Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Luddite computer question
  • Harry_the_Spider

My ancient lap top only has USB so it does not work with my USB2 portable back up device.

Can a USB be configured to USB2 or is it a hardware thing?

Thanks,

Harry T Spider

Luddite

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

It's a hardware thing.

Get a Mac 😀

toys19
    Free Member

Its a hardware thing.
    Do not get a mac. 😈

gonefishin
    Free Member

Surely it should still work though? Don't all USB2 devices work with USB connections albeit at the slower speed?

Del

it may not be a hardware thing.
    go onto the manufacturer's website for your bit of kit, and look for a driver for your version of windows ( xp, vista or whatever ). download and install.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks all.

The lap top wouldn't even see it. My desk top is happy with it though, so i'll leave it.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you have a pcmcia slot you can get an adapter card. Few quid off ebay.

I suspect it is power related, though. Is it a usb powered drive? It might work if you have a separate mains power supply. On my old laptop I had to power the drive from the ps2 socket.

jon1973
    Free Member

Get a Mac

you mean like the one Columbo had?

rusky
    Free Member

I have a USB DVB-T device that isn't recognised in a USB1.1 port but works fine in a USB 2.0 port.

Could try a PC-Card as nickjb suggests

cranberry
    Free Member

If you have a pcmcia slot you can get an adapter card. Few quid off ebay.

This will make things somewhat faster if you can connect your device, but the chances are that your laptop isn't providing enough power via it's USB connectors. One thing worth trying is getting a Y-cable – basically it plugs into 2 of the USB ports on your laptop and gives power to a single device. It should allow you to see/use your portable backup device ( though at USB speeds ).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Luddite computer question’ is closed to new replies.