Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 292 total)
  • iOS 6 – No more Street View. Booo!!!
  • AlexSimon

Can someone report on whether anything runs slower on an iPhone4 (non-S) with the new OS.
    ios5 was a tad slower than 4, but still perfectly fast. But wouldn’t want things to start chugging.

xiphon
    Free Member

Whenever I do an os upgrade on a phone, I *always* do a factory reset before the upgrade – then again, after the upgrade.

Only need to do it once, so worth taking the time IMHO

iPhone 3GS – iOS 5 was snappier (perceived to be faster overall to the user…) than iOS 4 to me.

Jamie
    Free Member

Driving the Google Street View car looks like fuuuuuuu…ooooohhh…shiiiiit!

yoshimi

Crap, I’ve only just discovered it too!

atlaz
    Free Member

The ios5 to ios6 upgrade can be done over the air so no more 2 hours of chugging itunes followed by hours of waiting for activation

CaptJon
    Free Member

I cycled past a street view car last month. I was excited about my riding being featured on street view, until i noticed the driver was parked and eating his lunch.

ohnohesback – Member
    Here’s something else you may miss out from having on your Apple device, the right to film…

Airplane mode?

packer
    Free Member

The update is now available to download

Drac

OMG! OMG! OMG!

I checked 10 minutes ago and wasn’t there so just popped up.

CountZero

The big problem with the ios6 maps app by all accounts is its lack of accuracy in locating places. Seems a quite basic bit of functionality but I rely on the iphone map app to find shops, restaurants, bars etc when I don’t have a precise address so it could be interesting with this new one.

I’ve seen this, from an American who just seems to have issues with it. Seeing as how the info comes from TomTom, and other sources, I can’t imagine it’ll be any less accurate than TomTom on the iPhone.
    I never use Google for navigation anyway, too much of a hassle having to rely on a data connection and hammering my data allowance.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

can you not order and reserve pick up at the store from Apple site?

Nope. Checked that out already. Preorder online/over phone is for home delivery only, and that’s expected to be 2nd week in October. Which is fine, but I’ll be away that week.

I’m not really in a rush, but I might have some spare time and proximity to n Apple store in my favour. I’ll give it a shot. Gotta be in to win! 🙂

muggomagic

The update to iOS 6 was surprisingly quick for a 900mb download and no problems verifying like iOS 5.
    Safari is bloody quick.

andyfla
    Free Member

IMHO the maps app is crap, I used to use it for searching locally, the new app is rubbish,
    No searching,
    No street view

Not good, roll on the google app ,

Drac

You can search in the search bar at the top.

Looks very nice but yes poor 3D coverage means lack of street view. Be good when Google release there’s.

bol

The Apple Maps satellite pic of my house is at least eight years old. Mmm, progress. At least the update was nice and easy.

Houns

Where’s YouTube gone?

jam-bo

the app store.

grum
    Free Member

MHO the maps app is crap, I used to use it for searching locally, the new app is rubbish,
    No searching,

How ya mean no searching?

Lionheart
    Free Member

yeh wheres YOUTUBE gone??!!

Jamie
    Free Member
    Lionheart
    Free Member

Maps don’t seem as good : (

clubber
    Free Member

since O’Darc isn’t on, I have to ask….

…does it have flash?

grum
    Free Member

Maps don’t seem as good : (

In what way?

tortoisenothair
    Free Member

does siris now cover uk bussiness?

Rio

The Apple Maps satellite pic of my house is at least eight years old

You’re lucky if you can tell that, the satellite pic of our area is in such low resolution that you can’t see the road, never mind something as small as a house.

convert

I can’t even see our village and the nearest town is the vaguest of images in the satellite view. Aside from turn by turn this seems to be a retrograde step of about 10 years on the mapping front. Will assign icon to my not in use folder when the google arrives.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So it seems this slapfest between Apple and Google has been really great for consumers. Won’t be updating till I’m back from Germany but some of the map images being posted on the web seem, well, a bit shit. Shirley google maps will be free won’t it?

bruneep

Drac – Moderator
    You can search in the search bar at the top.

Looks very nice but yes poor 3D coverage means lack of street view. Be good when Google release there’s.

Posted from an apple device? 😉

convert

The more I use it the worse it gets. Just tried finding my mother’s house in the highlands. Postcode is not recognised , the name of the hamlet is not there and the A road near it has had the road number removed and replaced with the word “highland”. Highland seems to be the name of a lot of roads according to Apple! The satellite image is just a green pixelated blur. There is no way you could find her house with this app.

