Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Loose Shimano XT hubs HELP
  • zestybeard

Have owned many wheels. And have always gone down the sealed hub route, like hope pro 2’s. I have just bought a 2nd hand bike which has a Shimano XT Rear Hub FH-M775 http://www.bikeinn.com/bike/shimano-xt-mtb-rear-hub-fh-m775/7894/p.

and a Shimano XT Disc Hub Front 20mm M776 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=20802.

I’m good at servicing stuff but have no idea where to get spares bearings for these. As they both use angular contact bearings. Has anyone serviced and found parts for these? Cheers muchly for any help.

fatboyjon

Plain and simple ball bearings available from any bike shop.

lesoxdh
    Free Member

3/16 loose ball bearings

i have the same rear hub. got the bearing of ebay for less then £2

TuckerUK
    Free Member

You want a decent quality ball bearing: Grade 100 at the very least, more like Grade 50 for Shimano XT. Try SJS Cyles online. Be very wary of ungraded generic ball bearings.

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

1/4″ for the rear

Edit: scratch that, it is 3/16″, as the wiser man said 🙂

BlobOnAStick

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but…….are you familiar with adjusting cup and cone bearings?

Obviously if they’re tarnished/rusty then new ones are needed, but just because there is play doesn’t mean they need replacing.

zestybeard

Thanks for all the help. I’m just guessing that they need replacing. Although this is because there is play in the wheels. But on a slight examination the wheels when off of the bike, the axles spin but seem to be tightish, as if they are done up to compensate the play. If that makes any sense. Have yet to go at them. I just figured when I do I’d replace the bearings at the same time.

lesoxdh
    Free Member

Also you will need a 17mm cone spanner. Forgot to mention.

ahwiles
    Free Member

um, you sure about that?

nuke

Yep, certainly need a 17mm for the rear. Not sure about the front given its a 20mm. 14mm allen key to remove the freehub…did a WTD on this forum and someone sent me one for free which was nice.

My rear XT M775 hub was shot although the concave surface on the non-driveside was still okay so I just bought a whole new hub on the cheap and swapped the whole lot over aside the main body obviously…the replacement freehubs go for £32.99 and that’s pretty much what I paid for the whole hub. Plus I got a nice XT QR skewer with it which was a bonus.

zestybeard

Lord this bike needs some big hex keys. 15mm to get the cranks off. 14mm to remove the freehub. Blimey. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Will have a crack at taking it apart this weekend and see what’s up. Hoping new bearings and a bit of grease will make them sing again. But at least I now have some tips if things get nasty. Cheers muchly all.

amt27
    Free Member

I had play in a rear M775 wheels, which was the freehub bolt coming loose (tip, I used a hex bolt to tighten instead of buying a massivo allen key)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Loose Shimano XT hubs HELP’ is closed to new replies.