Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which Workstand?
  • benmotogp46
    Free Member

I’m looking to purchase a new work stand and the two I am considering are as follows:

X-Tools Home Mechanic Prep Stand
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10226

or

Park Tool Home Mechanic PCS9 Repair Stand
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5787

If anyone has any experience or opinions as to which is the better of the two then I would be grateful for your knowledge.

Also, if you would prefer to recommend something else, that would also be helpful.

I’ll only be spending a maximum of £90 before any silly suggestions come in though…..

Cheers, Ben.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

x-tools is a catalogue job as ive got one, its not good with weight, but it was £30 so im not complaining.

Id get the park.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

That X-Tools one is the same as the one Ribble sell for £52:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/bike-tool-aluminium-workstand/bikework200000000000

I’ve got one and it’s pretty good. Can probably find it even cheaper if you look around. I think mine actually had Raleigh on the box.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Oh, and I doubt the Park one is any lighter, being made of steel as opposed to ally of the other one.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

When i say weight i mean it wont deal with a heavy bike, not that its heavy

wolly
    Free Member

Really like my pcs 9 very solid and looks cool

firestarter
    Free Member

Park one and they are 70 quid on amazon mate or 90 for the updated pcs10 tho not sure how much it differs or if its actually better

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That X-Tools one is the same as the one Ribble sell for £52:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/bike-tool-aluminium-workstand/bikework200000000000

I’ve got one and it’s pretty good. Can probably find it even cheaper if you look around. I think mine actually had Raleigh on the box.

All that +1, very little to fault it, hold about 40lb without wobbling, i haven’t got anything heavier.

andyl
    Free Member

I would avoid the X-tools/Ribble/edinburgh etc one I’m afraid. Tried it and didn’t like the flex in the head. You can pick up a Park PCS10 for a little over £100 if you look around. I have a Feedback Sports Sport at Dads I am looking forward to trying.

firestarter
    Free Member

Or for 89.99 if you read my other post first 😉

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Don’t notice any flex in the head of mine, what flex there is is in the main upright I think.

I haven’t tried the Park one but looking at the pictures I’d actually venture to say the clamp is better on the generic one. From the looks of it you have to crank the Park one all the way open and all the way closed on the thread to get the bike in and out.

The generic one has an over centre quick release on the clamp, with a threaded bit for fine adjustment.

edit: looks like the PCS10 has a similar over-centre quick release jobby, but the PCS9 does not

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Every so often Lidl do one for £30 which is much better than the ones you are looking at. It has 4 legs so is much more stable and a really good clamp. I use it for my business and it’s been faultless. They generally do them mid summer if you can wait that long…

http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-59515FA1-7BFDC760/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_32414.htm?offerdate=7510&ar2=3&id=90&country=GB&zipcode=DE21+4SY&city=Derbyshire&district=Derby&street=Mansfield+Road&ar=3&nf=True

tomhoward

The one lidl do, I’ve got. It’s a catalogue job and while it’s fine for the price, I’d get the park one next time. It’s far too flexy as all the connecting points are plastic, even the clamp. Where the vertical tube joins the horizontal, it’s impossible as the plastic clamp can’t get enough purchase on the smooth tube to stop the bike causing it to rotate.

edlong
    Free Member

I really can’t recommend the Park PCS 10 highly enough. Great piece of kit for the money, and well worth the extra over the PCS 9.

firestarter
    Free Member

What’s the difference between the 9 and 10 in use mate

spyke85
    Free Member

+1 for the Edinburgh Bicycle stand

matther01
    Free Member

Had the same dilemma a few days ago and posted here with no response.

Found the PCS9 on Amazon for £66 and the Raleigh at Ribble for £53.

The Raleigh folds so takes up less room, is cheaper and also got 10/10 in a bike mag (cycle something or other).

Waiting for it to be delivered in the next couple of days.

At £53 inc delivery and the good write ups, seemed daft not to try it. Most other places sell it for between £60-£100.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Thanks all, very helpful.

I think i’ll be going for the PCS10 from Amazon as suggested.

br
    Free Member

edit: looks like the PCS10 has a similar over-centre quick release jobby, but the PCS9 does not

which is why I bought a 9 a few years ago, it just works and works well – any size post etc

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

b r – Member

which is why I bought a 9 a few years ago, it just works and works well – any size post etc

That makes no sense. The PCS10 one would also be just as adjustable on the thread as the PCS9, but with the added convenience of quick release for the actual clamping action.

andyl
    Free Member

The flex on mine was in the whole plastic head. There seemed to be an earlier version (that got 10/10) with a metal head looking at the pictures but the one I got was all black plastic and flexed when holding my bike by the seat tube. When doing any work on the drivetrain the bike bobbed up and down and the head creaked. Maybe I had one that was moulded poorly though.

I ended up with a Lidl one to make do which I found much more sturdy but the screw only clamps causes me problems with my hand (damaged tendons) so i have a Feedback sports one on the way. The lidl one is really stable but 4 legs is not so good on uneven ground.

For £50 the Ribble et al one is a really slick working stand and if I could clamp my bike by the top tube I would have been happy with it.

The PCS10 for £90 is an absolute bargain as it is so solid. Definitely worth it over the PCS9 as the clamp is better and it folds up easier from the looks of it (not tried to fold it). If I didn’t have the feedback I would go for the PCS10.

benmotogp46
    Free Member
    keppoch

There are some mentions of Park PCS10 workstands for around the £90 mark on this thread.

Has anyone seen one at this sort of price from a non Ebay source recently?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which Workstand?’ is closed to new replies.