Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Marzocchi 55R oil levels?
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

Now I know that Marz oil levels are a bit hit and miss from the factory but just opened mine up to change the travel and drained 80-90ml from the spring leg and just 10ml from the rebound leg (Marz online info says 190ml on both sides) – yes, I did pump the fork to make sure it was all drained. I've swapped the travel spacer around and reassembled them with just 50ml in each leg – they feel OK but I've ordered more oil to top them up to 190.

mamadirt
    Free Member

OK so I've just topped them up to 190 as advised on the Marz site but now can only get about 6-8cm travel before they stop dead. I'm guessing the oil levels are too high despite what the online manual says. Any ideas?

According to this info over on ridemonkey.com which I've just found, the rebound cartridge leg should only have 33cc and an oil height of 55mm with the forks compressed (I'm guessing measured from the top).

Forks are pretty simple internally – sealed rebound damper cartridge in the left leg and coil spring (with air preload) on the right side.

mamadirt
    Free Member

OK, according to this document from Windwave, the figures refer to oil height and not volume so I guess I should be measuring this instead. The info on the Marz site quite clearly states that the table shows the oil volumes in cc though, hence my confusion. Still doesn't tie in with the ridemonkey info though 🙄

I'll drain some out, start with an oil height measurement of 55mm and take it from there – easier to meassure oil height than volume anyway. Still be interested to hear what others have found.

scruff
    Free Member

they really are toss at oil levels. I'd go with windwave.

juiced
    Free Member

windwave a really helpful. At least they were with my 05 drop offs last month!

mamadirt
    Free Member

After an evening of trial and error they're now set up with 75mm oil height and feel OK carpet testing. I'll give Windwave a call on Monday though just to check. Cheers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi 55R oil levels?’ is closed to new replies.