• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by j3ffo.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Madeira – Anyone ridden out there?
  • woollybackpaul
    Free Member

I’m out there on holiday next July and looking to get a few days riding in.

Anyone ridden out there? If so, is it any good and who did you ride with? (I’m thinking Freeride Madeira look like the best bet?)

Cheers!

variflex
    Free Member

yup, free ride are very good. their equivalent of enduro is proper hard core so unless you are used to serious alp type downhill technical stuff then opt for all mountain or xc which can be like afan on steroids. they have an amazing environment in that they have everything from sandy dusty trails to super rocky technical stuff to tropical forest single track. their hire bikes are vey good (spec enduro) so don’t have to take your own bike. really friendly team and well organised and good value. hope it helps

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

Cheers Variflex – sounds like it’ll be spot on.

This is the family holiday but I’ll be out in Morzine the week before with the chaps so should be a good warm up (aye, I know, I got lucky this year when it comes to hollibobs) 😀

justatheory
    Free Member

The Rat likes it!

Fabdad
    Free Member

Was there in May and just loved it, just signed up for next May! Pretty sure we did the all mountain package which was spot on with a 160mm bike. If you’re there on a family hols I’d be tempted to stay with that level unless your last name is Fairclough or Bryceland:-)

BigDummy
    Free Member
    emmodd
    Free Member

Yep, did enduro with them in October and it was great. The terrain etc is so varied for such a small place.

shortcut

Riding out there – personally I used a plane and then did some riding with Freeride Madeira who do a great job of uplifting you and showing you some varied trails and great food stops.

toby1

If only this site was linked to a magazine that may have done an article on such a country earlier in the year, someone is missing a trick there!

noahhowes
    Free Member

It’s nothing short of superb riding. It’s a hard as you want it to be. The variety is the best bit, there’s rocks, loam, forests, tight single track, fast open sections and everything in between. I think it’s the best place I’ve ever ridden, mostly because there’s no one else there, just you, your mates seemingly unlimited trails and a guide for days on end. And the guides are fast, really fast.

bikebouy
    Free Member

variflex – Member
    yup, free ride are very good. their equivalent of enduro is proper hard core so unless you are used to serious alp type downhill technical stuff then opt for all mountain or xc which can be like afan on steroids. they have an amazing environment in that they have everything from sandy dusty trails to super rocky technical stuff to tropical forest single track. their hire bikes are very good (spec enduro) so don’t have to take your own bike. really friendly team and well organised and good value. hope it helps

This sums my experience up, I took my roadie out there for a week and ended up using these guys for two days hacking. Great team, really friendly and the routes they took us lot on (small group of 5) were a huge mix of varying terrain.. You get it all really. I particularly liked the pine forests that criss-cross the top of the Island.

And, and it’s warm too 😀

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

Not a bad word to be said then (goes off to congratulate the other half in picking an excellent location for a family holiday).

Thanks for the input everyone, really looking forward to it now, roll on summer! 🙂

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Not been there but looking for a cheap week away at the start of Jan. The missus doesn’t ride, so we’ll do some walking when there. Madeira actually looks amazing.

Anyone any tips or advice on good all inclusive hotels? Or just to B&B it?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used a complex just out of Town situated on a Golf Course. Sounds grim but actually was exceptionally brilliant and not at all filled with Golfer types. Would definitely go back there, open fire, three bedrooms, spacious appt overlooking the sea/harbour etc. etc.
    We also fitted in walking and can thoroughly recommend the canals that crisscross the mountains. Google them, theres loads of recommendations of walking to be had.
    Only thing I think you definitely need is a car. I booked one for 3 days of a week then ended up booking it for the whole week.
    Them hills are steep, when carrying shopping even worse. Not a flat bit on the island except the airstrip 😆
    Then go visit the Madeira Wine processing plant on the other side of Town on the hill and sample some excellent Vino’s..

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Cheers for that will have a look. Those canal walks look pretty epic, and I’m sure I could convince her to do some wine related tourism! I’ve taken her round enough breweries and distilleries after all!

j3ffo
    Free Member

I’ve been twice and used Freeride Madeira both times. Great guides and a great place to ride. Booking was easy and they were very reliable on pickups etc.

They have a range of guides and they are all nice guys…

The island is great, very varied terrain and trails, uplift and a guide is almost essential though to get the most out of it. Pretty tech in places but great fun.

Food and drink pretty cheap

We booked a hotel / transfers ourselves and they just came and picked us up. Funchal is where the majority of stuff is and can often find pretty good deals (we got £200 off through jet2 holidays this time)

Have fun!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Madeira – Anyone ridden out there?’ is closed to new replies.