Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lyriks – Bushing play: User experinces please!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, I've got some coil Lyriks. There's very noticeable play in the bushings, more so in the right leg than in the left.
    (It's 100% definately the bushes, so don't strart suggesting other stuff like loose headsets, OK 🙂 )
    To me, this feels bad.

However, I'm assured by a VERY reputable source that this is normal, and the way that they should be set up to keep them sensitive etc

So, I'm just wondering what other users' experience of Lyrik bushes is? Are they all like this? Am I being an old fusspot?

retro83
    Free Member

It's a known problem with Lyriks isn't it?

It'd annoy me anyway. I'd probably send them to TF Tuned to get them resized properly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It'd annoy me anyway. I'd probably send them to TF Tuned to get them resized properly.

TFT have just serviced them. They are the reputable source I was talking about. I've just called them about it. They say it's fine. I'm undecided. Serioulsy, I dunno what to think. I trust TFT but it doesn't feel right all the same……

retro83
    Free Member

Well if it's supposed to be like that, why do you have it worse on the right leg than the left one?

I'd be concerned about the bushings binding and possible wear to the stanchions.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So, any Lyrik USERS about then? 🙂

Padowan
    Free Member

I've got coil U-turn Lyriks on my Remedy and I also have a modicum of play and it's only mildly annoying. I spoke to TFT about it and was also told that this was common and nothing to worry about unless it seems to be getting worse.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cheers Padown. 🙂

I'm hopefully going to compare them to a mates set sometime this week, but it's a tad annoying to spunk £110 at a service especially for the PPdS this weekend, when I could have done the same myself for £10.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I got my Lyrik bushings resized by Flooks and it made a huge difference. They also put a custom wiper seal in and the forks are like butter now. No binding or stiction.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, i've got no stiction. Just sloppy bushes 🙁

geetee1972
    Free Member

When do you notice the play? I have a set of coil Lyriks and can't say that I've ever noticed anything adverse while riding. If you rock your bike back and forth while stationary against the brake then pretty much most forks will feel like they've got play in them. My Boxxer World Cups were really noticeable for this but in use they felt fine.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you rock your bike back and forth while stationary against the brake then pretty much most forks will feel like they've got play in them

Nahh they don't. Not ones just back from TFT anyway. I only send mine off when the bushes need doing, this is about the 6th pair I've had done, and the first I'm not 100% happy with.

I think they'll be going back, but I can't get them sorted before the Thursday. Just no time.

mrplow
    Free Member

I've had my u-turn lyrics since the year they came out. Soon after I got them they developed nasty play so they were sent off to Fishers to get rebuilt. Got them back and they developed play almost instantly although not as bad as the first time. As I just wanted to use them I left them and always said I would buy 36s when they died.

…they never did die. At the start of this year I sent them to TF and they did their service, inspected bushes, wiper seal mod. They report the forks as A1 condition and they still had a bit of play in them. I have had a couple of odd rides when they felt like they had killed the bushes so put them back to TF who said they were mint. This may have been headset etc as I am never convinced my headset is that happy (CK on an 06 enduro has had a few funny reports about sizing and design).

Forks are still going strong and have little stiction. I agree with Geetee – I do not notice the play when riding.

Padowan
    Free Member

I wonder if it has anything to do with the installation process?

I can imagine that the bushes are fitted then gradually expanded until the fit is correct. Maybe it's a one-way process (ie once you expand them it's a pain or impossible to reduce them again?) and so sometimes they "overshoot" a bit and reducing would necessitate removal and starting again perhaps even with a new pair of bushes?

I'm just speculating here, I don't know the in's and out's of the installation process and also importantly I'm not implying that TFT would in any way chose to do a less than perfect job because the process might be a PITA.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

they never did die. At the start of this year I sent them to TF and they did their service, inspected bushes, wiper seal mod. They report the forks as A1 condition and they still had a bit of play in them. I have had a couple of odd rides when they felt like they had killed the bushes so put them back to TF who said they were mint.

This is pretty much what they said to me – You can't kill 'em with a stick, basically!
    Ahh well. They're off for a 5 day battering in t'Alps this weekend. We shall see…..

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Mine (u-turns) are about 2.5 years old. There might be a fraction of play in there, buit it's not something you'd notice without stuffing your finger in between the brace and stanchion and rocking on it. Even then, it's *very* marginal. Certainly nothing like the bushing play I've had from other manu's forks.

bazzer
    Free Member

I had a pair of lyrics which developed a lot of play in the bushes about 3 months from new. Fishers replaced the lowers under waranty. They lasted about a year and the play came back. I was off to Whistler and told them I was not that happy for them to fix them for them to die again when I was away. They replaced the whole fork and I have had no problem ever since.

I can feel slight movement between the uppers and lowers but cant feel it when riding.

The play in the original set was terrible though it felt like a worn headseat. Terrible under braking.

That was all about 3 years ago and they have been mint ever since.

Bazzer

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think they're gonna be going back.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I just noticed at the weekend that mine are worn – less than 7 months use.
    (Coil U-Turn)

Radioman

Here is my experience of my Lyric coil 2008 model(Bought in early 2009 from a shop)

Fork felt "ok" when new but developed more stiction over a few months. I always carefuly cleaned & oiled it after rides & it didnt get any wet weather use.

I tried turning the low speed compression damping right down to see if that made any difference(forgot i had done that on the next ride and went over the bars on a small rock drop!!). I heard bushings on this model were stiff but hoped it would improve…eventualy they became so bad the forks wouldnt extend to full travel on their own…only 145mm…a bad case!!

I then got them serviced by TF Tuned 2 months ago. Massive improvement. They said the bushings had been inserted out of line in the factory. They resized as best as possible and removed an oil wiper (or something similar?) to make them plusher too. Now they are fantastic. Totally different fork. If I was buying Rockshox again I would buy straight from TF as they sort all the stuff out in the beginning.

I did just that & bought from TF Tuned when I got my new FOX DHX rear shock for my SX Trail & got it Pushed at the same time..I'm very pleased I did that, its amazing!I think you save time and money buying straight from TF in the beginning.

It annoys me to think I "wasted" almost a year on a sh*t Fork before TF sorted it out for me. The Lyric is a superb fork when it is put together properly!

mushrooms
    Free Member

It's not a problem really, I've sent off a pike and a lyrik to tft both with play and they didn't bother to do anything about it. Apparently they were no worse than the play you get in fox forks.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lyriks – Bushing play: User experinces please!’ is closed to new replies.