Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Looking to swap to a full sus frame from hardtail (100mm & 26") – Suggestions?
  • dsb181
    Free Member

Hi all!
    Once again turning to the STW oracle for advice regarding a bicycle decision.
    I’ve ridden my hardtail for almost 3 years now, it was the first nice bike I’ve owned. Since getting into road cycling 😯 and now having finished my cross bike build it’s not getting much of a look in so feel it’s time for a change.
    Finding most of the things I was riding on it I can now ride on my cross bike I’m looking for something more fun that can be thrown about. The friend that I ride with most rides a full sus and I always found that my hardtail was a bit limiting riding with him, some of that was down to my skills though and that the bike is a frack too large for me.
    The bike in question is a 2012 Cube LTD, 100mm fork and 26″ wheels.
    Ideally I’d like to just swap the frame over and keep all components the same but I’m clueless when it comes to what to look for!

Any frame suggestions?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

for keeping the 100mm forks you are really looking at something like a turner flux, giant anthem, sc superlight or similar frame maybe. Check your current steerer is long enough for one of those frames in your size, as that may rule some of them out.

They will all be a bit more on the XC side of things, but still pretty capable.

z1ppy

I’d suggest demo’ing as many bike as possible to see what you like and dislike.. Yes that same old advise, trotted out constantly.

BUT.. we don’t know what you like. I like single pivot suspension, and even though I know 4 bar is way more efficient, it just feels mushy to me & I hate it. Slack angle or XC steepness, I’d never suggest a XC bike to my m8’s, but one went out and bought one and loves it.. The “demo day” season starts March-ish, this give you time to see what you think you’d like, the ground will dry up (hopefully) making a test ride more worthwhile (what the point in slogging around in the mud trying to find the feel of the bike) & give you the opportunity to test bikes you might not have considered or have written off. I test rode on bike last year, to see how good the other bikes on my “potential purchase” list were in comparison.. I came away wanting the supposedly rubbish bike..

Unless of course your talking 2nd hand, which is another barrel of fish. Which re-reading your post, is probably where your heading. I think you need to dump the 100mm forks, something like the SC Superlight/Giant Trance or even the Grapil really need 120mm to make it “fun”, unless they can have your fokrs travel adjusted upwards.

dsb181
    Free Member

TurnerGuy thanks, I want to keep it as simple as possible to change but agree that the 100mm forks are the limiting factor so might look at a frame and fork swap to get the bike I’d like to ride. I’d looked at the Anthems before but not the others.

Z1ppy I think I’d be hard pushed to demo a full sus 26″ these days, could be wrong though. I’m just looking to pick up a used frame and whack the components over in all honesty, I’d love to try lots of different ones but the reality is different I think as I’m quite limited by the wheels and fork travel as to what is available to me.

z1ppy

yeah sorry realised afterwards, edit it to reflect that.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Can you extend the travel on your forks? I’ve read that certain 100mm Rockshox can be extended to 120mm by the removal of a internal spacer.
    If the forks are limiting your choice of frame check if you can extend their travel.

dsb181
    Free Member

No clue as to if I can extend the forks, sounds scary 😯

They are Rebas

HansRey

older marin quad xc frames are pretty good value second hand. I dont think you’ll have much luck swapping your hardtail though

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Looking to swap to a full sus frame from hardtail (100mm & 26") – Suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.