Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Ludicrously painful toe – kill it with fire?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

OK, so on Sunday I was trail building; clearing a load of hawthorn.

I felt a sharp pain in my toe, so I took my sock off and had a look to find a bit of blood leaking from the bottom of my little toe, but no obvious splinter.

Walking was bloody painful, and mashing the pedals was worse. I had a bit of a poke about when I got home, but couldn’t see any foreign bodies in there.

Fast forward 4 days and it is still really painful. I had a bit of a dig about with a knife, and still couldn’t see a splinter. There is a hard lump which when touched (even with the lightest pressure) causes white hot searing agony. The rest of the toe is absolutely fine and can be prodded/manipulated without pain (so I’m pretty sure its not broken), apart from a bit on the outside of my toe which (due to swelling of the toe) is now rubbing on my shoes and is getting progressively more tender.

Have I got something stuck in there that I just can’t see?
    Can I really go to a doctor with a ‘hurty toe’?
    When will the pain stop?!
    Can I amputate it myself?

Dave

sugdenr
    Free Member

I would guess a bit of thorn went right in deep? Swelling likely to be from infection in that case, pain is pressure build up from pus. If so I usually use nail clippers to cut the thing right open so I can clear out the debris and pus, disinfect it really well and get it healing.

globalti
    Free Member

Get to a Dr fast and ask him for antibiotics, you have injected a bacterium deep into yourself and need treatment fast.

Is your tetanus up to date? Anybody who does outdoor sports ought to keep topped up for tetanus.

BigJohn

It’s a well known phenomenon which only affects forumites who always sign their posts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Minor injuries clinic. the moist likely thing is you still have a bit of debris in there. stop digging about on your own. aletrnatively when the puss builds up enough it wil come out with the pus. I’d rather have it dealt with by a pro

alfabus
    Free Member

minor injuries better than GP ?

Am I likely to be able to get in and out quickly, or is it more like A&E where I’ll be there for 8 hours because I’m not dying?

Dave

carlphillips
    Free Member

If you want it seen to asap then you could go see a podiatrist (it’ll cost mind!)
    I dig splinters and the like out of peoples feet all the time.

clubber
    Free Member

alfabus – Member
    minor injuries better than GP ?

Am I likely to be able to get in and out quickly, or is it more like A&E where I’ll be there for 8 hours because I’m not dying?

Dave

Depends – last time I went it was about 20 mins wait.

clubber
    Free Member

or just cut your foot off.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Minor injuries best if you have one locally as waits are usually much less and you can just hobble in

avdave2

And Dave left the world with his final words recorded as:

because I’m not dying

alfabus
    Free Member

well… i thought I’d give the onsite nurse a try first.

she has dressed it with Magnesium Sulphate with the hope that it will draw the spiky nasty stuff out.

From the amount of pain, I’m expecting to find this in my sock later:

Dave

avdave2

From the amount of pain, I’m expecting to find this in my sock later:

I might ask Santa for one of those in my stocking.

aracer
    Free Member

I might ask Santa for one of those in my stocking.

<makes note to be careful handling stockings in case Santa’s put one of those in>

nickf
    Free Member

I did the same, ended up with cellulitis. And several days in hospital on a drip, being severely warned by a medic as to my complete stupidity for ignoring it.

Get it seen to by a proper medic.

project
    Free Member

Go to an NHS drop in center and tell the receptionist youve got a small prick, in your little toe, you should get a responce when she has picked herself up off the floor.

Seriously people have died quite quick from small pricks off rose buses, theyre a serious cause of infection.

alfabus
    Free Member

the nurse didn’t seem to think that infection was likely, just told me to leave the mag sulphate on overnight, then have a hot shower in the morning and see if there is any change.

not sure what i’d do after that… repeat maybe?

dropping dead from an ‘owie’ in my toe is not high on my list of things to do this weekend.

Dave

Cougar

Well, there is change, isn’t there. It’s swollen and painful. Stop being macho (MTFD?) and go get it sorted.

Harry_the_Spider

1. Photo
    2. Squeeze
    3. Photo of puss
    4. Post photos

alfabus
    Free Member

there isn’t any pus… it is just a bit swollen where it is rubbing on my shoe.

absolutely no pain as long as I am not prodding it, or wearing shoes.

