Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Look Quartz pedals – Anyone using these?
  • brumsgrove
    Free Member

Thinking of buying some, so: Are they any good? How well are the bearings lasting? Opinions please.

gee
    Free Member

They're dreadful. The bearings last 5 minutes. I know several people who used them, everyone's gone back to Shimano.

Buy some M540s and be done with it.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Try Time – Bombproof

rob2
    Free Member

i've got two pairs. Had them about two years no problems. No problems with bearings, but maybe I've been lucky.

A bit fiddly to set up but easily better than spds IMO. Try a change!

rickon
    Free Member

Me too, I've got two pairs – a set on the single speed and another on the full sus, they're amazing. No problems so far, and the SS has had heavy use.

For me they're far superior to Shimano SPDs.

They feel very similar to Crank Bros pedals.

If you do get some, spend a little time setting the correct height of the cleats with the shims provided – it really pays off.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Didnt like the set i had.Couldnt load the pedals outwards to correct the bike in air.They unclipped if you did this.

Back on shimanos.

gee
    Free Member

They feel like Crank Brothers? Yep – they both have too much play in the bearings.

njee20
    Free Member

They were the worst product I've ever used! I had some of the cheap ones and the Carbon Ti ones, the latter seized solid after two rides. They were very hard to get set up right, either hard to clip in, or your foot came out the whole time, caused me a couple of crashed when my foot got ejected when the bike bounced around. Total crap!

smell_it
    Free Member

Got a set of the carbon ones, 9 months heavy use without a squeak. Nice light weight replacement for the times they replaced, and they feel pretty similar in use.

rickon
    Free Member

They feel like Crank Brothers? Yep – they both have too much play in the bearings

nope, not on mine. Both sets are solid. Maybe i eat less pies? 😉

njee20
    Free Member

They did update the pedals after the first batch, which mine were from, so perhaps they improved them, they certainly can't have made them worse! On my experience I just can't recommend them in the least though!

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats it Gee – diet will solve all your issues 😉 – you too nick

njee20
    Free Member

Well we are both horrible fat buggers who never actually ride bikes 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah lets have a fat club to help us loose weight 😉 – ti bolts all round ?

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I am a lifelong Time fanboi but Time pedals are a bit lardy so when the Look ones came along I thought I'd give them a go.

I didn't get on with them, the shimming to get them set up I found fiddly in the extreme and needed adjusting after a couple of months. I also suffered quite a lot of unexpected releases, perhaps that's down to my skill level but there you go. I did not have problems with bearings though and had the entry level models. I have heard (and can believe) that rock strikes can smash them pretty easily (plastic bodied) but didn't have this happen to me.

In the end I went back to Times and sod the weight.

njee20
    Free Member

I think the issue with the shimming is that it's shoe dependant. As your tread wears your pedals start to work differently.

IMO it's just a horrendous design for an MTB pedal, they should not be reliant on the tread to work!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Look Quartz pedals – Anyone using these?’ is closed to new replies.