Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Mark Zuckerberg
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve just watched a programme on Zuckerberg and Facebook.
    An interesting character and I can’t work out whether I like him or not.
    I like the way he’s built Facebook up but think that he has a look of total smugness that deserves a good face punching.
    Thoughts.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh missed that, Giros on Eurosplatt and now it’s ToC.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

right time right place, nothing else

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jolly good of the Beeb to give him that lovely advert program just a few days before the IPO, wasn’t it?

meehaja
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you be smug?

donsimon
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you be smug?

Not until I’d actually got my dirty mitts on the $100bn. 😈

Kuco

Best of luck to him. IMO I don’t think he’s smug just comes across as very passionate and confident in what he’s doing.

Turning down a billion dollars and then turning down fifteen billion 😯

DezB
    Free Member

I can’t believe how easy it is for them to make money from…er, twits. A case for my duck-pooh. I “like” Tescos. etc etc. bleedin weird.

jon1973
    Free Member

right time right place, nothing else

Not sure I agree with that. He obviously had the drive and vision and believed what he was doing enough not to sell out and walk away a rich man years ago. There were plenty of social networking sites around before facebook which didn’t realise the value of what they had.

miketually
    Free Member
    donsimon
    Free Member

He obviously had the drive and vision and believed what he was doing enough not to sell out and walk away a rich man years ago.

That was quite spectacular.
    “Here’s $1bn, Mark.” Yahoo!
    No thanks…
    “OK, here’s $15bn, Mark.” Microsoft.
    Err, no thanks…

Incredible vision or naive?

GregMay
    Free Member

One thing that got me more than anything.

His desk. In the middle of the room. With everyone else.

I’ve a friend working in the Cali offices, apparently he just works like everyone else, no pretentiousness, no office in the corner with a locked door.

That, I respect.

jon1973
    Free Member

I think it showed he wasn’t wholly motivated by money.

Kuco

I don’t think he’s 100% driven by money, okay he wants to make it but the way he lives and dresses. He’s more like a kid in toy shop.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think a lot of his comments demonstrated how important communication and groups are to him.

jon1973
    Free Member

I imagine beyond the few hundred million, money just becomes pretty much meaningless, unless you start giving it all away to good causes.

Kuco

Hasn’t he donated something like a hundred million dollars?

martymac

i agree with jon 1973, theres an upper limit to what you can enjoy spending really.
    i think people who are motivated by money, its not about having it in the bank, its about making it.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Remember Tom?

One day you won’t remember Mark either.

zimbo
    Free Member

Is everyone here on Facebook? I must be missing something, but I’m not that interested in knowing that someone I didn’t like thirty years ago at school has just put the kettle on.

jon1973
    Free Member

I must be missing something, but I’m not that interested in knowing that someone I didn’t like thirty years ago at school has just put the kettle on.

I think you must be missing something. I’m on Facebook and I don’t get updates from people I don’t like. Why would you add them as friends? Do you give your phone number to people you don’t like or have no interest in?

Facebook is what YOU make of it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ride-Swinley/168281246570737

GregMay
    Free Member

I actually deactivated my account a month ago, mostly as I live in Twitter, but also as I don’t feel the need to share that much information with people in the manner that FriendFace allows.

I use G+ for that as I can disseminate information to those I choose.

Durty.

dogbert
    Free Member

Remember Tom?

dogbert
    Free Member

Incidentally, someone I know put their sort code account details on Facebook t’other day, openly, so the whole world could read them

donsimon
    Free Member

Incidentally, someone I know put their sort code account details on Facebook t’other day, openly, so the whole world could read them

Like the details they used to print on cheques for the whole world to see?

jon1973
    Free Member

Remember Tom?

of course I do..

dogbert
    Free Member

Like the details they used to print on cheques for the whole world to see?

🙄

Just trying to make a point that people believe in the big cuddly Facebook so much that they’ll put anything up there under the belief that it’s completely safe because their fwiends can see it. But thank you for pointing out my stupidity, it will help me grow as a person and hopefully gives you a warm feeling inside. I’ve even made a few grammer mistakes you can pick me up on too

zimbo
    Free Member

Facebook is what YOU make of it.

