Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Making tea……… milk in mug first or last?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Come on then. The wife insists that milk should go in first before the tea, but I go milk last so you can get the strength right. I think I’m right but there must be a reason why the milk should go first.

What’re the general thoughts

theflatboy
    Free Member

even heston blumenthal agrees that it’s milk last – it’s the only way to retain control over the milkiness

Rickos
    Free Member

If you’re making tea the proper way – in a pot – milk should go in first. If making tea in a builders styleee – bag in the mug – then milk in after otherwise it doesn’t seem to brew properly.

retro83
    Free Member

Milk first is the way of the devil

nickc

Tea is the devils wee.

sobriety
    Free Member

The reason is that the original (old fashioned) teacup would shatter if the hot tea was poured in first, hence milk first. But since you’re using a mug it’s tea first, every time.

duntstick
    Free Member

Tea brews properly at very close to 100’C, so it has to be brewed in a heated pot with a lid on before milk is added which would cool it.

bumley
    Free Member

Last

mt
    Free Member

Tea must be made in pot
    Milk 1st
    Little finger stinkin out

Ave yer no manners! If I saw you milk last you’d get owned with a tea spoon. I like this thread am sick helmets (to or not), jade goody, creationists (or not). Teas can’t live without it.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I find that milk first gives the brew a slightly sweeter taste than milk in last and I don’t much care for it. So milk last everytime thanks.

kimbers

sobriety is right

people only started putting milk in after when china was used, kind of a status symbol thing to show off that you could afford better than a clay mug

it all tastes the same to me

twohats
    Free Member

duntstick – Member

Tea brews properly at very close to 100’C, so it has to be brewed in a heated pot with a lid on before milk is added which would cool it.

What he said.

thomthumb
    Free Member

last, any one who says first is a heathen

Bunnyhop

Expert tea buyers put milk in first.

Kuco

Milk strips oxygen out of the water so it should go in last to allow the tea to brew properly. Though I don’t put milk in tea or coffee.

theotherjonv

In the old days the footman would prepare the tea in the pot on a tray and then pour the tea from the pot into the china cups which he would hand round. Then he would pass round a tray with the milk jug and sugar lumps with little tongs, so you can add milk and sugar to your taste.

FACT

For builders tea, in a mug, it’s still tea first (or rather hot water onto a tea bag), mash with a spoon for requisite time and then add milk and sugar to taste. Usually lots of sugar.

For football ground tea, in a polystyrene mug the teabag remains in so the tea continues to brew and gets progressively unpalatable. It has to be unpalatable to make people prefer bovril. The FA need spectators to drink bovril because they bought up the remaining stock of bovril drink from BovCo in 1979 and are still getting through it (they also got a job lot of Wagon Wheels which is why the 92 football league grounds of England and Wales remain the only place you can still buy official sized wagon Wheels)

Also FACT

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

WHO CARES?!?!?!?

AAARRRGGGHHHHHHHH

geetee1972
    Free Member

Milk in first for coffee – that definitely makes a difference.

GrahamS

Milk last for tea, but first for (instant) coffee.

Anything else is just plain wrong.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Milk last for tea and none for (real) coffee. Who cares about instant?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I like this thread am sick helmets (to or not), jade goody, creationists (or not). Teas can’t live without it.

Eh?

I do like a nice cup of tea.

stubruce
    Free Member

Milk first every time – I had this very conversation this weekend – no conclusion was reached then either!

tinribz
    Free Member

I believe the expression you are looking for is pre or post-lactateriat.

All I know is coffee tastes funny pre so I stick to the trusted method for tea too. A milky teabag is just wrong.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

milk last
    golden rule

only wierdo’s put milk in first….no offence to all you guys that put milk in first

bikey
    Free Member

MILe or MIFe?
    That is the question?
    For me if the tea is from a pot it is always milk in first, but in the cup milk in last.
    So I am a MILe and a MIFe but prefer tea from a pot (like me gran used to make) so I am a MIFe.

Matt

tomzo
    Free Member

Milk always first in tea. If the tea is hot enough and you add the milk after, it does something (curdle??? cant remember the correct term) and makes an odd taste. As well as it not breaking the cup, i think there is also something to do with it staining the cup?? though not sure on that one.

Potdog
    Free Member

Deffo milk first if you are making the tea in a pot to brew. But as has been said already, if you’re just brewing up in a mug, then milk last otherwise the tea won’t brew so well as the milk reduces the temp of the water.

bruneep

Milk in first, it stops you having ginger kids :FACT:

mudshark
    Free Member

There’s a lovely article all about it here…

who cares…?!

mudshark
    Free Member

BTW, I drink without milk so what does that mean? My Chinese wife gets me to drink all sorts of curious teas.

sturmey
    Free Member

So many people talk about tea from a pot. STW cosie me thinks is in order.

stumpy01

Milk in last if tea bag dunking method

Milk in first if making a pot.

Inzane
    Free Member

Huh Milf??

Where??

So what brand of tea are we talking about… I mean there is tea and then there is tea…

zaskar
    Free Member

Milk 1st to stop curdling but only have a kettle so milk last!

I only drink green tea so no milk :O)

avdave2

Both are equally wrong. Milk should go nowhere near tea.
    I think as a matter of interest we should also know which way people are hanging the toilet roll. I have a feeling there could be a correlation between the two.

Inzane
    Free Member

milk in last, paper on the outside??

theotherjonv

From the article:

To gain optimum ambience for enjoyment of tea aim to achieve a seated drinking position in a favoured home spot where quietness and calm will elevate the moment.

I think that’s one thing we can all agree on.

I think I’m going to have a nice cup of tea and sit down right now.

miketually
    Free Member

Milk first when I was at uni, to annoy an OCD housemate.

emac65
    Free Member

Last on tea & first on coffee

avdave2

Inzane that is exactly as I suspected. I will also hazard a guess that you neither live in a trailer or sleep with your sister.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Making tea……… milk in mug first or last?’ is closed to new replies.