previous excuses you’ve already had.

You need a “letter before action” sent by recorded delivery ASAP or you’ll never see that money again.

For the best chance of response, attach a filled-in photocopy of the N1 Court Summons you’ll be submitting:
    http://justclaim.co.uk/court-forms/N1-claim-form.html

You’ll need a date ordered list of events, so get typing.

People invent all sorts of nonsense arguments in response (i’ve been to court a couple of times), but tend to back down a lot once they are sat in front of a judge and asked to explain things, so don’t worry when he claims it’s all your fault.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

source?

Dr. Albert Mehrabian, author of Silent Messages, conducted several studies on nonverbal communication. He found that 7% of any message is conveyed through words, 38% through certain vocal elements, and 55% through nonverbal elements (facial expressions, gestures, posture, etc).

So 7% of the message gets through by e-mail

45% over a phonecall

And the other 55% is only available by talking face to face.

TheFlyingOx

It’s Goodwood Sports Cars apparently, Berwick.

Woah there, before the pitchforks get brought out for a sharpening. I suggested it might be them, not benz, due to location and a couple of clues re: the car price. I posted to say that I bought from him and had no problem whatsoever. He seemed a decent chap when I met him and would be surprised if he’s taken to scamming.

allthepies
    Free Member

Glacier update:

scandal42
    Free Member

Who the **** drove down the middle of that Glacier?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Clarkson.

Or Chris Evans.

lankystreakofpee

It wad probably the dealer taking ‘run for the hills’ to the extreme with benz’s motor!

Sorry OP, hope he’s just busy and get it sorted.

benz
    Free Member

Apologies for not updating earlier, but trying to keep a job at the moment is the priority”

I used a colleagues ‘phone and ultimately we talked. Which was good. And amicable.

So…..and I know not a lot about cars…..

Apparently said vehicle had a slipping clutch. During visit to garage to replace said clutch, during replacement of gearbox it would not line up with the mounts. They believe that the car was heavily crashed at some point and chassis rails or body ‘sprung’. The chap advises that he was avoiding me as he was ‘chicken’ about providing bad news and not knowing how to deal with it.

The model in question is rather rare, but he just happens to be picking up another next week. It will be inspected thereafter pictures will be sent and we’ll take it from there, with some specific requirements. At least I know that if the key original fixtures and fittings are absent then there should be a donor car to provide…

richmars

Well it’s good to talk, and I guess it’s a possible reason, but I don’t get why he was scared about telling you. It wasn’t his fault, apparently. I guess it’s up to you to decide whether you believe him or not.

vongassit
    Free Member

You can put me down for a Not 🙂

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

All seems very odd.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like the Garage sold the car for more money to someone else, made up story about the car being irreparable and is now maybe sourcing you another car..

dooosuk
    Free Member

So he’s just writing that car off is he?

Is he bollocks. They’d be able to get the gearbox back on the mounts somehow and even if true he’d just of given you a refund.

taxi25
    Free Member

Honestly OP just walk away. Ask for your money back and move on. If he won’t refund you slap in the small claims paper work, just finnish this nonsense up.

benz
    Free Member

Heart says one thing, logical brain says the opposite.

The car reg (might even be classed as cherished) is currently on a SORN.

We did discuss transferring this reg to this potential replacement vehicle.

Guess I could ask for some current pics of the car which is now a piece of s…..

Currently I do not have the time to drive the 4.5 hrs each way to take a look unfortunately.

senorj

Can you not ask for the money back and use it to buy a car from closer to home?

richmars

Currently I do not have the time to drive the 4.5 hrs each way to take a look unfortunately.

I think that’s the problem. If you want something a bit different, get it a bit more local. It will always involve a bit of effect on your part. If you don’t have the time, get something simpler/nearer.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I would be getting my money back swiftly.

But it is good to talk isn’t it ? 😉

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Just a side note .. if its 4.5hrs drive how would you address any issues with the car after you have bought it.. My thought is that if the garage seller knows this there is potentially a new thread in a few months time. Much like Brexit , I’m oot!

allthepies
    Free Member

Get your £££ back and start looking for something else (preferably within a more local area).

thecaptain
    Free Member

As I (and others) said, he sold it. The replacement may be just as good, in which case no harm done. Or it may be a figment of his imagination in which case he’ll string you along for months to come…

hexhamstu
    Free Member

This is a great moment to say, ‘Oh ok, fair enough I’ll take a full refund then.’

trail_rat
    Free Member

money back thanks.

Drac

You’re being lied to, I can’t believe you’ve fallen for such codswallop and then not asked for your money back.

4.5 hours each way for £1250 is nothing why or use the train.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im even willing to be the new car found will be one more in keeping with what you negotiated the deal down to.

nickc

You’re being spun a line. Get your money back

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If you come out of it with the car you want, then do it.

There could be a number of reasons why that car is not available now, including the one he gave you. Mechanic crashed it going to get lunch, stolen, broken for spares by the garage to do a rush job etc etc.

Just be more proactive about keeping in touch and getting updates. If it is Goodwood Sports Cars as has been suggested they have a good rep. I have an MX5 mad friend who deals with them a lot.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

It sounds like the car is a mx5 rs-limited. They are rare, and the desirable recaro seats and nice wheels are often missing. You can’t just find another locally.

legend
    Free Member

it’s a rare car but he just-so-happens to have another arriving next week 🙄

Cougar

All other things aside,

The fact that he avoided you for weeks and then when finally tricked into talking to you admitted that he was avoiding you would be enough for me to be asking for my money back, dream car or no.

franksinatra

Perhaps he is not picking up said phone to talk to said customer about said car because he finds overuse of the word said quite annoying.

Anyways, I am staggered that you have not yet asked for your money back.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘Car dealer. Disorganised or flogged the car I put a deposit down on?’ is closed to new replies.