Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Machynlleth…
  • Clobber
    Free Member

I’m staying near Machynlleth at the end of the month, are the Mach 1,2,3 Climachx trails easy enough to find and then waymarked?

The Dyfi website says to buy maps from the Holey Trail bike shop but that looks likes its closed now.

Any tips?

mattmbk
    Free Member

ClimachX is easy to find and waymarked but for the others you need a map as the waymarks are hopeless. They are available from other shops in the High St but you should find one online somewhere. Go prepared as you will find yourself quite quickly in the middle of nowhere. Don’t forget Nant Y Aran is nearby too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed. Climachx can be ridden from the town centre pretty easily. Either take the 487 or the back road that shadows it up to Ceinws and you’re away. (Back road has more hills if you like that kind of thing!)

mtbfix

All the way marking of the Mach2 (I think) had been removed when I rode it a couple of years ago. Some careful navigation was required in places.

Clobber
    Free Member

I do fancy Nant y Arian, but I’ll be situated between Coed y Brenin and Machynlleth so was planning trips to those 2. Done CyB already though…

So start in Machynlleth high street and buy maps then?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So start in Machynlleth high street and buy maps then?

Yep.

Also, a couple of other tips for you;
    Breakfast at Bywyty Maengwyn on Heol Maengwyn is a cracking example of greasy spoon cuisine pre-ride nutrition. Top nommage.
    The Spar across the way from it has a very good selection of local beers, including the rather lovely Purple Moose.

rickk

Cader Idris?

I like Nant y Arian, apart from a long fire road climb at one point.

Mind you Cader Idris is also a lot of climbing!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Theres a short cut up to the top of climachx where you turn left 2/3rds of the way up the winding fireroad and head for the big phone mast on the top.. then look for the shonky northshore bit to join the trail

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cloudnine, we usually use that short cut to have another bash at the end of the DH or two. Well worth looking for it, I agree!

Clobber
    Free Member

Cader Idris looks even closer, any routes available

And good call on Purple Moose CFH!

chvck
    Free Member

If you fancy Mach and Nant then do one massive loop taking in both (the mach 3, not the climachx – unless you’re utterly nuts) 😀

RobHilton
    Free Member

Cader Idris looks even closer, any routes available

Pony Path from near Llanfihangel y Pennant

Clobber
    Free Member

Pony Path

Is that welsh for Bridleway? 🙂

rickk

There’s only one route for Cader, straight up and down the same track (unless you are naughty and take the footpath (Pony Path) down) – always thought that would be a nice route but it will put you down into Dolgellau the wrong side of a bl**dy great hill!

The run down from the peak of Cader is (IMHO as an XC mincer) a cracking descent.

If you do go down the Pony Path there is a car park at the base – head on from there past campsite and towards the farms and there are some good tracks there, a loop could be made if you don’t mind some cheeky.

nickjb
    Free Member

Anybody got a GPX for any of these routes? I’m heading that way next weekend. email in profile 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I did one of the machs a few years ago and wasn’t that impressed.Sorry!

Clobber
    Free Member

To put it in perspective howsyourdad, I live near Peterborough…

dti

look at
    http://www.dyfimountainbiking.org.uk/Dyfi_MTB/Welcome.html

if you email beudybanc@yahoo.co.uk i can send some routes.

scandal42
    Free Member

Loved Arian

dti

oh, if you are on facebook – there is a dyfi mountain biking group, rides on tuesday nights

chvck
    Free Member

If it was the mach 3 then it isn’t massively exciting, it’s more “classic” imo, getting out into the countryside. Well, other than the chute – that’s pretty exciting! The climachx is more modern(? is that right?) as trail centres go.

I have a gpx for the nant-mach loop if you want it nickjb.

Clobber
    Free Member

Thanks dti, YHM 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

Have a look at the Strava heat map and the route for the Dyfi to find some great riding north up the valley.

Back in the early 90s a small group from Wolves would get the train west to my mate’s uncles and spend a weekend riding out of Macch. We had a route out of MBUK that featured some amazing moorland and forests with crazy bogs. Rigid bikes all the way with Orange Clockwork, Marin Pine Mountain, Yeti Fro Pro (I still suffer with bike envy) and my Stumpjumper.

I was reminded last weekend at the Dyfi why I enjoyed it so much and why I have such fond memories.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Clobber – Member
    To put it in perspective howsyourdad, I live near Peterborough…

Ah yes, ok, you’ll have the time of your life! Head to Bwlch Nant yr Arian if you want to exploooode with excitement

mtbmatt
    Free Member

If you are up for a longer ride, then its possible to ride from Mach, do a trail at Nant and get back. There is some really fantastic riding on the way – also a very long climb.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Machynlleth…’ is closed to new replies.