Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Marsdenman Memorial Ride, 27th September
  • mintimperial

Alright folks. As mentioned on the previous thread about marsdenman (Chris Turner), some of us thought it would be a good idea to potter around the local trails we used to ride with Chris?, and have a bit of fun messing about on bikes in his honour. So we’ve planned a bit of a memorial ride thingy (I know it’s been quite a while now, but after some discussion we decided that it was better to wait till after the summer holidays).

Naturally everyone is welcome, however you knew Chris. A vague idea of numbers would be useful though, so if you’re coming it’d be great if you could just post up a comment here.

Details: Saturday 27 September, meet from 10am for 10.30 start from outside the Riverhead pub in the middle of Marsden. We’ll do a 3-4 hour long inclusive, social pace pootle, with plenty of pauses, followed by soup and cake at Chris and Sharon’s place, as was traditional on Chris’s STW rides. No doubt we’ll have a pint or two later on as well…

Meeting point post code: HD7 6BR
    Parking: all over the village, but head towards the station if it’s busy, turn right onto the cobbles at the top of the hill and park in the huge car park past the National Trust Estate Office.

nbt

I’m in. My holidays have been planned around this

Chew
    Free Member

I’m in.

Ben_mw

I’ll be there.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I’ll be there

lowey

I’ll be there.

As a side note, are bikes allowed on the train to Marsden ? Thinking of coming over on train so can have a few in his memory and Bike / train back.

mintimperial

Bikes are allowed, yep, and there’s usually plenty of space for them… but the trains on Saturday afternoon are always full of Ale Trail pissheads. You *should* be ok, because September is when it starts to tail off a bit, and this year has been tamer than the last few, but just bear it in mind.

ton

fingers crossed recovery wise, i will be there.

nbt

Fingers crossed for you big man!

hp_source

I’m in. Thanks for planning this chaps

Junkyard
    Free Member

I will try to re arrange a few things so I can be there
    If i can I will be Lowey’s designated driver.

Sandwich

Bugger I’m working. I´ll see if I can get swap.

Bunnyhop

I’m gutted that I can’t ride with you all in memory of Chris.
    Doctor said no riding at all for another 6 months and definitely no mtbing.

mintimperial

Aw nuts, sorry to hear that Bunnyhop. You could join us for the soup/cake bit at the end maybe?

soobalias
    Free Member

i mentioned this to the new owner of the yellow peril (Marsdenmans Cove)
    dont think that we will be able to get up your way, but we will make sure the cove has a suitable outing on the 27th and will raise a glass.

mintimperial

Smashing, it’ll be good to know you’re out too soobalias, post some pics up on here when you get back. 🙂

lowey

Gutted. I cant make this now. taking my Daughter to Uni open day.

Hope it all goes well.

Naranjada
    Free Member

All being well I’ll be there, in fact I’ll probably drive over the hill with nbt

marsdenmoocher
    Free Member

Mrs Marsdenman here …

Ingredients for soups & chocolate flapjacks have been bought and Friday evening has been allocated for cooking (with wine, Keith Floyd style). Breads & other cakes are being made by some friends.

The weather report is looking dry so hopefully soup & cake will be outside looking at the lovely view from our new house – the neighbours have proferred garden chairs & tables so it all sounds very civilised.

Chris’d be really pleased Soupfest was happening 😀 – we missed hosting it last year x

jambalaya
    Free Member

I hope the weather’s decent, my thoughts will be with you all and with Chris too.

MoreCheeseGromit

A bit last minute, but I’ll be able to make it.

mintimperial

Well, the forecast is looking promising, there’s a decent crowd of us turning up, I have a fun route planned out with options for bail-outs and/or extras as needs be: should be grand.

I’ll be at the meeting spot outside the Riverhead from 10am-ish. For those of you who don’t know me look for a beardy, speccy bloke on a green Cotic Soul, answering to “Tom”. See you tomorrow! 🙂

beefy

Morning, I am riding from Holmfirth, but I night try and head over that way. I must admit to never meeting Chris, only chatting via this forum and trying to arrange rides (sadly which never worked out). Could you give me a rough idea of your route so I could try and meet you? I will be on a (borrowed ) orange gyro, which is orange!

nbt

What a cracking day out and a fitting tribute to a top chap. Cracking. Thanks to everyone for your company and kind words.

scaredypants

I’m glad you had a good day

I couldn’t have turned up and didn’t get a ride at all today but he’s had a beer raised in his name 🙂

mintimperial

Phew. Only just got chance to sit down at a computer finally this evening! I took a few snaps yesterday. Here’s nbt shredding a particularly gnarly bit of trail:

They’re just cameraphone shots and I don’t think I got everyone but here’s the rest.

Cheers all for coming out yesterday. It was a smashing day out in great company and I think Chris would have been very touched by the whole thing. I hope you all enjoyed the route I picked, and I know you all enjoyed the soup cos it vanished pretty quickly…

Same time next year then. 🙂

nbt

*pro elbows to the max*.

There’s a good example of the thousand yard stare in there as well, both are essential moves for any aspiring photomodel wannabe 😉

marsdenmoocher
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone who came yesterday – Chris would have been pleased that Soupfest worked out well at the new place. It was lovely to see you guys again and great to share the little ceremony with you.

Hopefully the link leads to a photo of the motley crew setting off from the Riverhead – but as I’ve never used flickr before it may just end up showing bugger all 🙄

See you next year for soup & flapjacks … and maybe prosecco !

SoupRun starters

Bunnyhop

I hope it is a yearly event.

I was there with you all in mind but not in body.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Marsdenman Memorial Ride, 27th September’ is closed to new replies.