Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • tubeless valve help
  • karnali
    Free Member

okk we're getting there, 355 rim, rim tape, non ust advantage, tack pump and hey presto up it went irst time, however, leaking out of valve. how tight do yu need the the little screw up th eoutdise of the valve, and do you need to do anything special to the valve when puttin it in to avoid it leaking

ta

Kramer
    Free Member

AFAIK the valve needs to be on a rim strip. 😐

matthew_h
    Free Member

Quite tight is about right. When you are fitting the valve press on the rubbery base with your thumb and do the nut up pretty tight. You don't have to really haul on it. As you've already got the tyre on I'd suggest pulling on the valve if you can and nipping the valve's nut up a best you can. You don't need to do anything special to them if you have the right valve for your rims.

Have you got yellow rim tape fitted and is it on really tightly?

sadexpunk

what yellow rim tape do you mean? is it yellow rim tape with a valve attached? or just bog standard yellow rim tape, and you use a valve cut out from an inner tube with it?

do you mean rim tape like this? is this any good for tubeless or do i need to use better rim tape, or the 'ghetto' stylee split inner tube?

matthew_h
    Free Member

The yellow tape I'm talking about is the Stan's Rim tape which is like a very strong insulating tape. What you've got there is just standard rim tape. The Stan's stuff actually seals the rim's spoke holes and makes the rim airtight. Your's won't.

This is what I mean:

http://www.justridingalong.co.uk/?product=47

sadexpunk

ah thanks. cheaper than their £20 dedicated rim strips. why would they sell that?
    i spose you have to poke a hole through it too, and then stick one of their valves in afterwards? so its a bit cheaper than one of their rim strips?

how far up the rim wall does it go? just up to the top? over the edge?

cheers

matthew_h
    Free Member

You can only really get away with the yellow tape on its own with certain rims. Most rims benefit from using the rubbery rim strips. That's why they sell them

Kramer
    Free Member

What he said ^

I've used the rimstrips, even though I probably didn't have to with DT Swiss Rims, but I wanted a really secure system that wouldn't burp.

Kramer
    Free Member

With the rubbery rim strips you don't get such a weight saving as just using the rim tape, but it seems to make a better seal.

sadexpunk

bloody hell this is a minefield 🙂

matthew_h
    Free Member

Sadexpunk, email me at matthew@screamingjaffa.co.uk and I should be able to point you in the right direction

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah I ended up getting full rim strips in order to get a decent seal at the valve, rip-off but I guess they last ages and I mostly went tubeless for the puncture 'proofing'

karnali
    Free Member

just tried again took tyre off little extra yellow tape over the valve re cut the hole re seated tyre and put valve in as tight as i can air compressor tyre goes up air comes out of valve any ideas, should i cut away the yellow tape so the valve sits right on the metal of the valve hole in the rim?

karnali
    Free Member

aha just checked stans site and need to carefully remove the excess tape with a round file, hopefully this will sort it

boxelder

Stick some sealant goo in (if you haven't already). Is air leaking fast? If not, goo will sort it.

karnali
    Free Member

just filed it out at break to remove excess yellow tape, will try again tonighton way home at Benn's, was there this morning and it goes up great, although i'm going ot have to buy a tlust advantage as well for the rear hopefully job doen for the weekend

FuzzyWuzzy

I was finding that the sealant would seal OK around the valve but if you knocked the valve at all it would start leaking again and you'd need to shake it about to get it to reseal

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘tubeless valve help’ is closed to new replies.