Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • looking (more) like a cock by adding a visor to a helmet
  • scaredypants

I sweat a lot on the roadbike, and my eyes water loads if I don’t wear glasses. The combination means my rides are a bit like driving in a downpour due to sweat running down the lenses.

I’ve tried without glasses but I can barely see for the “tears”

Wondering about fixing a bit of clear plastic to the helmet to keep wind out of my eyes. Ayone tried ? Did it work ?

(not planning to go for the full TT-gimp look, just a thinnish strip)

legend
    Free Member

There’s a few skiing helmets like that, they may or may not look awesome – think “Maverick”. To get the strip big enough to be effective you’re going to look like a “gimp” anyway.

You’d also want to be able to flip it out of the way to help get air in for climbing

jam-bo

halo band or sweat gutr thingy to stop the sweat running into your eyes.

TiRed

Cycling cap under the helmet.

scaredypants

halo band or sweat gutr thingy to stop the sweat running into your eyes.

swamped within half an hour 😳 🙁

nemesis
    Free Member

The sweat tends not to run down your face into your eyes though if you have a cap or skullcap on, even if it’s saturated.

jam-bo

they direct the sweat away rather than soak it up. i found changing helmet mean’t i didnt need one anymore.

zilog6128

The sweat tends not to run down your face into your eyes though if you have a cap or skullcap on, even if it’s saturated.

^^^^ wot he said. I always wear a Buff pirate-style now. Keeps you warm in the winter, stops the sweat problem in the summer.

scaredypants

I have tried a headbandy thing and a buff in the past – genuinely was swamped and did then run over my gegs

Might look at a gutr but they sho’ don’t look comfy

cookeaa

Cycling cap under the helmet.

This was my first thought also.

Might I also ask, does sir have a healthy thatch a’top?

My own hair is very thick (and lustrous) if I let it grow, but then I sweat like a well know deviant TV entertainer, who’s been given the keys to a psychiatric unit…
    Grade 2-3 keeps my noggin suitably cool, and if the weather becomes too frosty I can always don a “buff”.

scaredypants

Might I also ask, does sir have a healthy thatch a’top?

err, not really, no 😆

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

With a tinted visor so no one can see your suffering.

nealglover
    Free Member

I have one of these for skiing and they are awesome!

Might be a bit much for the bike though :mrgree:

muggomagic

vaseline on your eyebrows.

warpcow
    Free Member

Sweatgutr headbands are different if you’ve only tried Halo. A Halo lasted half an hour for me before it was sodden and the sweat just ran straight past the silicon strip. The Sweatgutr is only a silicon gutter, no fabric. It does also make you look like a gimp though, but most of the time it’s hidden by the helmet. Only issue is that the velcro bits could interfere with certain helmets.

molgrips
    Free Member

This thread is relevant to my interests. I find my eyebrows hold a lot of sweat which is then dislodged by vibration and sprays fine droplets on my shades. The droplets are too small to coalesce and run down the hydrophobic lens so the lens does not work as it should.

How do you lot wear buffs in hot weather then? Pics?

Neil-F
    Free Member

I wear a buff pirate stylee in winter, I am also follically challenged and sweat like a hot sweaty thing. Vaseline on the brow works, it forms a wall above your eyes and redirects the sweat dow nthe sides, but it can get a bit messy and small insects can stick to it. 😆

scotroutes

Buff.

Wear it over your head and with the excess material hanging down the back of your neck. This dries off as you ride, so wicks excess moisture away from the front bit. Worn like this, it’s not too hot for the summer either and is certainly better than salty eyes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it long enough to shade the nape of your neck also?

scotroutes

At least partially, yes.

Might depend on the size of your head though.

scaredypants

proto a is ready for testing

pray for me, I’m going in*

*out

spooked
    Free Member

Is it the met synthesis helmet where the pads were silicone instead of foam? The brow pad channels sweat away and I found it useful and worked really well.

I broke it chucking random stuff in the cupboard annoying but the venting on it was phenomenal. Coolest helmet ive ever owned and might be worth checking out.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You lot a putting in Waaaayyy toooo much effort.

CHillax ondabike 😛

D0NK

How do you lot wear buffs in hot weather then? Pics?

pirate style but I remove lid for climbing, may or may not remove buff while I have helmet on.

On the road wait for a quiet open stretch, remove glasses, place palm on front of helmet and push, squeeze forehead pad against bonce, sweat runs down face, wipe face with wrist mounted buff (glove snot wipes don’t really cut it when it’s hot), replace glasses 🙄
    May try vaselined eyebrows.

soobalias
    Free Member

riding buddy of mine (mtb) has a pantyliner at the front of his lid.

super absorbant and fresh as a daisy. so far we have not seen him roller skating and flicking the vs at mother nature – we have seen him take a lot of stick when he takes the lid off.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I use a couple inch strip of Buff around my forehead. Works a treat at stopping sweat going in to my eyes. There great at wicking sweat away and dry in the wind. Not hot either as there just a band of material

pictonroad

Only thing that works for me is a Gutr and the Met helmets with the rubber front pad.

Even in snow I’m sweating. It’s a total pain.

chaos

I’ve got a (wind)surfing helmet that came with one of these though I’ve found it was a pain on the water.

Worth a try to see if you could retro-fit it to your helmet? there is a clear version as well- http://gathhelmets.co.uk/?product=convertible-visors-half-face

warpcow
    Free Member

^This for me too (though not the MET helmets bit). I’ve tried almost all the other tips and various helmets and just come to the conclusion that I’m a sweaty bugger. The Sweat Gutr is the only thing that has come close to staunching the flow. It’s a shame MET don’t really suit my head shape, more companies should move beyond silly absorbent pads above the eyes.

molgrips
    Free Member

place palm on front of helmet and push

Yes, very familiar with that 🙂

downhilldave

^^^^ Me too, never occurred to me to look for a fix. will do now though 😉

downhilldave

Ordered a Halo 2. See if it works for me

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

Rscott
    Free Member
    soulwood
    Free Member

If you want to keep sweat out of your eyes then the only item that has worked for me is the sweathawg cap, ordered from the US. Other items have been too hot, too tight resulting in a headache or just not good enough. They are one of the best bits of kit I have bought recently.

teethgrinder

Shave head. Antiperspirant on head.

aP
    Free Member

I have a couple of lightweight bandanas which are good for reducing sweat dribblage.
    Lazer helmets have a silicone/ rubbery headband with sweat channels which works quite well.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Picturz needed.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just ride faster, that way thee wind through your lid drys the sweat

mechanised

Or go for the ‘enduro’ look with a pair of goggles? (Only suitable for MTB though!) With the foam padding across forehead and down the sides sweat doesn’t pour into your eyes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘looking (more) like a cock by adding a visor to a helmet’ is closed to new replies.