Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Low carb diet – a question about weight loss.
  • alexathome
    Free Member

last year i cut out bread, pasta etc, as i found that i was getting uncomfortably bloated in the afternoon and it worked, so i kept it up. I have been pretty good since, eating a diet very similar to that of idaves, not to loose weight, but as it was a working for me in making me feel better. I was training at the time for a Marathon, running more each week. I pulled out of the marathon because of knee injury.

My weight did not drop that much whilst on the new ‘diet’ remaining between 12st 3lbs and 12st 7lbs.

Now, that was a year ago, since then i have kept to the diet, but in recent months my weight has fallen to just below 11 st, loosing about 1lbs a week or more. I have kept to eating the exact same meals/size and have not upped my exercise in terms of duration or intensity. I ride more now, and run less, but am not running 14km from work twice a week anymore but doing a 100km ride every other sunday and spin a couple of times a week when the weathers bad. Basically i don’t think that i am training as hard as I was a year ago.

Why the sudden weight loss of late? My wife wants to send me to the doctors as i look a bit skinny although apparently my BMI is spot on. Is there any obvious reason that could make you loose weight all of a sudden keeping to the same diet/exercise regime? My amount of body fat has fallen, but i seem to of kept muscle mass generally. Is it maybe changing from running to cycling more?

Cheers in advance.

BoardinBob

Aids?

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m going to say Aids.

wwaswas

Go to the Dr’s it will reassure your wife and also give the Dr a chance to assess you.

I wouldn’t use bmi as an assesment of ‘health’ really body fat percentage is better.

losign a 1lb a week does sound like you’re burnign more calories now than you were before, tbh, and need to up the calorie intake a bit to offset it.

alexathome
    Free Member

A 5000 a week cal deficit prob isn’t feasible given that i’m a slacker, weight loss does seem a bit disproportionate to exercise. AIDS it is then 😀 Bugger!

iDave
    Free Member

i’m not a fan of low-carb diets – are you eating any carbs?

your body may be eating itself from the inside, you may be hollow now.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Tapeworm 😀
    Maybe building muscle from riding the bike more therefore your body’s requiring more calories because of it’s higher muscle mass ? .

emsz
    Free Member

😀

wwaswas

Tapeworm

Not the usual ‘eating for two’, then 😉

alexathome
    Free Member

Sorry iDave, not strictly low carb. i eat lots of bean based foods, chickpeas etc. I also eat porridge oats on a day when i’m exercising. I just cut out any processed floury type foods. Might be a tapewrorm, if so has it now got AIDS too?

alexathome
    Free Member

Weighed myself again this morning PP (pre-poo) and i’d lost another pound in the last 2 days. I don’t feel ill or tierd and now in my work clothes I look like Tom Hanks in Big when he shrinks. I have not been this weight since i was 14 (i’m 37 now).

Should i just start eating cake?

iDave
    Free Member

Have this discussion with your doctor. Could be nothing, could be tapeworm aids, could be lots of stuff. Have you lost muscle bulk or just become very lean?

alexathome
    Free Member

Lean (i’d say) Skinny my wife would say. I seem to have just as much muscle, as in i’m just as strong and output on bike etc has not suffered. But weight is just falling off of late given that exercise and diet have been a constant over last 18 months to 2 years. Maybe it’s stress or the prescription medicines that i’m taking for pain etc. I will ask my doctor when i next see him (it’s not free in NZ, so wait until i’m mostly dead to get real value for money). Had a load of blood tests earlier in the year so doubt the AIDS has kicked in since. 😀

fourbanger
    Free Member

My dad lost some weight a few years ago. Fit active lifestyle, but started getting tired. He put it down to old age. Luckily we had an American friend visit who was an ER nurse, so obviously clued up medically. She insisted he see a doctor ASAP. He was diagnosed with bowel cancer. He was operated on and went through chemo and as of 4 years later, there are no serious side effects.
    Now, I’m not saying you have anything wrong and I’m not trying to be alarmist. But, I am saying that men are generally very bad at going to see the doctor.
    If you’re losing weight and nothing you do has changed, go this week and see a doctor and get checked out.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Go to the **** doctors

wwaswas

I think maybe people are beign a bit subtle for you here;

wait until i’m mostly dead to get real value for money

You don’t want this statement to turn out to be literally true, do you?

If I was losing weight at the rate you are I wouldn’t be eating a bit more cake I’d be getting a diagnosis.

judderman
    Free Member

get off your pc & go to the doctors, it might just save your life!

Woody
    Free Member

You’re looking at around 10% weight loss for no apparent reason. Could be several factors coming into play but you say “I have kept to eating the exact same meals/size“, which apart from anything else sounds extremely boring.

Have you tried varying your diet to see what happens and are you really eating what you say, as you sound rather chuffed with your current ‘leanness’?

