Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mach 5 Golf GT TDI, any problems?
  • Special_ized_Jamie

Looking at getting one of these.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? I know VW’s tend to be reliable but you never know! 54 plate if thats any help.

Cheers

djglover
    Free Member

Climatronic can be intermittently faulty, ie works on a test drive but packs up after about 30 mins of driving.

Flywheel apparently look out for the sound of a distant police siren

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Have a lokk on Honest John’s website. He gives a model by model breakdown. Most modern motors are sound,but VW do have their share of problems and parts aren’t cheap.

footflaps

VW Reliability thing is just marketing. Come way down on JD Power survey for reliability. Mark IV Golfs were terrible.

Shandy
    Free Member

My Mark V hasn’t given me any difficulties, its petrol mind. Apparantly they’re a lot better when they’re serviced at least once a year.

Drac

Had 3 Mk V GT TDi and had the following problems in no particular order:

Here ends the list.

Great cars and JD Power is not great to go with people expect a lot from an expensive than a cheap so it effects the survey greatly.

djglover
    Free Member

I did 90K in mine with no problems at all

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Wheel bearings can be very short-lived.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Very pleased with mine – 08 GT Sport (2 litre TDI). The air con – as previously mentioned – isn’t the most sophisticated, to say the least, and I can’t get the CD player to play gapless albums, but it’s not ruining my life! You’ll enjoy it. I have the 143psi version, and to be honest couldn’t tell a massive difference between that and the more expensive / less economical 170odd psi version. You do get 2 exhaust pipes with that one though… 🙂

Ambrose

Mach 5?- that is a VERY quick motor.

FWIW, I have a 56 1.9 tdi in my Passat. Dual mass flywheel/ Clutch exploded at 35,000 miles. Warranty job, but definately NOT good. I had reported gear change issues several times, every time VW said there was no problem so I put it down to being over-enthusiastic on my part. And then it went BANG. Since being replaced there has been no recurrance of the issue.

JulianA
    Free Member

Beaten to it! Mach 5 is faster than the SR71 Blackbird!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mach 5 Golf GT TDI, any problems?’ is closed to new replies.