Dave

thegreatape
    Free Member

Buy some bigger shoes?

chrischennell
    Free Member
    CharlieMungus
    Free Member

it could be just the end of a thorn, buried in your toe, slowly working it’s way into your body until it enters a large artery and get carried along in the flow until you feel a sharp pain in your head or your heart as the tiny piece buries itself into a vital organ. don’t worry, the pain won’t last for long.

avdave2

it could be just the end of a thorn, buried in your toe, slowly working it’s way into your body until it enters a large artery and get carried along in the flow until you feel a sharp pain in your head or your heart as the tiny piece buries itself into a vital organ. don’t worry, the pain won’t last for long

It could be worse than that, it could be carbon fibre from a previous crash in which case as above but quicker.

alfabus
    Free Member

That’s ok then, if it’s gone into an artery down by my toe, I should be fine.

Obviously if it had gone into a vein, I’d be more worried 😀

Dave

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, at this stage I’d say quicker is better.

Obviously if it had gone into a vein, I’d be more worried

Oh it’s too big to go into a vein, it will have to work it’s way on in. You’ll know when it gets near your brain, it starts to affect your pedantry gland

alfabus
    Free Member

you missed a full stop out there.

AARRRRRGHHHHH!!! I’m going to die!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll cut your toe off if you like..

Promise it won’t hurt (much) I need the practice see..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I’m sure that the above is correct (ie splinter) but don’t ignore a sore toe for long. It can also be a symptom of diabetes and the context you describe could be coincidental. I hope not, but a family member had this.

higthepig
    Free Member

I felt a sharp pain in my toe, so I took my sock off and had a look to find a bit of blood leaking from the bottom of my little toe, but no obvious splinter.

Did you have shoes on? If you did, have you tried looking at the sole to see if something stuck in it?

If you are a hobbit, disregard the above.

alfabus
    Free Member

!Hobbit. Had shoes on, and had also changed my shoes outside (spds and work shoes for digging)

didn’t find anything in either of my shoes, or in my sock. Was starting to question whether it was a splinter at all, but thinking more about it, it does sound like something big has gone in and come out, leaving the tip behind.

I’m filtering out the doom mongers though… getting a splinter is not likely to have given me the bad AIDS. It just bloody hurts 🙂

Dave

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m filtering out the doom mongers though… getting a splinter is not likely to have given me the bad AIDS. It just bloody hurts

Unless someone put the bad AIDS on the end of the splinter

sharkbait
    Free Member

I got a splinter while chopping wood a few months ago. I could see a tiny little bit sticking out of my little finger but couldnt get hold of it with fingers teeth or pliers.

Left it for a couple of days and my finger kept getting bigger so went to the doc who sent me to A&E. They looked at it and eventually x-rayed it but it didn’t show anything so they sent me home.

Two days later my finger was still throbbing and nicely red at this point and I gave it another squeeze. Nice little spurt of puss followed immediately by a splinter about the thickness of a needle but about 15mm long – damn thing had nearly gone right through my finger.

It felt a lot better after that.

Hope that helps 🙂

higthepig
    Free Member

Unless someone put the bad AIDS on the end of the splinter

Can you get good AIDS? Just interested as everyday is a school day for me. Don’t want it by the way, quite happy with my arthritic bones and tinnitus.

retro83
    Free Member

I think it’s going to be a combination of AvDave and CharlieMongus’ answers: carbon fibre + bad aids 😯 you’re screwed!

sugdenr
    Free Member

So am I the only one around here who performs minor surgery on himself? In my defence I did learn it from my doctor dad who regularly used our dinner table as inpromptu operating table, and who taught me that a fresh stanley knife is as good as damn it sterile!

aracer
    Free Member

I’m filtering out the doom mongers though

Just because we’re doom-mongers doesn’t mean you’re not doomed. Doom, doom, doom.

alfabus
    Free Member

Can you get good AIDS? Just interested as everyday is a school day for me.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFNs2mOkKzc[/video]

sugdenr – Member
    So am I the only one around here who performs minor surgery on himself?

nope definitely not – my toe bears the evidence of my attempted surgery – couple of big holes, trying to find the splinter. Hopefully I haven’t made it worse.

Dave

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is it hurting real bad yet… ???

sugdenr
    Free Member

It’ll all end in (t)ears.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Ludicrously painful toe – kill it with fire?’ is closed to new replies.