Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • lost my fitness mojo _ any help
  • grueller
    Free Member

Maybe it's my age (41), but I've recently lost all motivation to get out and do anything, beyond 5 a side football.
    Got a new road bike at the beginning of the year and beyond a lunchtime blat I've not used it much and I haven't really used my MTB. I used to go running but can't force myself out the door and if I do can only last 3 miles. The motivation just isn't there. I've got mates locally but none that bike to any degree. I used to enter races (short, 24hrs, etc) and then not enjoy them because I couldn't do as well as I wanted. I feel if I let this continue I'll be the fat old man that I despise. Bit early for a mid-life crisis and I can't afford to buy my way out of lethargy by getting new stuff as an excuse.

Anyone been in the same boat?
    Do I need a trainer, a focus or just a kick up the arse?

racefaceec90

i know what you mean grueller.my fitness has gone as well as my motivation.will be interested in what advice people give i.e mtfu e.t.c.

Riofer
    Free Member

I've found that trying something new is a good way to get your motivation back. Last year I swam a lot (hadn't done it for years). This year I've being going to do circuit training at a boxing gym. Once I get into something new I find my motivation for riding and everything else increases as I start to feel fitter.

Ohh nearly forgot MTFU

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you only biked to stop yourself getting fat no wonder. It's supposed to be intrinsically enjoyable, not a means to an end! Find some activity you really like instead 🙂

MikeWW
    Free Member

Guess we are all a bit different and what once for someone doesn't always work for someone else.
    I set some goals that I have a chance of achieving if I work hard and then arrange things accordingly.
    Goals will be around sociable riding/MTB trips away/MTB races and more recently I want to do some road races in 2010. I keep a log of what I've done and try to ride with other people as much as possible(not only more fun but a good gauge of how things are progressing)A bit older than you but works for me

Keva
    Free Member

not age at all, Im 40 and still ride, run, train four times a week plus cycle to work everyday. I do it 'cause I love it… and the added bonus that im fit healthy and young for my age. Im doing much more running now than I have for a long time and am thoroughly enjoying the events side of things.

As above, try something new for a bit… swimming, circuit training ?

BMF is good… these guys will get you motivated… I did it throughout 2006… great fun. Lots of short sprints, press ups, sit ups and circuit training type stuff all combined into relay games, fun competition, motivation & humour.

British Military Fitness

Kev

grueller
    Free Member

I used to like riding my bike, it wasn't a means to an end, just a laugh. Being fitter was a bonus. I do karate with my son, but that's a struggle as well. It's only setting him an example that gets me out. I did swimming late last year and the early part of this year, but have twatted my shoulder up so it hurts to do some strokes. Will I get it looked at? Probably not. It's the general attitude to any physical effort. The football thing is more of a social thing with running.

I suppose I'm seeking the age-old answer that is different for everyone. Will I MTFU? Maybe
    Suggest events next year that could give me a target? Solo mayhem?

stratobiker
    Free Member

grueller – It's obvious! Join the LVRC and do some vet road races. They really are great. I used to do loads of them. I recommend them to you.

SB

finbar
    Free Member

I hear gardening is quite good for elderly people who want to remain mobile.

grueller
    Free Member

Gardening! I'd rather drill nails down my japs eye.
    It's the motivation. Maybe I must look within in a grasshopper style.

Wax on. wax off

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘lost my fitness mojo _ any help’ is closed to new replies.