Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Magicshine/DX light. Help need to determine if it's terminal…
  • rockhopper70

Dug the light out last night with a view to starting charging cycles. Last used 9 month ago and was left probably 80% charged. Light head is 3 years old. Battery was new from DX last winter.
    Put the battery on charge and red light lit. Couldn’t remember if that meant charging or charging complete but left it on charge for 30 mins. Attached light to battery and it illuminated when the connection was made then went off (normal). Rear of lamp switch glowing green and I was able to cycle throughout settings fine. All working ok. So another half hour of charge (on red) to see if I could work out this red light/green light thing.
    Took the light out on the walk with the pooch this morning. Made the connection with the battery and light flashed on and off. Then no glow on the switch at all. Came home and plugged battery in to charger. Charger on red for around 2 mins then to green. Plugging light to battery, light flashes on then off and switch glows red and light won’t turn on. I suspect battery is faulty? Can I cycle charge it to recover it?
    If it is the battery then I can decide to buy another dx, get one from smudge (although at £50 odd quid I’m not sure it makes sense when I could get a) lumenator for not much more. First things first tho, is my light knackered?
    Ta

JAG

I don’t know the answer but I’ll be watching what advice you get as my battery appears to have died too 🙁

It’s a different light but any help with fault finding is welcomed.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of battery packs die in the past, displaying the same symptoms you’ve described. Pulling the pack apart, I found water damage to the board, and it was cheaper to replace than repair.

rockhopper70

Evening bump…

cchris2lou

2 of my batteries died same way .

they have very thin metal plate to connect the batteries between them and then on to the board . both rusted away and broke .
    when i get a soldering iron i ll try and fix them .

Lemming
    Free Member

These battery packs do not appear well-sealed against the elements at all- there’s no sealing between the heat-shrinking and end plates, or where the cable exits. The fabric holder does nothing to help on that front. So I smeared everywhere that moisture can get in with silicone sealant. An alternative would be to put the pack in a water bottle, but how-ever you got the cable through you’d also need to make sure that’s sealed.

Still bargain lights though 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Magicshine/DX light. Help need to determine if it's terminal…’ is closed to new replies.