Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lower back pain/spasm/siatictic nerveeee
  • mountainman

Did short run with dog thurs on stony ground,downhill prob 1/2 mile.knees killed after.

Friday whilst traveling back to uk for work twisted as picked up my rucksack, sligt twinge, couple ibuprofen, seemed ok till sunday and pains down back of thigh .

This morning didn’t feel stiff ,quite ok ,bent down to pick up towel dropped on floor and BANG back went into spasm ,painfull big time ,went to docs ,diazepan and antinflamatorys ,pain killers.

Seeing my oesteo (overdue) apt, as previous old injury in neck seizes up causeing back probs (result of over bars experience years ago ), got a cancelation, any advice on getting back on bike time ,obviously will ask oesteo but experiences shared must appreciated.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I suffered with bouts of excruciating sciatica for a while. I found piriformis stretching exercises really helped. Checked with my doc and she said massaging the spasmed muscle and the exercises (I’d already been doing) were good. In fact, I haven’t had a twinge for god knows how long now.

glupton1976
    Free Member

just get back on it now. Be fine.

VanHalen

I had a pinched sciatic nerve in Jan. Don’t piss about with lots of painkillers go to a chiropractor. I went 3 times a week for 4 weeks. Got me moving. Once the muscles calm down you can do leg and bum stretches. But don’t do them while back is still in spasm as it really doesn’t help. About 2 weeks ago it stopped hurting. Now getting pro advice regarding core stability and the right exercises to do to counteract a 100% biking exercise routine. With the painkillers you have no one will able to work out what the problem is as you will be higher than god. I’d defo recommend going to a place that takes x rays to see the state of your spine.

Oh ice pack on bone joints. Hot water bottle on muscles. Alternate 5 mins each.

glupton1976
    Free Member

“I went 3 times a week for 4 weeks” Power of placebo is wonderful isnt it….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

In the same boat right now – feels like i have a tear somewhere in the glutes. Cannot run and walking hurts. But riding is fine on the bike, but agony once I get off. Feeling miserable as a result.

Trying ice, anti-inflamm, massage with tennis ball etc…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

“I went 3 times a week for 4 weeks” Power of placebo is wonderful isnt it….

Are you saying that there is no evidence for the efficacy of chiropractic fo treating skeletal misalignment and similar complaints?

mountainman

So chiropractor or oestoepath ,which is better or much same, been with same oesteo for last 4 years ,but will have to find an alternative in Eire now as hopefully last planned visit to uk as now got work lined up over in land of GUINNES.

Plus i am going to invest in a replacement back to my favourite saddle of old a brooks b17 leather,once broke in ,heaven on the bum bones,wish i never left my old one on old tourer i sold years ago .

andrewni
    Free Member

Had a bad bout of sciatica which started in November, was really bad nov, dec, jan when I was just getting by on copious quantities or painkillers/diazepam etc. then got to a physio who showed me how poor my core muscles were and how tight my hamstrings are/were. Got some basic exercises and built up slowly and have had no drugs for the last 3 weeks. Core strength is coming on quite quickly, loosening the hamstring seems to be a much slower process but overall the pain has almost disappeared.
    On the plus side I found the only time I wasn’t sore was whilst on my bike so I kept cycling the whole way through

VanHalen

“I went 3 times a week for 4 weeks” Power of placebo is wonderful isnt it…

You have to do something. What do you suggest? My spine was s shaped sideways and over bent so the disc was pinched at the rear at the base of my spine. I could have taken lots of drugs but what would that have achieved? In fact I did take lots of drugs for a week and it got progressivly worse until I could no longer walk. Then I went to chiro

mountainman

Whilst i’ve had more time in Eire between job hunting ,been doing mix of road and off road work ,have noticed hamstrngs tight ,so will persue that theory core strength .

stretching exercises ,whats best ?

Aus
    Free Member

Similar experience; found this helped http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3SPZXqNv_g

And out of interest, has anyone who’s experienced this, found moving to full sus helped?

JohnnyPanic

Not if you fall off it! 🙂

3rd week of Feb I had a bad tumble skiing. A week later & I came of the bike at Antur Stiniog. Both tmes I dusted myself down and carried on without problems.

A couple of days later I was bent over like Quasimodo with what felt like a pulled muscle in the small of my back. Over the next 3 weeks or so it gradually improved until a couple of weeks ago when I started getting a sharp pain down my leg when straightening up. Went to the physio – got some stretching exercises etc.

6 days later I noticed that the front of my L calf was quite numb. Still some sensation though. The next day, coming down stairs noticed that I had lost a lot of power from my L thigh and the leg wanted to collapse under me. I have to be careful walking round now lest it gives way… Which it’s done 3 times today.

Doctors have signed me off for a month and are arranging an MRI scan. Still seeing the physio. My back muscles on the LH side are / were very tight and I have a slight tilt to the L when standing so he’s given me some specific stretching exercises. Consensus is a disk pressuring the nerve at around L3/L4 (references the numb shin).

As to the OP’s question – see what your osteo says. If you have anything pressuring a nerve do you want to risk a fall?

Helios
    Free Member

As to the OP’s question – see what your osteo says.

He will say “You need to come back and see me for several more sessions…”

mountainman

Update.

Had a good nights sleep prob due to good ole diazepam ,stiff to start the day ,but improved with moving around.
    Just got back from oesteo and she said L 2&3 usual prob area, worked on those and my neck with a few tweaks and much better articulation and movement now.
    So prob a bit sore tonight but take steady was advice then work on core strength.

Some of it I put down to stress too ,selling n buying house ,living with inlaws in between and job searching too.
    But also had good news on 12-14 weeks work starting Monday which is the foot in the door I needed .

Thanks for advice folks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lower back pain/spasm/siatictic nerveeee’ is closed to new replies.