Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • maryjane bars?? WTF!!!
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

please explain, i just dont get them. 😐 why take a cracking offroad bike and put big swoopy handle bars on it, off an old raliegh town bike like me grandad used to ride?

z1ppy

If you like them check out these, cause I believe it was Jeff's original idea… explaination included (about why the position is better for your wrists – ergonomically), you'll love the price too…

http://jonesbikes.com/h-bar.html

anyways have you tried em, you might like em.. you shouldn't be afraid of new idea.

no I haven't & am not going to off-hand but why the anger at a 'different' idea that some ppl like

IanMunro
    Free Member

, cause I believe it was Jeff's original idea…
    Well strictly speaking I think it was someone a bit earlier, otherwise it wouldn't look like his grandad's bike 🙂
    Interestingly, road motorbikes seem to have a fairly similar position whilst offroad ones have a position more akin to mtb bars. Dunno if this is for structural or ergonomic reasons.

lyons
    Free Member

that jeff jone's frames look terrible. i'm sure they are well built, but they just look completely wrong. And the bars too for that matter.

Frizzer
    Free Member

I bought some as I always seem to get some wrist pain with other bars I've tried. The extreme sweep on them means you don't have to turn your wrists to hold them and since using them my hands have been fine.
    Handling wise it took a short while to get used to them but that didn't take long. They do look a bit odd but I'm at an age now where I'll take a bit of comfort over aesthetics!

TooTall
    Free Member

It looks different so I don't like it.

What a fine stance to take. What do you haters ride then? Something the same as everyone else? Ride the trail centres with everyone else? 🙄

Shak47

I thought you were talking about a new "special" Energy Bar, got quite excited, bit of a late night last night.

lyons
    Free Member

i ride a trek fuel ex9, a scott scale, a planet x jackflash and a bmx. so yeah, preety much average bikes.

If these jones bikes are so good, why dont you see more people using them? Im sorry, but they just strike me as being different for the sake of being diferent.

Why does it matter wherei ride anyway? Yes, i have ridden round trail centres like most people oh here have. And i enjoyed them. Does that make me inferior now?

z1ppy

cause I believe it was Jeff's original idea…
    Well strictly speaking I think it was someone a bit earlier

Yeah I thought it a bit of a sweeping generalization 😳 , but thought what they hell 😈 , How about "cause I believe Jeff updated the idea and re-introduced it" 😀

odannyboy
    Free Member

well in connection with the motorbike/motorcross comment i think they look wrong because i thought the point was wide bars equal leverage.curled in bars dont??no??

uplink
    Free Member

If these jones bikes are so good, why dont you see more people using them?

Off the top of my head – price & very limited availability

Not my cup of tea mind, they always remind me of a shopping trolley

BluePalomino
    Free Member

It looks different so I don't like it.

or, is it "it looks different so it's a good thing"?

clubber
    Free Member

Ive tried Mary bars. Comfortable yes, good for technical riding no, for me at least so I'm out.

TooTall
    Free Member

i ride a trek fuel ex9, a scott scale, a planet x jackflash and a bmx.

I couldn't ride a single one of those bikes, so I ride something different. Does that make me wrong?

Some bikes aren't wrong – they are different and do things in a different way for someone who likes the way they ride – which might not be plush 120mm trvel front and rear. Not everyone wants several bikes for each occasion, not everyone wants to pump it. Henve how single speed, rigid, 26er, 29er, bmx etc exist. Sweep bars really suit some people and mixing up components can work out as things change – eg flat bars for DH.

scaredypants

I got some mary bars to see if they'd help get rid of my tennis elbow
    It's gone (prob coincidence) but they're still on the bike

Surprisingly "normal" feeling, though they do tuck your elbows in quite a bit (which is what Clubber didn't like I guess)

I have them on my winter new forest singlespeed mudsurfer – technical riding it aint ! Just to raise the niche a notch, I'm after some highly angled bar ends to fit on em 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think it's fair to say that some people mock bikes that look different even though they haven't tried them – which is daft.
    I think it's also fair to say that some people ride bikes that look different because that think it sends out the message that they are special because they don't follow the heard – which is daft.
    I also think that some people mock the latter – which is sensible 🙂

For the record I've currently got risers, flats, drops, and yes, marys on my bikes 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

Get on really well with Mary bars on my commuter but hated them when I had them on my mountain bike.

brakes
    Free Member

Mary bars are perfect

…if you're a bit frail and narrow-shouldered and really wish your were riding your sturmey-archered wicker-basket shopper down to the post office instead

westkipper
    Free Member

Mary bars don't, in my view, look any stupider or wrong than the riser bar-with -low- stem fashion that most riders run these days ( lights fuse then runs like ****!)

Onzadog
    Free Member

WK is onto something there. Why don't we have wide flat bars which would be lighter and then use the stem to put them in the right position?

singlespeedstu

To the OP.

Has someone tried to force you into using some "maryjane" bars? (Whatever they might be.)

If not why worry about what other folks do to their bikes. 🙄 😉

Swoons at bakes's manly shoulders.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I likes Mary bars they are proper comfy. I have them on my rigid ss and they suit it perfectly. I can see why folk don't get it just like some folk don't get ss. Hey would be a dull world if we all believed we needed full suss, knights armour, and short stems 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘maryjane bars?? WTF!!!’ is closed to new replies.