Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Making my own headset press
  • tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I’m making a press for headset installation.
    I think I need the following
    250-300mm threaded bar c. 15mm diameter
    2 x 15mm diameter thread bolts with Hex Flange or Hex washer head
    2 x 55mm spacers /washers- steel or alloy?
    Does this sound right, have I forgotten anything?

Thanks

Richard

grim168
    Free Member

You can borrow mine if you live near preston. In fact we should have a tool lend thread.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Heres my press and extractor to give you an idea. Just a few washers, nuts, threaded bar and steel plate. Its a shocker isnt it! A bit Heath Robinson I know, but saved me a few quid over the years and its been bob on.

And I am careful with it, especially the bar.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Your list is about right. That’s what I bought and used successfully.

I’d suggest using quite a big stack of washers to spread the load though. With just one at each end, you will likely just bend the washers. Get the thickest that you can find.

All parts are available from Wickes or similar, total cost should be about £5.
    In use, pull the cups into the frame one-at-a-time, don’t cut corners and try to pull both in simultaneously. One-at-a-time will give you a better chance of going in straight.

Hope that helps.

Tom83

+1 Ecky, i was struggling with my home made to get both cups in straight. One at a time works the best IME.

alpin
    Free Member

here is mine.. measure the diameter of the headset cup and find some washers that will fit snuggly into them. it helps keep things central when tightening it up.

do one cup at a time.

[/url] DSCN1792 by sod_the_taxman, on Flickr[/img]

AndrewJ
    Free Member

I’ve used some hard wood between the washers and the cups just to cut down the chance of maybe damaging the cups.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks for the offer I’d like to have a go at making one up so all the pics in following posts are very helpful.
    Cheers
    Richard

nealy
    Free Member

I used two blocks of wood and a mallet! It worked fine although I know it’s far from the recommended method.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I use one of these, it’s effective and very fast!!!

martinxyz
    Free Member

That mallet is unmarked though. So you must be using it to threaten folk in bike shops in to handing over the tools you need!

slugwash
    Free Member

More of the same…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Making my own headset press’ is closed to new replies.