Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Calling all Car Mechanics!
  • walla24
    Free Member

Hello folks, thanks to anyone who has previously helped with my car issues on here 😉

I now have a bigger challenge!

Basically the short story is: myself and my equally mechanically inept friend are going to be driving to mongolia in support of ShelterBox and CoolEarth this summer.

Would anyone mind if we bounce (potentially daft) questions of them regarding our vehicle prep please?

Our website for more info
    On a brighter note we are now sponsored by Toyo tyres 🙂

Sui
    Free Member

Walla, th elink doesn’t work, but;

from an engines technical point of view, you will be covering vast distances and encountering vastly different fuel grades/qualities.

Things to remember the further east you go;

Sulphur will be higher in fuel (a vehicle without a cat/dpf will be a good start)
    Fuels are often used as a dumping ground for cheaper components, such as methanol, heating oils, fuel oils etc
    Lubricity (diesel) is likely to be an issue (keep some additive with you, you wont need much – I can help with this if you want)
    coking on injectors will be an issue (detergent will be an issue – I can help with this as well)
    Ignition qualities will be poor, cetane/octane -so look to “retard” the timing – pull it back, or if a map exists put it to it’s lowest quality setting.

Crankcase lubricants can be an issue with eastern (and western to be honest) fuels – consider starting with a very good grade and carrying that through.

Filter blocking is the industries biggest issue at the moment which is a problem from fuels containing bio. think about spare filters

if you want specifics drop me a line – email in profile.

Sui

nickjb
    Free Member

My dad has done a few big road trips. The biggest issues seem to be border crossings and the state of the roads. Cars take and absolute hammering and stuff will break. You can have a read of his blog of the last trip to Cape Town, its a mix of driving and wildlife watching (and in reverse order, start at the bottom): http://drivingdarkafrica.wordpress.com/page/2/

Milkie
    Free Member

Good luck, always wanted to do something like this.

Sui
    Free Member

Just thought, if you can (and this may be a bit ott), try and fit an under tray to stop stones and shiz from pinging up into the engine, as it takes not a lot for a pipe to burst.

walla24
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies,

>>>Fixed link here<<<

Sui, I am writing you a mail now, thanks

I probably should have mentioned the car is a 2000 plate petrol saxo with 100K clocked(!)

walla24
    Free Member

for my first daft question, we have been kindly offered free tyres….
    however for obvious reason they don’t have anything all terrain that would fit such a small car, would we gain anything from running ‘winter’ tyres of highways?

thomthumb
    Free Member

however for obvious reason they don’t have anything all terrain

what about rally type tyres? ask the tyre company? what about the open country tyres they do?

oh. and good luck.

walla24
    Free Member

the open countries start at 225mm wide…way too wide for us, stock is 155!
    The company are manufacturors and have nothing else in their range sadly, but awesome to have a set for the highways anyway.

thomthumb
    Free Member

stock is 155

😯

try sportway. http://www.sportwaytyres.com/

they make rally tyres and i think they start at about £30

walla24
    Free Member

great shout thanks

coffeeking
    Free Member

Saxo is a good car to take but you could go more simple for security. Personally I’d go carb’d 1.4 pug 205 if I were doing it – almost nothing to go wrong, runs without water for hours, everything is capable of half-working when broken IME 🙂

tron
    Free Member

It’ll be fine, just stick a sump guard on and get on with it… Take spare tyres.

walla24
    Free Member

having just finalise entry/exit dates for visas there isn’t much room to be broken down for days on end.

making up a sump guard template for a local smithy this week, and will be taking the cat off in favour of a through pipe after some good advice

walla24
    Free Member

So next silly question,

Can I raise the clearance a couple inches by just buying springs/dampers slightly longer than stock? I’m guessing a couple inches isn’t going to make much difference to the angles on the uni/shaft joints etc…

If yes, can anyone point me at some please?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

It’ll be fine, just stick a sump guard on and get on with it… Take spare tyres.

This.

Loads of people do the mongal rally every year in all sorts of old junk.
    Going in a car that is over prepared will take half the adventure out of the trip.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to drive that far in a Saxo.. into town and back was enough for me 🙂

docstar
    Free Member

I had a couple of saxos when I started driving and the only part that failed on both was the power steering pump nearly sure it was an electric type on the 1.1

docstar
    Free Member

Still drive able when it failed just really heavy steering.

marcus7
    Free Member

Fresh set of springs on the front as the roads will hammer them especially if they have a fair number of miles on them (not sure if the back is torsion bar?). steel wheels plus spares. lots of duct tape and bingo! you are good to go!.

walla24
    Free Member

Pretty sure no power steering to start with (or it’s failed already!)

Looking to swap the springs/dampers up front….can I just wack on some a bit longer than stock to raise the front?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ring Jamie or Owen on 01727 834004. Mates of mine have been mechanic support on Peking to Paris etc. Knows their onions they does.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Can I raise the clearance a couple inches by just buying springs/dampers slightly longer than stock?

i have heard of people putting diesel springs in petrol cars to gain a little stiffer set up/ ride height. The diesel spring will be designed for the same length but heavy engine so should sit higher in the travel.

I have no idea whether this is worth it or sensible.

The other option is if springs from a larger citroen fit xsara or something…

marcus7
    Free Member

Don’t dick around with ride heights etc as you’ll probably bugger the handling (as such) also if you do break a spring for example you are way more likely to find a replacement locally if its stock. Apart from sump guards etc keep it stock and keep it simple, carry spares like filters etc which are small and light. Carrying a full strut assembly in the back may not be a fantastic plan!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A lot of less developed countries have the same cars we do, but with longer springs (or at least raiser kits), I’m thinking Turkey in particular as an example. Maybe ask at a peugot/citoren garrage if they have part numbers for cars in foreign markets? You can also get elasomer spacers that fit in the gaps in the coil to add ride height/spring rate.

Have a look at sites like the plymouth-dakar rally.

walla24
    Free Member

Excellent info folks, il look into it!
    Thanks for the number too, and the chuckle Marcus 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Calling all Car Mechanics!’ is closed to new replies.