Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Lost skills
  • Cougar

In the 21st Century a lot of traditional skills are becoming scarce. Dry stone wallers, wheelwrights, coopers, fletchers, pattern makers, turners.

My little contribution to stemming this tide is minor. But I humbly present to you, the sacred art of chip-making.

What’ve you got?

rOcKeTdOg

High cholesterol?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I can wire a plug- got to be a dying art – they’re all sealed these days aren’t they?

porter_jamie

I can turn big lumps of metal into smaller ones and swarf

slowoldman

I can use a map and compass.

CountZero

Mmmmm, chips. Is hungry.

steveoath
    Free Member

I’m making my own organix parsnip crisps at the moment. A dying art.

JohnJohn
    Free Member

I’m making my own dehydrated apple rings – a drying art 😀

IGMC!

TheBrick
    Free Member

porter_jamie – Member
    I can turn big lumps of metal into smaller ones and swarf

I can do the swarf bit in metal and sawdust in wood! I think its what is called being multi trade.

midlifecrashes

Firstborn(17) asked me this evening how people managed to deal with public transport before we had the internet, I introduced her to paper timetables and a look of befuddlement.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I can move a couple tons of pulses/oats/seeds off pallets and hulf it up a couple flights of stairs

We have a lot of one-week-school-leavers not managing manual labour very well.

A hard working attitude is completely lost on this current lot.

“Sorry , you want me to WORK? Naw”.

richmars

I worked on a farm one summer, and I could reverse a trailer to mm precision.
    Now, whenever I hire a trailer, I am absolutely useless if I have to go backwards.

edlong
    Free Member

Indicating at junctions and roundabouts.

stumpy01

Used to play violin & recorder, the moved onto clarinet, bass clarinet & tenor sax.
    Played at a decent level in a jazz band, we won a national competition, then went to uni and gave up. Hmmmm. Kinda the opposite of your OP, really.
    Got the tenor sax and clarinet out a few weeks ago to show my nephews and could just about play them, but forgotten a lot of what I knew; even fairly simple music. Rubbish, really.

Just don’t have the time. Current things I don’t have time for are: photography, learning woodworking, learning wheel building, riding enough to get fit, getting all the decorating done. Hmmmm.

househusband
    Free Member

In the 21st Century a lot of traditional skills are becoming scarce. Dry stone wallers, wheelwrights, coopers, fletchers, pattern makers, turners.

Sadly, I agree.

Since moving to my current location I have found that within a few miles of our new home are one of Scotland’s last (if not the last) wheelwrights and a luthier.

3d printers and rapid prototyping just doesn’t excite me in the same way that something made well by hand does.

Cougar

I had to Google “luthier”. That too.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Meeting women that arent sourced on the internets?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Used to play violin & recorder, the moved onto clarinet, bass clarinet & tenor sax.

I play the triangle in a local reggae band. I just stand and the back and ting.

yunki
    Free Member

I kind of apprenticed as a sign writer of sorts I suppose during my childhood years..

I left school just at the onset of vinyl graphics and computers 😐

jota180
    Free Member

I can fix TVs, change car tyres at the side of the road and syphon petrol without getting a mouthful 🙂

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

them chips look lovely

ajantom

I can turn a mean newel post. Also hand cut dovetails….mmmm, lovely 😀
    And I play the Bassoon. Grade 8, I shit you not.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

+1 😀 for flasheart joke

leffeboy

just fixing things. More and more folks I know are just lost if something breaks and stuff just gets thrown out now rather than looking for inventive ways of keeping it going 🙁 – feels old

on the positive side though I love making pizza by hand and it is an acquired skill as it gets better each time you do it

bob_summers

Navigating with map and compass.

RustySpanner

Polishing shoes.
    Shaving.
    Manners.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Two out of three ain’t bad, Rusty! 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m pretty good at hedge laying. Then there’s the framebuilding, but that’s become all popular and hipster again recently.

RustySpanner

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Two out of three ain’t bad aint bad, Rusty!

I knew I was right, everybody loves Meatloaf.
    🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Respect Cougar I thought I was the only person left in the North with a real actual chip pan

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Writing with fountain pens …. filled from an ink bottle

chewkw
    Free Member

I am good at identifying bureaucratic ZMs.

However, I have lost all my skills in dealing with them here in the UK because these lot are in the advance stage of infection. Very difficult to deal with them … they will slowly grind you down bits by bits …

😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/iyAPkt]Procuttio[/url] by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/eT62Fi]Sunday morning[/url] by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr
    Meat products without a supermarket

fasthaggis

Axe throwing,I am rather good.
    Come the ZM Apocalypse it will be me and chewkw against the world 😉

aracer
    Free Member

My contribution was going to be fixing things rather than throwing them away, but I see that’s already been done (so maybe it’s not dying out all that fast 😉 )

So I’ll add walking to school.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s easy to get all nostalgic about stuff we don’t need to do any more. But what about all the new skills we’re learning instead?

Cougar

Respect Cougar I thought I was the only person left in the North with a real actual chip pan

It was a swine of a thing to find when I needed a replacement too, and that was years ago.

what about all the new skills we’re learning instead?

What about them? Get your own bloody thread. (-:

RustySpanner

Pushing into queues?
    Not being able to tie your shoelaces?
    Looking at your phone whilst supposedly engaged in a conversation?
    Persuading the shopkeeper you’re not just trying it on for size before buying it online?
    Ignoring the rules of grammar?
    Being entirely ignorant of anything that happened before you were born?

It surely is a golden age, Moly………
    🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Polishing shoes
    Tucking in your shirt
    Making a decent brew
    Being on time

TiRed

Darning; a lost word for a lost skill.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Lost skills’ is closed to new replies.