Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Loving your new chain….
  • panzerjager
    Free Member

Hi All,
    Just about to build up a new bike & have a brand new drivetrain to install.
    I'm interested to know what you recommend for longevity, ie. do you remove the grease from a brand new chain & if so what with?
    How often should I replace the chain, what lubes do you swear by, etc.
    All tips gratefully received.

LeeW

It'll take a while but remove the grease. I've used petrol in the past, but you can use any bike degreaser or disc brake cleaner.

You can get a chainwear device for measuring the chain wear, replace it when the 'NOGO' portion fits between the links. Be aware you may need to replace your cassette too.

Pierre

pfft. If your chain comes with a grease that's been thoroughly installed by the manufacturer, I see no reason to remove it. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html …and Sheldon Brown agrees. Efficiency is an irrelevant consideration in this instance. Lube the chain as best you can, clean it regularly (GT85, rag to wipe out the dirt, green lube then another rag to take off the excess), keep the crap out.

The Park Tool drop-in (stamped steel) chain checker is still one of the best and most reliable chain stretch tools I've come across. Simple, just drop it in and see the result.
    http://parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CC-3

Most manufacturers recommend replacing the chain at around 0.75% stretch – at this point you can usually replace the chain without having to replace the cassette, at least the first or just about second time. By the time you get to 1% stretch it's usually wise to replace the cassette at the same time because of chain "stretch" (see the Sheldon Brown article).

In other words, if you're careful about monitoring your chain wear and replacing your chain regularly, you can usually get through a couple of chains per cassette.

It's the sort of thing it's worth finding out about and keeping an eye on. Or finding out about and deciding that it's too much bother, and replacing your drivetrain altogether when it's all worn out.

HTH!

: P

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alexpalacefan

+1 to monitoring chain wear, but I would deffo get the greasey crap that they come with off. That stuff is designed to preserve the chain in the warehouse, it's much to sticky for use, and attracts all sorts of trail gunge that just acts as a grinding paste on the drivetrain.

APF

spooky_b329

I just remove the worst of the sticky grease with a rag/gt85 as all the dirt will stick to it. I would never soak it in petrol or anything as there is no point stripping the grease from the inside of the chain.

LeeW

You're right Pierre, Sheldon rekons not to remove it, if you don't ride in wet or dusty conditions, kind of rules mountain biking out really, if the trails aren't wet they're dusty and vice versa.

If you leave the grease on it'll get clagged up in no time as APF said, even if the grease is on the inside.

rOcKeTdOg

blimey i'd rather just fit it and go riding, lube it when it starts to squeak than worry about "warehouse grease"

Macavity
    Free Member

Scottoiler?

tinsy
    Free Member

In future when I build up a new bike first thing I would do is dissasemble the BB and get some decent grease into it..

D0NK

Wipe the excess grease from the chain with a cloth to prevent it picking up dirt but leave the rest on as Sheldon says thats the best stuff you'll get on there.

I use finish line green most of the time, tried FL krytech which is OK but now using squirt for dry conditions.

Get a chain checker, they're only £5-£10.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Loving your new chain….’ is closed to new replies.