Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Marks and Spencer insurance – lodgers?
  • technicallyinept
    Free Member

Looking for a lodger. Didn’t (initially) occur to me that it might affect my home insurance.

Away from home at the moment so can’t check my policy documents

Does anyone know if they (M&S) either
    a – say no
    b – ramp up you premium
    c – don’t care

Cougar
    peterfile
    Free Member

pretty sure you will have to inform them, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

have you read the terms online?

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I’ll be ringing them tomorrow – just thought I’d ask here as loads of people seem to use M&S.

I looked online but could only find one instance of the word ‘lodger’ in their online policy document and it didn’t help

andyl
    Free Member

See if you can include the lodgers stuff and ask the lodger if they are interested if they cover the cost?

Markie
    Free Member

We’re with M&S and have a lodger. They need to be told, but then (for us, FWIW) no change to costs. The only difference in the policy is that forced entry must now be evident before they will pay out on a burglary claim.

Our lodger has his own policy for his stuff, just keeps things cleaner IMO.

Hope this helps, but obviously your situation may be different. If you’re looking for a lodger, I can highly recommend http://www.spareroom.co.uk!

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Thanks Mark, that’s what I was hoping to hear. Will still give ’em a ring asap though.

Markie
    Free Member

Cool!

Another thing to note (that you have prob already noted!) is that (if you have one) your mortgage company must also be told you have a lodger.

Ours were just fine with it, again FWIW.

Basically, I just don’t want either the insurer or the bank to have any wiggle room when it comes to them keeping their side of our contracts!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good point chaps, I forgot to tell my insurers 😳

Gruff
    Free Member

hmmm… M&S charge me an extra £200 for my lodger, with the usual forced entry proviso

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Marks and Spencer insurance – lodgers?’ is closed to new replies.