Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • lonscale fell
  • coxy17
    Free Member

In the lakes for kids half term.we can get in one more ride, can anyone recommend the ride from keswick along the railway line to wescoe then the loop up lonsace fell and back to keswick.how long is the route and how technical is it.looking for something different than whinlatter. or anysuggestions from keswick please

scaredypants

do you mean to Threlkeld and round the blencathra valley head ?

my wife’s been round it and she’s no biker. Main climb to the head of the valley is longish but technically easy even when off-road.

Next bit is a short ride through a bog, followed by climb/walk up a running stream (IME) with wet feet pretty much a safe bet

After that, easy running again apart from one off-camber rocky bit that has a pretty steep drop at the edge – should be walked by your kids but I doubt they’d try it on anyway if they’re cautious types

total length 15-20 I’d guess but fair bit is “flat” railway

coxy17
    Free Member

Yes that sounds like the one.it was recommended to us by the chap in the cycle shop in whitehaven today.would be doing this route with my 18yr old lad.the wife and daughter are going to the pencil museum.

grum
    Free Member

It’s a really nice little route IMO with some stunning views. Careful on the rocky bit on the traverse round Lonscale Fell – there’s a fair drop and someone fell off there and died not so long ago. It’s only a short stretch though and the rest is non-technical.

Nice fast descent with little drainage channel jumps back down Spoony Green Lane into Keswick at the end (watch out for walkers, it can be really busy).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘lonscale fell’ is closed to new replies.