Regardless, you need to have a chat with your GP.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think you just need to eat better. Make sure you stick to the pyramid.

p.s go to your GP, numbnuts.

alexathome
    Free Member

it’s closed now, being almost 7PM here. Turns out that i have a hospital appointment on Monday (came in the post when i got back from work). The doc i’m seeing has been seeing me for a year about a heart/lung thing so see’s me every couple of months. They ran all kinds of tests last time: bloods, thyroid things, lung function and even a VO2 max oddly. I will ask him, he’s quite switched on.

To put it in perspective i have lost a stone and a half in 6 – 8 weeks. I weigh just under 11 stone now, but i am 5’11” so it’s not like i’m painfully thin, it’s just the speed and seemingly inexplicable cause that concerns me. Yes, i will see doc, Monday!

I just ate half a loaf of rosemary bread! 😀

alexathome
    Free Member

as you sound rather chuffed with your current ‘leanness’?

Yup, it was much better than my fatness! But i had a good reason for that, i was scoffing a lot! I would probably say ‘scrawny’ is a better description if i were to be honest. I’m not saying that it’s terrible, i’m sure that i would embrace it if it was what i was aiming for, i was happy with doing my riding, training for what not and eating what ever it was that i ate, boring thou it might be to others. But i carried on that way for 18months without changing more than a pound in weight, then it’s all gone odd in the last few months, maybe stress? would that do it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

i have lost a stone and a half in 6 – 8 weeks…………. it’s just the speed

thats your answer then – cut out the whizz.

Serious answer – as the others have said – needs to be checked out

Woody
    Free Member

That is a considerable weight loss in a short time for someone who is not carrying much weight in the first place. Stress could certainly do it, and something which presumably you’ve been experiencing before you mentioned it.

Good luck with the doc on Monday.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Good luck with the doc on Monday.

+1 fingers, toes and nuts crossed its not tapeworm AIDs dude.

globalti
    Free Member

I have exactly the same concern. I’m 55, I’m 6′ and normally weigh 72 kgs but have lost 2 kgs in the last month. TBH I put it down to being fitter than at the beginning of the summer, riding faster and further and keeping my meals small as well as almost completely cutting out carbs. I have also been doing a bit of DIY through the summer. The logical consequence of this can only be weight loss. I expect to put on weight as we go into winter and my level of activity diminishes.

How old are you? As you age your testosterone levels will drop and you will lose muscle bulk – I began to notice this at around 45.

By the way, I started on the low carb/high protein diet in February as I was quite podgy after Christmas and for a month I had this strange fatty buttery taste in my mouth. I Googled this and discovered that it is the body’s reaction to consuming stored fat.

alexathome
    Free Member

mmmmmm butter. I am a little weaker. I went to the gym tonight, as my member runs out in 2 weeks(realised that at 10 squid a pop it wasn’t worth it (i never went)) It was to be expected i guess, not having lifted any weights for a while. Saying this i had never buffed up, but had always been able to lift a certain amount, since a young age, which is now a little less, so obviously a bit weaker. (cycling legs reasonable thou).

In answer to the above i’m 37. Hopefully not old enough to loose too much hormone level. But stress does cause hormonal changes no?

I’ve got a lot of work stress etc lately, having decided that i don’t like working for people other than myself, and resigning. Instrumental in my resignation is that i have a bad back (herniated disc) and had 2 lots of steroids injected into it and i’ve been on painkillers and sleeping pills because of the discomfort for a while. I’ve a physical job and i just can’t do it without pain 24/7.

I’m guessing that the above might be the likely cause. My original question probably is based in my denial that at some point during a healthy diet and exercise that your body just decides that now some for equilibrium has been maintained for some time it’ll bin all the fat – not that it knows that you just arn’t crash dieting.

from your responses i’m guessing that i was just hoping that this was the case, when in fact it’s a stress out AIDS tapeworm thing, arrghhh crap.

staralfur
    Free Member

Get more animal fat into you, get the calories up.

thomthumb
    Free Member

go to the doctor.

my uncle recently started losing a lot of weight (not over weight to start with) lost around 10kg in 8 weeks. Diagnosed with t1 diabetes.

get to the doctor.

alexathome
    Free Member

My dad has diabetes, not sure which type thou, i don’t speak to him. He is very thin thou, so prob type 1. I think i was checked for that a few years back thou. I AM GOING TO THE DOCTOR DAMIT! as i said, i was hoping that sudden weight loss after 18months to a year of no bread/pasta, cake etc (a la iDave’s diet thing) was the norm. obviously not. Norm is probably a diabetic stressed AIDS tapeworm that needs to eat more food that makes paper see through.

EDIT: just found out that if you haven’t got it (then) then you would not be diagnosed Time to get that checked i suppose, although other than weight loss i don’t fit the bill for that. Still better safe than sorry.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Low carb diet – a question about weight loss.’ is closed to new replies.