No idea if it’s better in the states but Apple should be ashamed to have released this without more investment first.

GrahamS

Lets highlight some good map apps to fill the gap then.

These are all free (or maybe 69p):
    NavFree – turn by turn directions, maps stored on device so no data needed
    Waze – turn by turn and peer-to-peer live traffic info
    MotionX GPS – multiple map styles with ability to download to device and navigate by gps waypoints (good for MTBing)
    CycleStreets/BikeHub – route planning and turn-by-turn specifically for bikes
    Cycle Network – full Sustrans maps

zokes
    Free Member

Yup, my 4s is staying with iOS5 for the considerable future. Not least since (thanks to this thread) I’ve only just discovered streetview!

Drac

Posted from an apple device?

Yup with added dyslexia it’s spells dizarseta.

atlaz
    Free Member

The Apple maps are just awful. Just looking within 500m of where I live, the vast majority of things are wrong. The street layout is fine but the things I use the maps for like finding bars or petrol stations near where I am are useless. Apple insists there are two petrol stations within 200m of my flat, one in the middle of a pedestrian zone, one in a wooded park; neither are there.

Luckily I can tether my Nexus tablet to my phone, or use TomTom or use my in-car satnav. Waiting for the Google app.

Drac

The Apple maps use TomTom so that’s interesting, I never really used my for navigating anyway. I find any Satnav a pain in the backside so use the fashioned method of looking on a map.

Jamie
    Free Member

So it seems this slapfest between Apple and Google has been really great for consumers. Won’t be updating till I’m back from Germany but some of the map images being posted on the web seem, well, a bit shit. Shirley google maps will be free won’t it?

/OT

Not just in this arena though. The GPS logging software I use on the Mac, Rubitrack, is losing Google maps in the next big upgrade, and switching to OSM. Which means I have gone from seeing what trail I just run, to what city I was near…if I am lucky. Google have every right to charge for their software, but it seems they don’t have tiered charges for smaller developers, as the guy who makes the software stated that if he paid what Google, and Bing, wanted, then it would put them out of business straight away.

Grrrr!

/Back OT

I am going to to stick with 5.1.1 for the foreseeable. Never sure why people rush to upgrade to a new OS, whether mobile or desktop. Especially when it’s a one way process for most.

zokes
    Free Member

Part of me thinks that Google have been very canny in their business modelling. Provide (at low cost or free) a service, improve it so it becomes almost indispensable and a part of many peoples’ software and daily routines, then ramp the price up whilst offering you own alternatives only available on Google platforms. Hmmmm

atlaz
    Free Member

Drac – They used a hybrid of TomTom, Wase and some company they bought. My guess is they bought base maps from TomTom (those are correct so far at least) and have sourced POIs etc from elsewhere.

atlaz
    Free Member

then ramp the price up whilst offering you own alternatives only available on Google platforms.

Not that I think Google are averse to screwing people over, but I don’t think any useful service from Google that started free has gone paid?

Jamie
    Free Member

then ramp the price up whilst offering you own alternatives only available on Google platforms

Google = Ad revenue

So, there will be no charge, just increased adverts/data mining.

Drac

A temporary measure.

If you have iOS 6 on your phone, point your Safari browser to maps.google.com and click the export button in the middle of the menu bar to save the app to your homescreen. Once installed, you’ll now see “Google Maps” on your homescreen complete with its own appropriately designed app icon.

zokes
    Free Member

but I don’t think any useful service from Google that started free has gone paid?

That probably depends on what charges (nominal or not) have always been in place for third-party developers using their maps. Clearly those charges appear to be increasing (or other restrictions are being imposed) otherwise iPhone users would have had the same maps experience as android users, and the software company in Jamie’s example wouldn’t be having to change supplier.

What I was getting at was this: until a few years ago, few of us knew we wanted or “needed” high resolution satellite photos of everywhere we’re ever likely to go, with location information for shops and restaurants to boot.

EDIT:

So, there will be no charge, just increased adverts/data mining.

Presumably there is now an increased charge to the company you were using as an example, else their next version of software would still use google?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 292 total)

The topic ‘iOS 6 – No more Street View. Booo!!!’ is closed to new replies.