Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Lubricating Nokon cables
  • Anyone got any suggestions ?

I've got one of those little clamp on cable oilers, but whgen I put it on the end of the cable the GT85 escapes between the cable liner and the aluminium segments rather than going up between the liner and the inner cable. Middleburn oilers would almost certainly do the same if I fitted them.

There's an old motorbike trick of making a plasticine funnel moulded round the outer cable or a plastic bag funnel taped tightly to the outer.

I've had the inner wire wear right through the liner and a couple of the segments in the past, so I could do with some quick and easy way of lubricating the cables.
    It's a Rohloff with two full length cables and a twist grip so it doesn't take much resistance to make it almost impossible to change gear.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have NOkon and I just squirt a bit of 3-in-1 down the inner. No probs. Someone once told me that GT85 is not really a suitable lube for gear cables. I can't remember why!

I have my cables set up with a gap in the liner (that is covered by a bit of clear tube when "not in use") so I can access the inner cable easily. 3-in-1 is viscous enough to find its way between the liner and cable

I've left the bike upside down for a day or two with the cable box open and kept dripping GT85 and Finish Line alternately down the cables like this…

It seems to be working OK, but it's not an ideal solution.

AndyP
    Free Member

don't they still come with the wee transparent bit of tubing for oiling purposes? slide this back, add Cable Magic, slide into position. fin.

There were several bits of clear tube in the cable kit and I couldn't work out what they were for.
    There's a full run from the twistgrip to the clickbox.
    The problem is getting the oil to go between the inner cable and liner, not between the liner and the segments.

AndyP
    Free Member

The problem is getting the oil to go between the inner cable and liner, not between the liner and the segments
    aye, that's what the wee clear bits are for. No good if you have a full run though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Lubricating Nokon cables’ is closed to new replies.