As you might have guessed, I’m a cynical misanthrope so I’m not even on it!

jon1973
    Free Member

Just trying to make a point that people believe in the big cuddly Facebook

I think the fact that someone posts bank details like that just proves they’re stupid. Facebook is just a vessel for their stupidity. The same as people who drive off of cliffs following sat nav instructions.

scuzz
    Free Member

I think the face that someone posts details like that just proves proves that some people are society is stupid. Facebook is just a vessel for their stupidity. The same as people who drive off of cliffs following sat nav instructions. vote tory because the Sun told them to

Grumble grumble life.

donsimon
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong in putting those details into the public domain, so a pretty poor example, unless they were looking to receive money.
    It’s about as harmful as putting your name and DOB (date of birth)…

But thank you for pointing out my stupidity,

Aaw shucks! I didn’t do anything really.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t watch programmes like that, cos I feel as if they are putting people on pedestals. Smells of sycophancy to me. I think these people are just taking an opportunity and doing their job the same as millions of other people do every day, they just have exposure.

Why yes, I am also bitter, how did you guess?

scuzz
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong in putting those details into the public domain, so a pretty poor example, unless they were looking to receive money.
    It’s about as harmful as putting your name and DOB (date of birth)…

But what happens when it’s your name, DOB, activities, interests, thoughts, current and past location, who your mother is, what her maiden name was, what the first school you attended was… all in a searchable database?

donsimon
    Free Member

This is all information that can probably be found in various places, and as said earlier you control what info is input.
    The point here being that simply putting your sort code and account number isn’t a problem or to be considered stupid.
    No one can access the money in your account. Just like losing a cheque book, there is no problem… 🙄

CountZero

I actually deactivated my account a month ago, mostly as I live in Twitter, but also as I don’t feel the need to share that much information with people in the manner that FriendFace allows.

I use G+ for that as I can disseminate information to those I choose.

Durty.

So you’re the other person on G+, then. Hope you have a lot to say to each other.

Is everyone here on Facebook? I must be missing something, but I’m not that interested in knowing that someone I didn’t like thirty years ago at school has just put the kettle on.

As above, why would you bother to track them down, then, or agree to ‘friend’ them if they requested it?
    Yes, you’re missing something, and your ignorance of how Fb actually works shows why you’re missing it. Fb only shows what you want it to show, if you’re a brainless half-wit, and post up personal details that should be kept private, then you deserve whatever happens. Information can only be revealed if it’s there to be revealed. I use Fb a fair bit, mostly to keep up with what a whole bunch of actual friends are up to, post up photos for said friends to see, and keeping up with what a whole bunch of bands and musicians are up to, and chatting to them; kinda like MySpace should have been like, but without the shitty UI, and the requirement for Flash.
    It works fine for me, but then, I don’t invade my own privacy.

molgrips
    Free Member

But what happens when it’s your name, DOB, activities, interests, thoughts, current and past location, who your mother is, what her maiden name was, what the first school you attended was… all in a searchable database?

It’s hardly Facebook’s fault if you splash that stuff all over the web. Is it…?

scuzz
    Free Member

It’s hardly Facebook’s fault if you splash that stuff all over the web. Is it…?

Nope. But the whole Facebook system of Apps is geared toward opening up the audience of your private information to third parties, including information you provided under the condition that it is only visible to friends. The privacy policies simply do not have your privacy at heart, and keep changing. You have to keep telling it not to display certain information time and time again every time a new feature gets added.

Sure, if you don’t put the information up in the first place you have nothing to worry about, and it’s debatable as to whether you have anything to worry about anyway, but I just don’t trust a service that keeps moving the goal posts.

miketually
    Free Member

the whole Facebook system of Apps is geared toward opening up the audience of your private information to third parties, including information you provided under the condition that it is only visible to friends.

Unless you untick the box that says “allow third party apps access to what my friends can see”.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I am disappointed with the makers of FaceBook for not giving me a ‘Dislike’ button instead of ‘Like’ … that would be more entertaining.

The ‘like’ button seems very sycophantic – I’m sure there are people out there who are almost offended if their friends don’t ‘like’ their status.

My wife closed her FB account and piggy-packed onto mine. Now my FB is full of all the drivel from her friends. I can’t even read any of it as they’re mostly Brazilian & I haven’t learnt the lingo yet.

The stupidest thing is, 99% of her ‘friends’ seem to just endlessly post links to pictures they found somewhere on the internet that they thought were amusing.

Completely pointless. And very boring.

damo2576
    Free Member

I think the fact that someone posts bank details like that just proves they’re stupid. Facebook is just a vessel for their stupidity. The same as people who drive off of cliffs following sat nav instructions.

Bank account numbers and sort codes are pretty freely passed around and all you can do with them is pay money in to the account. So not too concerned.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Mark Zuckerberg’ is closed to new replies.