Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • M970 rear deraillieur – technical – spring question
  • Blurboy
    Free Member

Major loss of chain tension, although when stripped out the barrel spring, inside the bolt that goes into the rear hanger that provides the tension here, (not the external one that is visible) was dirty and covered in grit. Cleaned and re-greased this and re-assembled but still not enough tension. Question is how many times do you twist the spring when re-assembling? Anyone that has done this will know what I mean. I did it one turn and felt that 2 would be too much. Failing that, anyone know where to buy a replacement spring please

Blurboy
    Free Member

ooooops – just too techy, obviously!

jemima
    Free Member

hhmmm. A mate’s Saint rear mech kept popping this spring out but I can’t remember how many ‘turns’ he gave it on reassembly. If one turn is not enough try two??? What’s the worst that can happen?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I had this happen to an XT after a crash. I cant remember how many twists when re-assembling. Suck it and see. I don’t think you can get spare springs.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not sure you’ll get more than one turn on it anyway. Are you turning it the correct way, should be tightening the spring rather than opening it, if that makes sense.

Blurboy
    Free Member

Hi – Thanks all. I think I am tightening the spring but was loath to try 2 turns as it required so much pressure it felt that something would break. I have now ‘invested’ in a new replacement deraillieur, not cheap are they, and am back on the road so will now try the 2 turns ‘kill or cure’ approach.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘M970 rear deraillieur – technical – spring question’ is closed to new replies.