Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Magura forks – aftersales and servicing: hassle or not?
  • rexated
    Free Member

I've been thinking of getting some durin race sl's but my LBS don't stock Magura forks, and are leery of doing so. Am I right in thinking the forks need to be sent back to Germany for servicing? – or is there a UK based centre (I'd usually use TFTuned, but they don't do them)?
    Anyone had any experiences they could share?
    Thanks in advance.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

They can be serviced in the UK but turnaround times are long – very bloody long. (Take that as a dont bother and buy something else)

poppa
    Free Member

Er, my experience was totally different to jimmyshand. I bought some secondhand and got them serviced via Magura UK in January this year. Turnaround was a few days – I dispatched them on a Friday, they arrived the following Thursday. The service was top notch. Not sure how much these things normally cost, but my service, including bushing replacement and return carriage, was £85.

nickc

That's a little harsh. It's one bloke doing the UK servicing, but turnaround is about 10 days. Longer at the start of the race season, but a quick phone call beforehand will make things easier for every-one. never had an issue with servicing mine, and they warrantied some issues I had with the lowers of my Thors. Was a bit mleh about them (forks and the company), but now I'm a fan.

rexated
    Free Member

Thank guys. Okay a bit of a split opinion then. 10 days' turnaround would be no problem as would have some back-up forks. I take it you need to deal direct with magura uk …been a little tricky to find on google, is it 01530 414142?
    ta.

nickc

Yep, probably an answer phone, but he'll get back to you.

poppa
    Free Member

I can send you the guys contact e-mail if you like.

joolsburger
    Free Member

A basic lube and clean is a 10 minute job, see here

http://www.magura.com/en/products/suspension-forks-2010/prod/durin-marathon/info/movies.html

You need an allen key, a rag and some oil couldn't be easier.

I've had mine for around a year now and haven't done a full service yet but when I called I was told a working week to turnaround.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair although next time I'll probably go for Thors based on my riding needs.

BigJohn

I've been very pleased with the service. Have used them twice, first time they found a crack and replaced the lowers free. Second time they offered to upgrade my 100mm Menjas to 130mm after I asked.

Posted Monday, back on Thursday.

poppa
    Free Member

For the record I like Magura – it's nice to buy something made in Europe for a change and their service has been great. Just make sure you get on with the forks as they can be quite different to Rockshox for example, depending on model.

joolsburger
    Free Member

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2009-MAGURA-DURIN-MARATHON-120MM-DLO-/130407110689?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5cde9821

I bought mine off this guy took around 10 days to arrive and for the money pretty much a bargain.

I've been pretty hard on these not because I'm some sort of riding god but because I'm 16 stone and tend to break stuff. Put a lot of miles on them in the last year, rode through the winter and they are still fine bushings still good, seals perfect and sanctions perfect.

They are pressure sensitive and the window of getting it right is around 5psi, ideal that you get a no loss pump into the bargain.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

turn around on my wotans was 3 days never had service as good .
    the ashby boys are awesome

rexated
    Free Member

Cheers – that's all more reassuring.
    Looks like I'll be placing an order then. Never used Magura before, but it will be for a racebike, so lightweight, and a fairly pert feel to travel will be ideal, + stiffness as I tend to ride like bull in chinashop when in racemode. i was thinking dt swiss, but have been put off by reports of flexiness.

Ewan
    Free Member

Both times I've serviced my wotans the turn around time has been three days, day one pickup, day two delivery to them and return, day three delivery to me.

The last time I got them serviced, something in the van piereced (the very thick) wrapping they put on them and put a tiny ding in the stanchion. I took a digi photo and they sorted me out with new stanchions straight away. Very good service.

johnduke
    Free Member

joolsburger, did you get hit by customs on your forks?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Magura forks – aftersales and servicing: hassle or not?’ is closed to new replies.