Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 265 total)
  • Looks like Greece are sticking two fingers up to the euro bullies!!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Fairplay to them hope they hold their nerve!

chewkw
    Free Member

Excellent!

Well done to the Greek to live they way they like.

It’s better to be poor and free then to live beyond their means to owe debts for generations to come.

:mrgreen:

postierich
    Free Member

Might even consider going on holiday there this year!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Might be new bike time next week… 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Let the dust settle then things will go back to normal without EURO.

mooman
    Free Member

Good for the Greeks. The threats and scaremongering doesn`t seem to have worked. A good day for democracy.

mashiehood
    Free Member

so, a country heavily in debt which dosent want to pay it back, has a poor taxation system and a lot of ‘fakelaki’ about to vote it self out of the Eurozone.
    yeah, great news for the ordinary greek, well done, good on you, go out and get wasted because hey, tomo is a new day!

postierich
    Free Member

the fight back starts in Greece 🙂
    better to die standing on ones two feet rather on ya knees!

andytherocketeer

looking forward to merkel putting that €29bn bailout aid that greece proposed to a referendum

cya greece!

funny that everyone is saying it’s the greek indivuduals that are paying the price for their government and EU government failures. expect a big back lash in germany, remembering that it’s German taxpayer that funded several €bn, not merkel and co.

I’m sure germany and UK will chip in a few bob for african style 3rd world aid instead.

bruneep

Might even consider going on holiday there this year!

Here just now. Having a great time

DrJ

expect a big back lash in germany, remembering that it’s German taxpayer that funded several €bn, not merkel and co.

Except, of course, it isn’t. Anyway, not the time for sniping – I’m very happy for my Greek family and friends who faced the financial stormtroopers and said OXI !!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Here just now. Having a great time

Have one for me!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anyway, not the time for sniping – I’m very happy for my Greek family and friends who faced the financial stormtroopers and said OXI !!

Let’s hope that it works out well for them.
    The worst case scenarios sound pretty horrendous.
    Fingers crossed those scenarios are scaremongering.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

As opposed to a continuation of the last five years of austerity policies which has left Greece in this state?

Markie
    Free Member

I hope this works out well for Greece, but also hope that the EU hold firm, that their final offer is the final offer they make.

IanMunro
    Free Member

As opposed to a continuation of the last five years of austerity policies which has left Greece in this state?

Yup. Now they now have the option of jumping out of the frying pan.

Murray

@mashiehood even the IMF stated that more debt relief was needed.

This is really about the German and French governments moving their banks bad debts to the European Central Bank so the whole Eurozone covers them and pretending that they’ll get them back one day. Sad all round and I expect German voters will continue to be told it’s all the lazy Greeks fault rather than also the stupid German banks who lent money to someone who couldn’t repay it. It’s the subprime scandal without the layers of indirection that provided an excuse for US regulators.

A sad time for Greece whichever way the vote goes.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

a great day for all oppresed people –sure its not going to get rosy but at least they have stood firm again against aggresive loan sharks ,and give succour to other movements that oppose so called austerity …..

seosamh77
    Free Member

cheers iolo

brooess
    Free Member

Interesting reading the comments on ft.com about who’ll pay for the humanitarian aid if the greeks refuse the bailout, the banks then run out of money and then so do the people who won’t be able to feed themselves. I don’t think our personal ideologies about freedom really help things much… it could lead to pretty serious and real consequences…

thehustler
    Free Member

how things used to be…..

thejesmonddingo

Perhaps then we’ll find out who will offer real humanitarian aid?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What brooess said.

Trying to describe this as bullies etc is laughable.

aracer
    Free Member

Remind me again who it is who’s done very well out of having a single currency block?

footflaps

Voting No was the easy bit, they now have to live with the consequences which aren’t going to be pretty.

Their whole banking system is just about out of cash and without Europe pumping in more emergency liquidity they’re facing serious social breakdown. Having just told the hand that feeds them to F off, I don’t expect liquidity to be forthcoming.

flanagaj
    Free Member

expect a big back lash in germany, remembering that it’s German taxpayer that funded several €bn

What is perverse here, is that Germany may have funded Greece many euros, but a lot of that money flowed back into the German economy to purchase infrastructure related items.

The euro is hosed. Unless you have a unified fiscal policy across all member states it will never work

footflaps

The euro Greece is hosed.

I think the Euro will survive fine for the medium term. Greece on the other hand….

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The IMF have stated that the repayments were unsustainable, that they would leave the country in ruin/low growth for decades, IMO the Greeks had every right to tell Germany to do one. Germany isn’t keen to see a competitive Greece, they would rather punish them and keep them in their place, to prop up their own export market. We were never in this together, I have found myself swinging from being staunchly pro European to somewhat of a skeptic due to the behavior of France and Germany the past few weeks.

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting – ISTR JY also saying that ernie had almost persuaded him to change his mind on Europe. I used to be very much a sceptic, but had thought I would probably vote to stay in the EU – recent activities have made me wonder about that again. I wonder how much affect this will all have on our EU referendum (if I’m not being overly optimistic about how much attention the average man in the street is paying).

mrmoofo

The Euro is screwed – if it is not the Greeks , it is Spain, or Portugal, or maybe Italy, or France …
    Everyone has been cheating ….
    No-body has really committed to the game – it was doomed from the start …

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What is perverse here, is that Germany may have funded Greece many euros, but a lot of that money flowed back into the German economy to purchase infrastructure related items.

Perverse? That was the objective from the start.

footflaps

Great literary analogy by Larry Elliot in The Guardian

So, this story is not over. In Homer’s epic tale, it took Odysseus 10 years to return to his Ithaca home from the Trojan war, losing all his men along the way. Greece’s modern odyssey, similarly, is only half over. The next chapter begins on Monday.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jul/05/greece-referendum-vote-edges-towards-euro-exit

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Perverse? That was the objective from the start.

No better than a giant awful mix of a pyramid scheme and a ponzi scheme.

Germany as usual, have raped Europe. They can’t help themselves can they?

I find myself wanting to spit whenever I hear Merkels name.

chewkw
    Free Member

mrmoofo – Member

The Euro is screwed – if it is not the Greeks , it is Spain, or Portugal, or maybe Italy, or France …
    Everyone has been cheating ….
    No-body has really committed to the game – it was doomed from the start …

Indeed, I agree. 😀

footflaps

One of the main problems was 3rd rate countries borrowing huge sums at top table rates, which is how Greece got into this mess in the first place. Given that’s unlikely to happen again, I think the Euro will be more stable once Greece has finally left it. I’d wager the Euro will be here for a good few decades yet.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Germany as usual, have raped Europe. They can’t help themselves can they?

Yeah right, lets not forget 1939-45 eh ?

gordimhor

Trying to describe this as bullies etc is laughable

Go on then Al I could do with a laugh

Northwind

Tom_W1987 – Member

I have found myself swinging from being staunchly pro European to somewhat of a skeptic due to the behavior of France and Germany the past few weeks.

I’m extremely pro-european, but I’ve often said “Pro-europe, not pro this europe”. Usually I’ve felt we’re better with it than without it and hoped for change over time but the only changes seem to be for the worse. I dunno. They’ve got time still to do the right thing, nobody seems to have the slightest interest in doing so though

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 265 total)

The topic ‘Looks like Greece are sticking two fingers up to the euro bullies!!’ is closed to new replies.